Author Topic: TUNE UP the pads?  (Read 1734 times)

Offline Th3R00st3r

TUNE UP the pads?
« on: June 07, 2017, 12:22:37 PM »
Hey guys, it's been a while. I have a gig coming up in a couple months and after that gig, I want to tune up the drum pads. I noticed on the kick that the foam is disintegrating and would like to replace it. I searched for Drum Pad Tune Up on the site and didn't find anything on replacing the foam.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else replaced the foam in their pads after they have worn down?

Thanks!
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline Th3R00st3r

Re: TUNE UP the pads?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »
Noone has replaced the foam in their kits before? I find that hard to believe. As I said, I did the search, but didn't find anything unless I didn't search for the right thing.  :o

th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 06:49:10 PM »
Noone has replaced the foam in their kits before? I find that hard to believe. As I said, I did the search, but didn't find anything unless I didn't search for the right thing.  :o

Do you have the real head pads with the 1/8" thick EVA foam pad or do you have the mesh head type pads?

The reason you didn't find anything in a search is because (if you have the older style real head pads) most changed them over to mesh and didn't have to deal with the EVA foam wearing out.

If you have the real head pad type you need to find some 3/16" thick neoprene foam rubber. If you can find them, mouse tend to be a good source for that kind of foam rubber. Neoprene shouldn't need to be changed out for several years.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 12:54:19 PM »

Thanks, I have the mesh heads (solderless version) and rearranged the pad order and it's been holding out for a couple years. I am looking for the replacement foam as the foam on my kick is wearing away from all the hits. Are you saying I don't even need the foam with the mesh?