Author Topic: Interface for Macbook Air  (Read 1110 times)

Offline VandalX

Interface for Macbook Air
« on: March 08, 2018, 12:30:10 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm looking to expand my sounds via a VST (AD, EZ or SSD), and I tried a few demos with a direct connection to my laptop. Despite adjusting my sample parameters, I still have some uncomfortable latency. I expected this due to my Macbook's lightweight built-in soundcard. So I decided to look into external USB interfaces. So far the most popular appears to be Focusrite Scarlett and Presonus, and hover around $100 for two inputs. Then I saw the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB, and I wondered if that provides the same level of functionality as a non-mixer USB audio interface. As with so much of Alesis' offerings, I can't tell if this solution is a good idea or if I'm diluting the quality of a (hopefully) low-latency device with mixer functions.

Also, has anyone used the Samplerack to control a laptop-based VST?

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips, and KEEP DRUMMING!
Kelly
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline Chaser

Re: Interface for Macbook Air
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm looking to expand my sounds via a VST (AD, EZ or SSD), and I tried a few demos with a direct connection to my laptop. Despite adjusting my sample parameters, I still have some uncomfortable latency. I expected this due to my Macbook's lightweight built-in soundcard. So I decided to look into external USB interfaces. So far the most popular appears to be Focusrite Scarlett and Presonus, and hover around $100 for two inputs. Then I saw the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB, and I wondered if that provides the same level of functionality as a non-mixer USB audio interface. As with so much of Alesis' offerings, I can't tell if this solution is a good idea or if I'm diluting the quality of a (hopefully) low-latency device with mixer functions.

Also, has anyone used the Samplerack to control a laptop-based VST?

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips, and KEEP DRUMMING!
Kelly

One of the best interfaces I have found/recommend for mobile without breaking the bank is the under rated ..Behringer U-Phoria UMC series, the HD version..they are 24bit/192 kHz with Midas preamps and also have the option of usb bus power..

I am not much of a Behringer fan but this is one of their best products I have purchased,comes in handy when I can't/don't want to drag the rack around.

The 2x2(202) version is $50-60.00 and the 4x4(404) is less than $100.00...most get the 4x4 (404) as a drum module takes up 2 inputs,unless you're just using it for a TMI.
check Amazon/reviews.. a lot of MacBook users and comparisons to the interfaces you are considering.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Behringer+U-PHORIA+umc+hd&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ABehringer+U-PHORIA+umc+hd

The Alesis Multimix 8 usb was discontinued..there is an "FX" model now but keep in mind all I could find was "16-bit, 44.1/48 kHz stereo"
and there is no user guide under the downloads.
http://www.alesis.com/products/view/multimix-8-usb-fx

The Samplerack should work fine as a TMI(Trigger Midi Interface)

Offline VandalX

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 07:48:02 PM »
Thanks, Chaser! I looked at the Behringer as well. My only hesitation is the build quality. In my capacity as a sound tech at a theatre, I come across a variety of Behringer equipment that either doesn't work, or isn't sufficient for the job. Sounds like this one is pretty straightforward and I'm not on any extended tours (yet- I'm big in Belgium).

I'll check it out.
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 10:14:43 PM »
Thanks, Chaser! I looked at the Behringer as well. My only hesitation is the build quality. In my capacity as a sound tech at a theatre, I come across a variety of Behringer equipment that either doesn't work, or isn't sufficient for the job. Sounds like this one is pretty straightforward and I'm not on any extended tours (yet- I'm big in Belgium).

I'll check it out.
It's hit or miss with Behringer (MusicTribe?). Usually I run away from Behringer products , I picked up a few pf the 404HD wholesale for the price of the 202 and so far haven't had any trouble when I do use them.They are in a steel chassis not plastic etc .
I have had a couple of friends on local  tours that purchased the X32 and M32 systems.One band went the whole tour with the X32 without a problem , one band had 2 channels go out the first night on the M32..which is supposed to be higher quality.
It's hard to tell anymore with a lot or most products coming out of China.