Author Topic: Alesis DM8 usb kit - shall i buy one?  (Read 7048 times)

Offline ks

Alesis DM8 usb kit - shall i buy one?
« on: August 31, 2011, 07:20:44 AM »
hello, i think to buy dm 8 usb, i think it has great specs, alesis says it`s silent and compact - thats exactly what i need, but i read some reviews - http://www.musicgearreview.com/article-display.php?ID=4247
http://walkerjanelle.com/post/7326800621
both says, that the kit isn`t solid enough, not for heavy hitters - kickpad broken, tom pad broken, ride broken..well, i want to hit hard, so - if someone bough it, share your opinion, is it good or not?

Offline Ennuk3

Re: Alesis DM8 usb kit - shall i buy one?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »
It would help if you told us where are you located.
If your in Europe I would recommend getting the DM10 Express Kit from Thomann, same price as the DM8 USB, but is simply the DM10 Studio without 1 cymbal, 1 pad and it has the old rack.

Offline ks

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 07:26:48 AM »
Yes, I`m in Europe. DM10 express looks cool, but I want silent kit with rubber pads for home use, dm10 is with real heads..DM8 pro looks even cooler, but the same - real heads..

Offline Ennuk3

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:05:54 AM »
You can convert to mesh on realhead pads.

Offline ks

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 01:46:13 PM »
so, i can use for example this
http://www.thomann.de/gb/tdrum_th8_triggerhead.htm
with dm-10 express pads, and it will be super quiet?

Offline Ennuk3

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »
Don't know your definition of "super quiet", but yes, they will reduce the noise and vibration substantially. I would recommend you start reading up on the mesh head conversion possibilities if you decide for the DM10 or the DM8 Pro.

Offline ks

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »
thanks a lot for the advices, but i just read about "mesh head conversion" - it seems, i have to do more, than just replacing the realhead with meshhead, as i thought - so, i have to give $$$ for electronic drums, then buy new heads, and then spend a week in my basement with my two left hands to remodel my new drums..not for me!
So again - is DM8 usb kit good?

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 06:52:32 AM »
My mesh head conversion just takes one simple task. Pud the reflection plate below the sponge with a hole in the middle, and VOILÁ, you have a perfect mesh conversion, with no work at all.

But answering the main question here: To be sincere, no clue. Never played on rubber pads, only on realheads and mesh ones.

If i were you, i would get the DM8 Pro, and strap some meshes in it. That, or you can try this little baby:

http://www.thomann.de/pt/milleniumalesis_mesh_headdm5_edrum_set.htm

It is a DM5, but with great mesh pads.
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

Offline ks

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 11:14:29 AM »
thanks a lot for advices, but i need small and compact low noise kit for my room, a kit easy to move, i dont think any mesh kit is small in size and as package..i found dm8 usb perfect for my needs, as module parameters, and its small and easy to set up, alesis says its quiet, but my only fear is - is it solid enough?..

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 02:29:27 PM »
Well i don't think that anyone has a DM8 usb in the forum, but i can say this:

The rack is stable. If it is like the DM10 Studio's, it is a great rack. The rubberpads. They are a bit noisy, but they give a good rebound. I prefer the mesh rather the rubber, because it is more "natural" the feel. Tried it not on a DM8, but on a friends DM7. If it is something similar, then for what you search, it is good.

Just one good word of advice. Fill the rack with some material that avoids vibration. The rubberpads send much more vibration, since you hit a solid material. Other than that, you are good to go =)
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever