Author Topic: DM6 cable snake?  (Read 5360 times)

DM6 cable snake?
« on: October 17, 2016, 10:27:17 AM »
Hi there!

I've been using my Alesis DM6 kit for a number of years now. Recently I moved houses and the DM6 cable snake has got lost in the move.

I've called a few places and they've all told me the product has been discontinued. Has anyone got an old/spare one that I could purchase? Or better yet, would anyone be able to point me in the right direction so I can play again? ;D

Thanks in advance!

Offline Chaser

Re: DM6 cable snake?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:44:15 AM »
Hi there!

I've been using my Alesis DM6 kit for a number of years now. Recently I moved houses and the DM6 cable snake has got lost in the move.

I've called a few places and they've all told me the product has been discontinued. Has anyone got an old/spare one that I could purchase? Or better yet, would anyone be able to point me in the right direction so I can play again? ;D

Thanks in advance!

I purchased a few DM6 on a Christmas special a few years ago..there were different versions.
There are 3 different versions of cable snakes for DM6 vs DM6USB/USB Express.. and Session.

One had (7) 1/4"..
one had (7) 3- 1/8" + 4-1/4"
and the expansion cable (9) 1/4" to upgrade the USB express to USB kit.. which added 2 trigger inputs   

Here are links to companies that carry spare parts

http://www.instrumentalparts.com/aldm6dm6sppa.html
(3)1/8" + (4) 1/4" cable
http://www.instrumentalparts.com/6281300840-a.html
(7) 1/4" cable
http://www.newenglandmusicsupply.com/replacement-parts/alesis-dm6-cable-snake/prod_215.html
(9)1/4" expansion cable. that added 2 more trigger inputs
http://www.alesis.com/dm6cablesnake

There was also a firmware update for the module in 2012 to v06.

also note for future reference the power adapter must be 9 Volt DC..NOT 9 Volt AC (Most Alesis modules..drum machines are AC)

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2023, 02:27:47 PM »
Did you ever try an Alesis Nitro Cable snake? (seems like it would be similar)
If so, did it work?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2023, 10:49:35 PM »
Did you ever try an Alesis Nitro Cable snake? (seems like it would be similar)
If so, did it work?

I purchased the kits for Christmas Gifts years before the DM6 Nitro Kit came out and before they were known as DM6 Kits.
There is no need to create multiple posts for the same question if someone has an answer they would have answered it...The DM6 was discontinued before the DM6/Nitro which replaced it and only out for a less than a year , probably to get rid of excess DM6 inventory.The DM6 is/was based on the Medeli DD501..the DM6 NITRO is based on the Medeli DD512.Alesis created a mess mixing/interchanging older DM Kits/Hardware and Re-Branding/New names for the same modules.
Earlier modules upgraded by changing the harness..later modules use the same harness but different firmware so you have to upgrade the module like the Medeli DD650 series (DM10 Pro Studio,Command,Crimson/II and Forge)

All DB25 cable/snakes are "similar"..they are pinned differently and per module design.The rings are tied to a pin so if you use a TRS type on a TS type and don't know which pin the Ring (Typically rim or edge) is tied you won't know the result..the TS may have an unused pin or it may be a ground.Some of the Harnesses were mixed with 1/4" and 1/8". The DM6 was an early module that used multiple harnesses and there was a 9 cable you could use to expand so those pins went to Tip.
The original DM6 was renamed to the DM6 USB.. DM6/Nitro is/was a DM6 USB Kit with a Nitro/DM7X (Medeli DD512)..the Nitro Kit was a DM7X/Nitro Module (Medeli DD512) with the DM7X Kit..the later Nitro Mesh kits were completely different and have mesh Heads using the same Medeli DD512 Module.
All DM6 Kits used the Stealth rack with the exception of the DM6 Session Kit.The Nitro/Surge use the same module and the same harness (Medeli DD512) , the difference being mainly hardware as the Surge included Dual Zone Toms and a standard 1-1/2" tubing rack whereas the Nitro had single zone and a rack with multiple diameter tubing.
The DM6 is single zone except for the snare..some earlier DM6 Kits used 1/8" cables for the snare/toms...some of the Nitro Kits use a 1/8" Hi Hat pedal..some used 1/4".
A Dual Zone TRS harness will not make a DM6 (Medeli DD501) Dual Zone it's a firmware limitation/lack of samples.

There is still a lot of confusion going on for all of these harnesses..
According to this listing on Reverb he received a 628130106-A cable from Alesis for his Burst Kit (DISCONTINUED..uses DM6 Module) and it wasn't compatible..doesn't state why other than didn't fit so it may have been 1/4" to 1/8' difference.
The Burst Kit was another attempt using the DM7X Kit,this time with a DM6 Module (Medeli DD501).
628130106-A is for a DM7X module..which is also the early/original Nitro module and you can see the DM7X on the bottom of the module shown on the Nitro Product page on Alesis site.
All Burst,Nitro info has been removed from the Alesis Knowledge Base making room for the New Knowledge Base which is slowly replacing everything.

There was another listing and the description warns as I have mentioned above...

"Brand new wiring harness for the Alesis Surge & DM6 Nitro Electronic Drum Kits.  Please note: This cable does not fit the DM6 kit or the Alesis Nitro kit, which are different than the "DM6 Nitro".  It has nine 1/4" plugs, 7 are stereo TRS cables and 2 are mono TS cables. No returns on this item, so please make sure this is the cable you need before purchasing. "

The Alesis site Knowledge base links to the New Knowledge Base which no longer lists the older products pages which are in the links provided and a number of kits/Products have been removed from the Legacy Section  which no longer lists the older products pages for some of the kits I have listed.
If you have access to a FREE cable try it you have nothing to lose if it's FREE..otherwise I wouldn't expect much more of an answer as mixing different module components rarely works out 100% especially if the only info to go on is "I have  DM6 module" or "I have a DM6 Kit"..as the correct harness isn't just determined by the module but also the triggers.

DM6 Express

DM6 USB (Formerly DM6)

DM6 Session

DM6 Nitro
(removed from Alesis  Knowledge Base and Legacy )

Nitro

Nitro Mesh

Burst Kit (DM6 Module..DM7X Session Kit)

DM7X Kit

DM7X Kit

Alesis: LEGACY SECTION

EDIT:
Fixed bad Link
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 12:29:23 PM by Chaser »