Author Topic: How hard do you hit your Alesis Real Heads (DM8)?  (Read 7753 times)

How hard do you hit your Alesis Real Heads (DM8)?
« on: July 05, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I just acquired a DM8 Pro Kit, and already noticed a few stick dents in the heads. I immediately tuned each lug an extra 1-2 turns upon setting the kit up, but still notice dents. My attack angles are fine, and I am playing them maybe a little lighter than playing on an acoustic kit. Do I need to really tighten the lugs? Can the triggers be damaged? Thanks Everyone.

Re: How hard do you hit your Alesis Real Heads (DM8)?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »
I'm a pretty light hitter, and I think part of the denting is just that cheapish drum heads dent.  I almost never dent heads on my acoustic (with Aquarian heads) but have put a few in the Alesis kit and in heads other than the Aquarians on my acoustic.

My $0.02

Offline DrumBumWoody

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »
Tightening the head would be the first thing I would do.
The next is ajusting your technique, but if you are already a drummer ie: not a newbie, youre probaly OK.
Next would be the stick you are using and proper setup / angle of attack ie: not hitting into the surface but more flush and letting the stick rebound.
The Realheads are good so you shouldn't be having this problem other than the padding under the head wasn't put in right / missing.
DM10x2 Pro with surge cyms + additional surge crash and tom + Roland PD125 snare + Roland KD120 Kick with Iron Cobra double pedals, all with mesh heads(HellFire conversion - BBIII), DM7 USB, USB Pro, Trigger I/O, Tama percussion, Conga's, Bongo's, Roto Toms, cow bell and block.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 02:41:18 PM »
Thanks so much for your responses! Yes, I have been drumming for 32 years, however, this is my first eKit. I removed one of the heads to see what was underneath, and the foam was there. I use ball-tipped sticks by Zildjian (anti-vibe Trigger series). I will try tightening the heads a little more, and back-off the attack to see what happens. There is a steel plate under the foan, so I do not think I damaged anything....

Offline DrumBumWoody

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 03:10:43 PM »
I'm sure you didn't damage anything.
32 years, I'm sure you know what your doing by now.
I convered to mesh heads as I didn't like the Realheads, this might be an alternative for you also.
DM10x2 Pro with surge cyms + additional surge crash and tom + Roland PD125 snare + Roland KD120 Kick with Iron Cobra double pedals, all with mesh heads(HellFire conversion - BBIII), DM7 USB, USB Pro, Trigger I/O, Tama percussion, Conga's, Bongo's, Roto Toms, cow bell and block.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
I was actually reviewing some You Tube videos on the mesh conversion. A few internet posts even suggested removing the first foam layer under the head, and replacing with a mouse-pad type material. Thanks again for your insight!

Offline drumday

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
Concur with responses given.  I've actually begun striking the heads more lightly as I no longer bash as is sometimes called for on acoustics, for musical & visual effects.  I even went to a lighter stick (7A) vs. the the 5A/Buddy signatures I'd been using most recently.  It's kind of a natural progression for me to being playing softer, less aggressively anyway.

I wouldn't be concerned at all about changing your technique.  I did the mesh conversion to reduce ambient noise, and am using nylon tip, altho I use wood on acoustic.

Other than that, focus on tweaking the xtalk, threshold & sensitivity settings, and play like you always have.
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 01:11:28 PM »
Thanks again, Drumday!

Offline DrumBumWoody

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 03:53:30 PM »
bobav, you don't dent your a-drum heads?
Just asking because if you go on any drum forum or just google dents in drum heads you will get the same responce..."hitting too hard".
So if you don't dent your a-drum heads I would say you should try using the same head you use on your a-drums and that might indicate something.

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 03:43:52 PM »
Thanks DrumBumWoody! I called Alesis today to see if they offered just the their Alesis-branded black heads, and they don't! They said maybe when the realhead kits have been out in the market a bit longer. I am thinking about upgrading them to Aquarion or Remo black coated heads. I think the stock Alesis heads are designed similar to what a resonating head (bottom of the drum) would be used for. Just looks. The Remo and Aquarion heads are designed for batter-side playing.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 08:31:03 AM »
I've replaced mine with black 10" Remo heads with no problems. The only real problems I've had revolve around breaking the rim on my snare pad -- I play horns out.. ;)

Technically the head can be dented and it'll still trigger fine, however over time the foam under it will deteriorate which can affect the triggering - no worries, it can be replaced with craft foam.
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »
Thanks DeeDubs! I was thinking of upgrading them to Aquarion or Remo black suede coated for more resilience.

Greg

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »
I don't hit my DM8 Pro kit hard at all. I've got it set up so the pads and cymbals are sensitive to the touch. I have the drum heads real tight and I use a wood tip jazz type stick. Nylon tips are hard on heads. With this approach my equipment stays in great working order. I used to be a basher when I was younger and it was popular (80's hair rock) but now I enjoy a light approach with dynamics. :)

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2011, 06:34:16 PM »
i have the orignal heads on my DM10 and i have no problem playing hard, but keep in mind that if you hit the alesis heads REALLY hard then it will dent like a normal evans or remo tom head...
DM10 Pro kit, Mesh Heads, Quad Kicks, Dampened Rack, Extra Roland Crashes.

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 01:48:17 AM »
I got a couple of dents on my drum heads when the beater head of one of the cheap sticks I was using flew off and I didn't notice. But other than that, there never have been any other marks and I do think I am playing firmly, given the level of noise from striking the pads.

You might be playing a little hard, if you'll pardon my saying so, cause 32 years must have really sorted out your chops :)

- Jimmy Rage
Warrior poet, guitar vocalist bassist drummer
... and inventor of the three-legged setup

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 04:33:01 PM »
I'm sure you didn't damage anything.
32 years, I'm sure you know what your doing by now.
I convered to mesh heads as I didn't like the Realheads, this might be an alternative for you also.

I converted to Mesh heads (Hart Magnum) too but put the white foam on top of the resonator plate and the black foam at the bottom because it already had a hole in it. I opened a hole through the white foam all the way to the resonator plate in a matter of 3 weeks with different stick sizes.
I just HAVE to play with big sticks that have mass and bounce, otherwise I injure myself. So in that matter I'm thinking right now that the DM10 drum kit  mesh head mod wasn't the best idea for durability and am considering a Cone mod approach.