Author Topic: Dm10 power adapter problems?  (Read 2867 times)

Dm10 power adapter problems?
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:28:55 AM »
Hello,

I am brand new to the forums.  I have been doing research on this issue and I am finding a lot of conflicting info, many of it 3-4 years old so I would love a 2018 response on this!

I apologize if there is an easy answer I missed somewhere. 

Bought a dm10 studio from a friend from back in high school recently, slightly used.  Power supply the was in the box was generic (it actually has a slider on the front for you to selt the voltage,, which scared me lol).  DM10 module powers on but puts out no sound.  no metronome, playback track or drum sound.  Module also has ome "lag" to the buttons, for instance if i spin the wheel to select kits, the module pauses for a second as if it's "thinking", then slowly scrolls through the kits.  Also, I'm not sure if i am reading the screen right, but whatever triggers i plug in are shown as black circles, which i believe means they are firing constantly by themselves. 

I have seen people have this problem and they say when they change the power supply all the problems are solved.  However, some people say "just use any 9v AC 1.3 amp with the right plug size and it will work.  Others say same volts with 1.5a.  I believe i even saw an ALesis employee respond on their official support forum that its 9vAC 1.5A, but the plug on the back of my module clearly says 9v1.3.  Is it possible that depending on exactly when the unit was made, it would have a different requirement?

I have a buddy at a drumshop near my home in baltimore looking in to acquiring an Alesis brand power adaptor for the unit, but in the event that doesnt work out, can anyone recommend another route?  Should i avoid any generic PSU? 

I am hesitant to guess and check adaptors for fear of damaging the unit!   Please advise, thank you in advance and again i apolgize if this is well solved by now.   Everywhere i look i see something else!!

I am a restaurant manager and desperately want to be able to practice/play when i get home from work at 1:30 AM!  :P please help me solve this! thanks again!

Offline Dobly

Re: Dm10 power adapter problems?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 04:21:50 PM »
From memory the DM10 power supply is a DC type.   A regular AC type wall wart will not work in it. I am not that electrically savvy so wait a bit and I'm sure someone will add their 2c here.

Like I said, i'm not that electrically savvy..  :o
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:00:08 PM by Dobly »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:11:38 PM »
 The power supply for the DM10 module is a 9V AC 1.5A........ 5.5mm outer....... 2.5mm inner.
http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/dm10-replacment-power-supply-any-recomendations

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 01:04:05 PM »
The power supply for the DM10 module is a 9V AC 1.5A........ 5.5mm outer....... 2.5mm inner.
http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/dm10-replacment-power-supply-any-recomendations
thank you for the reply.

Yes, I had seen that thread, thank you for the link.  As i said in the original post, i am confused as to whether i NEED an ALESIS brand of those specs, or if any brand will work. 

I see some people, like the above post, claiming nothing but Alesis brand willl work.....That's where my confusion is.  Thank you for any additional input!

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 01:10:17 PM »
From memory the DM10 power supply is a DC type.   A regular AC type wall wart will not work in it. I am not that electrically savvy so wait a bit and I'm sure someone will add their 2c here.

Like I said, i'm not that electrically savvy..  :o
thank you for the reply!  Do you mind telling me where you got that info?  I see so many people say only alesis brand, others saying any brand.  do i need to just get a voltage reader and test whatever generic adaptor i get to make sure its sufficient?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 03:42:20 PM »
any 9v AC 1.3 amp with the right plug size and it will work.  Others say same volts with 1.5a.  I believe i even saw an ALesis employee respond on their official support forum that its 9vAC 1.5A, but the plug on the back of my module clearly says 9v1.3.  Is it possible that depending on exactly when the unit was made, it would have a different requirement?

I don't know which module you have or when/where purchased...may be a printing error..
All the modules I have seen..and images on the web all show .....the early/ 1st module Charcoal some show 9V AC.(no amp rating)..the rest show AC 9.V 1.5A
the Silver module AC 9.V  1.5A.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:44:31 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
any 9v AC 1.3 amp with the right plug size and it will work.  Others say same volts with 1.5a.  I believe i even saw an ALesis employee respond on their official support forum that its 9vAC 1.5A, but the plug on the back of my module clearly says 9v1.3.  Is it possible that depending on exactly when the unit was made, it would have a different requirement?

I don't know which module you have or when/where purchased...may be a printing error..
All the modules I have seen..and images on the web all show .....the early/ 1st module Charcoal some show 9V AC.(no amp rating)..the rest show AC 9.V 1.5A
thanks for your input!  hugely appreciate all the support so far. 
yikes....this is gettin tricky! haha.  I just got off the phone with a local guitar center (bleh) and they said the Alesis brand model power adaptor that i want for the DM10 is the Alesis p3, which seems to be 9v 830 mA AC......   

just went and double checked... it definitely says 9v 1.3, and its a dm10 for sure!   I'd be happy to take a photo and link to imgur or something . 

It is a silver model by the way.  I have a 9v 1.5 adaptor in the house that fits the plug....should i give it a try?  As i mentioned above im a little hesitant to just try something, many people say ONLY ALESIS OR YOU WILL FRY YOUR MODULE!! others say its perfectly fine, they've used an off brand for x years etx....thank you again!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:19:10 PM by Sammyt555 »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 06:17:35 PM »

thanks for your input!  hugely appreciate all the support so far. 
yikes....this is gettin tricky! haha.  I just got off the phone with a local guitar center (bleh) and they said the Alesis brand model power adaptor that i want for the DM10 is the Alesis p3, which seems to be 9v 830 mA AC......   

just went and double checked... it definitely says 9v 1.3, and its a dm10 for sure!   I'd be happy to take a photo and link to imgur or something . 

It is a silver model by the way.  I have a 9v 1.5 adaptor in the house that fits the plug....should i give it a try?  As i mentioned above im a little hesitant to just try something, many people say ONLY ALESIS OR YOU WILL FRY YOUR MODULE!! others say its perfectly fine, they've used an off brand for x years etx....thank you again!!
Whoever at GC told you the P3 is an idiot..the P3 is for Keyboards..and it's only 830 about 1/2 the required amp rating..
It even states it's a keyboard power supply on the GC site....it's also the only Alesis power supply they sell so whoever was just trying to make a sale..
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis/P3-Power-Supply-Barrel.gc

If the adapter you have is 9V AC 1.5A...and the center is correct for the module (size..+or -..usually AC doesn't matter..DC does) you shouldn't have a problem.
Having a higher amp rating on the power supply than whats stated on electronics doesn't hurt as amps are drawn...if the power supply is under amperage,whatever you have it plugged into to will try to draw more than it's capable and that's when you start having issues like in your original post and heating things up.

btw..there are many threads in regards to the DM10 psu and problems associated with using the wrong one.
here are just a few
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4390.msg31500#msg31500
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=5781.0
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=7023.msg47932#msg47932
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6461.msg44636#msg44636
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2972.msg22124#msg22124

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:42:26 PM by Chaser »