Author Topic: Broken cymbal arm  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Dobly

Broken cymbal arm
« on: October 20, 2016, 04:57:42 PM »
The sort of things I'd expect from cheap hardware.. (hang on...??)

My DM10X kit came with 3 of these short cymbal boom arms.

The arrow is pointing to a joint that is not suppose to turn, but it does.

In the case of the Ride cymbal as I play it, it moves away from me.

This has happened to 2 of the 3 boom arms on this kit. Might have happened to the 3rd one too but I have not checked it.

There is what looks like a little black rivet. Maybe that can be tapped back in, but now that they have turned, I will not be sure that i am tapping them into their holes. Even if I could tap them back in, they would just fall out again.

Any ideas on how to fix these?

My only plan at this stage is to drill right though it and put a small nut and bolt on it. Anyone have a more elegant solution?

Anyone one else have this issue?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 06:05:59 PM by Dobly »

Re: Broken cymbal arm
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 08:38:20 PM »
i had two of those that snapped at the neck, had to buy new cymbal arms and a new rack attachment because the opening of the dm10x is an oddball size
DM10(BlueJay)/DM8/iO, SD3; Shure SE215, Simmons DA50, Alto ZMX862, Focusrite Scarlett; Tama SpeedCobra, VF 7AN, Roc-N-Soc;
DIY: Tennis Ball Drum Riser, Cymbal Felt Beater, Footswitch Cymbal Choker[url]

Offline AlanK

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 02:52:23 PM »
Hey Dobly, I'm almost certain those black things are set screws, and you need a super small Allen key to tighten them up. May be wrong, of course, but it's fairly common to see those tiny set screws on cymbal stands keeping things in place like the mounting piece where the clamps are for tightening each section of tube and so on
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 02:57:55 PM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 09:03:02 PM »
No AlanK. Nothing as fancy as allen keys and small threaded nuts on the DM10X kit.

The little black things are small rivet type things..

It turned out that 2 of them had these rivets fall out. The 3rd was was still in place. But not for long as you will see..

While I was at it I removed the Alesis stickers.

I then used a small punch to put each rivet back in,

making sure to push it in a few mm further in.

Time for the big guns.. I whipped out the 24 hour epoxy resin.

Then carefully filled each void with epoxy.

Once in it looked like this.

Once dry it will never come  out again.

In the end I did the 3rd one as well. Just knocked it's rivet in a little and applied the epoxy.

This should hold them.

soccerdude84.. Man you must get a mighty big run up to break these stands. :)

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 06:46:50 PM »
wow those are hi res photos! and good fix, I'll have to have a closer look at my boom stands, I never noticed rivets
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 07:07:51 PM »
You can only get the rivets out if they have moved out enough to be grabbed with pliers.  If they are still in situ you can just leave them or if worried about it just tap them in a little and put some epoxy in there.

The photos are from my Samsung S6. I discovered this trick for macro (close up) photos that works on every mobile I have tried it on.

Here it is in case you are interested.

First zoom the phone. ie: make it as telephoto as you can as if you were trying to shoot something in the distance.

Now hold the phone about 30cm (1 foot) from some subject, and tap the screen to focus. If it focuses, move the phone closer and tap it again. Keep doing this as you move the phone in. When you find it can't focus move the phone back a little. That is is your closest macro setting.

This is a USB stick, as close as my S6 will focus. I never need to get this close with it.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:01:36 AM by Dobly »