Author Topic: New windows user latency question  (Read 3035 times)

New windows user latency question
« on: July 19, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »
Okay. So for the past several years I’ve been using a mid 2009 MacBook Pro with a 1.2 ghz dual core and 4 gigs of ram. I was using garage band and addictive drums. I had really no noticeable latency issues with this machine.   My MacBook crapped out so I bought a new windows machine. It’s got an i7 quad core and 16 gigs of ram. Mainly because of price and work. I’m using Reaper and addictive drums. I’ve got the latency down to playable but still not as good as the MacBook. I have tried Asio4all over the built in drivers but that made it worse. Would some sort of external sound device make it better?  Thanks all.
Jacob Liford
Your Average Drummer

Offline korakios

Re: New windows user latency question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 05:39:56 AM »
If the Wasapi drivers have big latency (I don’t think they go below 96 buffer) try doubling sample rate but it may lead to audio glitches cause the cpu will be stressed .
Other than going to Linux which will require lot of time to learn new stuff , only way is buying an Asio usb card to work with 64 buffer.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 10:00:23 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  So i'm looking into getting an external audio interface.   My question is would I still plug the drums into the pc via usb and just use the external device for monitoring or would I use the MIDI cable and plug into the external sound card?
Jacob Liford
Your Average Drummer

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »
Hi Jacob. You'd use one of the midi out methods from your module to the audio interface, then AI to your PC (in my case, I use the old DIN style output from my DM10 to my Tascam AI input, then use the USB (printer cable) style out from my AI to my computer which talks both ways (sends the audio back to my AI, then I can plug my headphones in the Tascam or send to a mixer for vol and EQ).

Hope that helps, good luck!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 10:41:48 AM »
Thank you.  That helps a ton.  I've never used one of the audio interfaces so wasn't really sure how it worked.  Thanks again. 
Jacob Liford
Your Average Drummer

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »
Excellent! I briefly got to use an iMac with my Addictive Drums2 and there was almost no latency, I didn't need to use my interface. But going back to my PC DAW there's enough to notice so I bought a cheap Tascam on sale (I tried about 3 but found the knobs were either so small or on the front and way too hard to reach while playing if I needed to adjust volume.. the Tascam was on sale, likely now obsolete, but it has huge top facing dials that I can reach and adjust while I keep beat and does a good enough job..plus, I had to find an audio interface that still had both the USB and old school DIN connector type MIDI inputs.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline korakios

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 11:20:59 AM »
@jacobliford
Just curious, what’s your current buffer setting?  If not sure you can upload a screenshot on Reaper audio settings :)

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 12:42:36 PM »
The lowest I can get it down to is about 128 before it starts cracking and popping.  That's with the standard audio drivers.  With Asio the lowest I can get is about 164 before it gives out.  The audio card is a in realtek that i'm using currently 
Jacob Liford
Your Average Drummer

Offline korakios

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 12:47:06 PM »
Try disabling the audio input and play with the wasapi modes (shared , exclusive etc) .
Although I don’t think it will go bellow 96 buffer ,but give it a shot :)

Edit :
Other performance tips would be messing with multithreaded live options Reaper has  (don’t know if AD supports multiple core) . It surely gives performance boost but may have negative impact on low buffer settings.

Last not least , in Reaper arm the AD channel , it makes huge difference ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:17:23 PM by korakios »

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 12:51:54 PM »
Okay,  Thanks I will give this a shot.  It's been a long time since I've used a Windows machine to record on.  I forgot how much easier it was on an Apple computer.  Surly this windows machine has good enough specs to were it can record via vst without to much latency.  I'm running no effects while recording.  Just the Addictive drums software on one stereo audio track and the song I'm playing along with on another audio track. 
Jacob Liford
Your Average Drummer

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 11:39:35 PM »
I'm running Superior Drummer 3 on a Windows laptop. I have the Strike Pro module connected to the laptop via USB and I have a Universal Audio Arrow as an external audio interface connected to the laptop via a thunderbolt 3 connection, I connect my IEMs directly to the external audio interface. I can't detect any latency at all. I use Studio One to bring SD3 and my drumless tracks together and I feel like I'm playing in a band. Amazing. I plan to do some recording soon and I'll post. Hope that helps.

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 02:03:54 AM »
I'm running Superior Drummer 3 on a Windows laptop. I have the Strike Pro module connected to the laptop via USB and I have a Universal Audio Arrow as an external audio interface connected to the laptop via a thunderbolt 3 connection, I connect my IEMs directly to the external audio interface. I can't detect any latency at all. I use Studio One to bring SD3 and my drumless tracks together and I feel like I'm playing in a band. Amazing. I plan to do some recording soon and I'll post. Hope that helps.

This does help.  It gives me hope.  I have ordered a usb 3.0 external audio interface.  I'm hoping it takes care of the issue. 
Jacob Liford
Your Average Drummer

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 09:57:58 AM »
The key here is the audio interface connection type. For your sake I hope I'm wrong but I don't think your usb 3.0 device is going to do the trick. Again, I could be wrong. If the usb device works more power to you and congratulations. If not, don't lose hope just get that Universal Audio Arrow thunderbolt 3 device. I guarantee your latency issue will disappear.   

Offline korakios

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 10:29:11 AM »
Any cheap usb audio card with proper ASIO drivers works with 64 buffer .

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 01:45:21 PM »
I would have got a firewire or thunderbolt interface but unfortunately  my pc does not have those types of connections on it.  If this doesn't work I may have to rethink my purchase and look into sending it back and picking up a MacBook. 
Jacob Liford
Your Average Drummer

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:53 PM »
Or just get a Thunderbolt 3 capable Windows laptop.

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 06:30:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the help.  I’m happy to say that the usb audio interface did the trick. Buffer setting of 64 and good to go.
Jacob Liford
Your Average Drummer

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »
Like korakios said: "Any cheap usb audio card with proper ASIO drivers works with 64 buffer" and it's so true. If You need better interface in future than this tascam, look for Steinberg interfaces. These are great
https://musicsquare.co.uk/166336_Steinberg-UR-22-Mk2-Recording-Pack-USB-20-audio-interface.html
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UR44--steinberg-ur44