Author Topic: Custom trigger plate for alesis strike snare.  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Purpledc

Custom trigger plate for alesis strike snare.
« on: June 04, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
So thought this might interest the DIY crowd.  Through some testing I feel I have narrowed down exactly what it causing the trigger plates in strike snares to fail.  Many previously felt the plates were spontaneously snapping.  What I have found is that they actually are tearing over long periods of time.   

In early units the piezo wires would be cut by repeatedly being hit by the trigger plate.  So their solution was to use foam tape to prevent it.  But that now is putting localized pressure on the edge of the plate.    The plate themselves have a rough edge likely from using a band saw to cut the plates.  These micro serrations are that is needed to start the tearing effect which usually starts right where the piezo wired is .

So on my replacement I cut the foam below the wire and inset it so that wont happen.  But this I made with my first failed unit.  Aside from reduction in sensitivity it works great.   Im currently working on a 2.0 version in all black carbon fiber that will be  1/3 as thick.