Author Topic: DM10 Studio Kit - How to Listen to Drumless tracks/play & record at the sametime  (Read 1464 times)

Hi All,

I have just started learning to play drums with my DM10 studio kit.

Have advanced to a stage where I can play ACDC drumless track.

I am planning to record a cover and upload to youtube.

This is my challenge. I do not have a USB audio interface. And I only have a MacBook Pro with a headphone port.

I am using Audacity to record what I play. So from the headphone jack to the Mac the cable is connected. So recording is not a problem. At the module headphone jack, I have connected a splitter cable so that I can connect my headphones as well.
With this setup, the recording part and listening to what I play is sorted out.

Now I want to play along with the drumless track to complete my recording. This part really gets complicated. If I connect my mobile through the back two input source, audacity starts recording the drumless track along with what I play as one track. I don't want this.

I need to listen to the track through my headphone to play & record.

Is there any way you have overcome this problem? Please let me know.

Thanks
Luke

Online Hellfire

Hi All,

I have just started learning to play drums with my DM10 studio kit.

Have advanced to a stage where I can play ACDC drumless track.

I am planning to record a cover and upload to youtube.

This is my challenge. I do not have a USB audio interface. And I only have a MacBook Pro with a headphone port.

I am using Audacity to record what I play. So from the headphone jack to the Mac the cable is connected. So recording is not a problem. At the module headphone jack, I have connected a splitter cable so that I can connect my headphones as well.
With this setup, the recording part and listening to what I play is sorted out.

Now I want to play along with the drumless track to complete my recording. This part really gets complicated. If I connect my mobile through the back two input source, audacity starts recording the drumless track along with what I play as one track. I don't want this.

I need to listen to the track through my headphone to play & record.

Is there any way you have overcome this problem? Please let me know.

Thanks
Luke

First off, welcome to the forum.

So, you just want to record your drum track (from your module) only, but you want to listen to the drumless track as you play?

Is that correct?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:32:59 AM by Hellfire »

That's absolutely correct...

What I am planning to do is to have live recording.

Will have 2 mobiles doing the video recording part. One me playing and the other positioned down at the kicker.

There will be no after editing to the drum track I played and recorded so that it will be in sync with the video.

The drum less track and my track will complete the audio part. And me playing will be the main video with the kicker video placed inside my main video in the corner...

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:57:46 AM by LukeAugustus »

Online Hellfire

That's absolutely correct...

What I am planning to do is to have live recording.

Will have 2 mobiles doing the video recording part. One me playing and the other positioned down at the kicker.

There will be no after editing to the drum track I played and recorded so that it will be in sync with the video.

The drum less track and my track will complete the audio part. And me playing will be the main video with the kicker video placed inside my main video in the corner...

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you plan on recording both your module and drum-less track, what does it matter if you record both at the same time? Wouldn't they then be in sync with out editing?