Author Topic: Bass (Kick) drum pad signal level?  (Read 2860 times)

Bass (Kick) drum pad signal level?
« on: July 01, 2011, 10:55:57 AM »
I was laying down some tracks today when my kick lost volume. I had a look and the signal has dropped off for no apparent reason. I set the sensitivity up to 99 and I was still only getting about 3/4 of a signal.

I pulled the lead out and tried it on a tom - it worked perfectly so I can only assume that There is a problem with the pad. Anyone know how to test/fix this problem?

DM10 pro with the surge cymbals BTW.

I have a sneaky suspicion that I might have to pull it apart and check the connections or replace the sensor?

Help!

Offline Burtmeister

Re: Bass (Kick) drum pad signal level?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 12:57:34 AM »
Where you've already tried the lead on another pad and it works I would also assume that the pad is bad. You could try connecting the kick pad to another lead just to be sure. The inner workings of the pad aren't all that complex but I'm pretty sure you'll void any warranty if you have one by opening it up. I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are in the diy area of things. I haven't had any problems with my kick pads as of yet, but I did disassemble them to do the mesh head conversions. Hellfire has a video of what the inner workings of the pad are here: http://www.hellfiredrums.com/archives/803

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 09:10:58 AM »
Yeah thanks for that. I have seen the movie for the mesh head conversion and it's not too intimidating. I'll try it on the other leads to see if it triggers normally.

I can't understand how the signal is dropping off. I don't quite understand how the kick drum is triggered but It seems strange that it is losing level and not just stopping dead.

Oh well I'll try plugging it in various ways and maybe pull it apart and have a look for anything obvious.

:)

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 08:46:46 PM »
I have the exactly same problem!! could you fix it???

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »
Sounds like it could be a broken lead on the piezo sensor, especially if it happened suddenly. If you have soldering skills, it should be easy to fix (provided you're okay with potentially losing the warranty).

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:20:20 PM »
I've heard before that too much banging (specially with double pedals) and that pad could break the piezoelectric. Did you followed the instructions and tensed the heads appropriately before playing. Also, did you do the mesh head mod or not. The reason being that it will add a layer of foam on top of the piezoelectric/metallic plate combo.

Try switching pad with one of the toms (for testing only) and be gentle. Also try to make your beater reach vertically as possible instead of sinking into the head.