Author Topic: Hello from Pony Pasture on the James River  (Read 1372 times)

Hello from Pony Pasture on the James River
« on: December 11, 2017, 09:18:47 PM »
Hi, new member from the edge of Richmond, Virginia, USA. I'm planning to buy a Strike Pro kit, and figured asking a few questions before taking the plunge would be a good idea. I'll make a thread for them once my ideas are properly composed.

My previous electronic drum setup is genuine Roland, ooOOoo! Um… a Roland Pad-5 from the late 1980s, that is. Hey, it was what I could afford back in the mid-1990s when I bought it. Once I fix pad #1 and add an AC adapter jack it should make a dandy traps accessory.

Other than guitars (1990s MiM Telecaster, Yamaha folk acoustic) I do just about everything "in the box". I'm one of those in mourning for Cakewalk, having been a Sonar user since it was called Pro Audio. Since Cakewalk's demise I've taken advantage of crossgrades and upgrades to get up-to-date on Reason, Ableton Live, Studio One, and Cubase, and am mightily tempted by the Samplitude deal. Over the years heaps of plug-ins, samples, and half-finished projects have accumulated and been shunted from one computer to another, like some ever-growing digital snowball.

So there's the context in which I'm preparing for the biggest instrument purchase of my life — both in dollars and in square feet of floor space. Tons of software, good computer, decent audio interface, very little in the way of non-computer instruments.

Oh, yes: I learned electronic music in the early 1970s on a BIG Moog Modular, a minimoog, an ARP 2600, and a Putney. So you can tell I'm slightly past adolescence.

That's about it. Howdy.