Author Topic: Comparing kits CrimsonII vs Command Mesh...  (Read 9632 times)

Comparing kits CrimsonII vs Command Mesh...
« on: May 12, 2018, 04:27:43 PM »
I'm beginning deliberations towards treating myself to a new electronic drum kit in the next few months.
Played drums most of my life, played acoustic (Maxwin, Mapex, Traps) and electric (Roland TD5, Ddrum 4, Alesis DMPro, Roland SPD20, SPD-X).
No longer gigging or playing 'seriously' but would like something quiet to play at home with headphones, mainly for fun, but maybe some home recording.
Currently looking at Command Mesh or CrimsonII. From looking online it seems the sound modules are as good as identical, but the manuals seem to differ on the extra pad inputs - the Crimson says TRS (implying dual zone pades) but the Command says TS? But Midi Notes on both list dual zones for all??
The pads:
Although the drum pads are different sizes, all appear to be dual zone (head/rim). Is there any functional / quality difference between the Command or Crimson pads, or is it purely size?
The cymbals:
The website for Crimson says DMPad 12" with choke - are these single trigger with choke or dual trigger (edge/bow) with choke? The DMPad 14" Triple-Zone Ride - I'm guessing edge/bow/bell - I assume this doesn't have choke?
What about the Command cymbals - they just say 10" ride w/choke and 10" crash w/choke. Are these both single zone?

Any thoughts or comments about the comparisons / differences between these kits would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline DannyM

Re: Comparing kits CrimsonII vs Command Mesh...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 02:58:33 PM »
I would go with the Crimson 2.

I have an original Command and although it has been good, over time I got my hands on a crimson snare on an stand (less vibration than attached to the rack & no crosstalk) and replaced the Command crash cymbal with a Crimson crash with choke and 12 inch high hat of the Crimson version to replace the Command hi-hat. The cymbals from the Crimson are much more durable I think. The Command cymbals quit choking after time and I am not a heavy hitter so I now use one as a china.
 I have had no issues with the Crimson cymbals.
Also the module is the same except for the firmware, Crimson has a few more kits and can play a dual zone cymbal, Command shows both edge & bow on the ride, but the firmware only plays one zone, at least it seems that way. The Command & Crimson both havce pretty good sounds though , with a better amp you will really hear it sound nice, a crappy amp does not give it justice.

It may be a few bucks more, but go with the Crimson 2. I think in the long run you will enjoy it more and get more miles out of the cymbals.

At least that my take on it. I have enjoyed having the original Command, but now it is half Command/half Crimson

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 06:19:49 PM »
I would strongly recommend either getting the crimson II or the DM10MKII studio.    Those two kits actually do share modules and sounds.   The pads on the DM10MK2 Studio are black if you prefer that color.   10" snare instead of a 12" on the crimson II.  The reason I say to get either of those is because the original command does not to my knowledge have the YAMOC kit on it.  They say on the website they have the same amount of kits but I swore the command didn't have the yamoc kit which is the best one in the crimson II. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:25:17 PM by Purpledc »

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:11:20 AM »
Thanks both - it was my concerns about the cymbals on the Command kit that was causing me to consider the more expensive Crimson (after all, you often do get what you pay for!)

I accept the separate snare stand may be better for cross talk etc, but having previous experience of both fixed and separate snares, my personal preference would be to have it all on the one rack. And I would also prefer smaller drum pads (as I don't find them any harder to play, I would prefer my kit to be 'smaller', and I also like to play a non-standard config, so the tom sizes are irrelevant).

Do Alesis (or any retailers) offer the drum parts individually so you can build your own custom kit? I'd ideally like:
4x8" Toms (from Command)
1x8"or10" Snare (from Command)
1x8" Kick (from Command)
1x10" HiHat (from Command)
2x12" Crash (from Crimson)
1x14" Ride (from Crimson)
Crimson Module
HiHat Pedal
Rack

Looking on Thomann, they do some separates (Crimson pads, but not Command pads, Stirke module (but not Crimson), Crimson cymbals etc) - but I'm guessing it's going to be more expensive to put together a custom kit than buy one ready made.....