Author Topic: DM10: Problems with hi-hat calibrate  (Read 10509 times)

DM10: Problems with hi-hat calibrate
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:59:56 PM »
Hello from Finland!

I'm tried many times calibrate hi-hat controller in my kit but everytime just came text "Open ... failed" and "Closed ... failed" and nothing happened. Factory settings is returned but not helped anything. I buyed DM10 studio kit over week ago and i really dont know what is wrong. Can someone tell if know what is wrong?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:38:20 AM by infegroth »

Offline Jermdog

Re: DM10: Problems with hi-hat calibrate
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »
First, make sure you do not touch any pads or cymbals when turning on your module. 

Second, make sure ALL of your cables are plugged in securely to both the module and each drum/cymbal/hh pedal.  The module is very sensitive to this.

Third, make sure you are using a TS cable for the hihat - this should have one ring around the plug (a mono cable).

Once you make sure of all of these, retry your calibration.  You can also look at your manual (it's also online at Alesis.com) about the calibration function - here are the instructions from the manual:

To calibrate the hi-hat pedal:
1. Connect the hi-hat pedal to the module but do not press it down.

2. On the module, press EXT TRIG.

3. You will see a page with items including "Sensitvty" and "Function."
Use the CURSOR UP / DOWN buttons to highlight the "Input" field at
the top of the screen then use the VALUE UP / DOWN buttons to
select "HiHat."

4. Press CAL (F4).

5. With the hi-hat pedal completely raised ("open"), press CAL OPEN
(F1 or F2) and wait for a message saying the process is complete.

6. With the hi-hat pedal completely pressed ("closed"), press CAL
CLSED (F3 or F4) and wait for a message saying the process is complete.

7. Press EXIT to exit the calibration page (or press DRUM KIT to return to the main screen).

I'm not saying you didn't follow instructions or don't know what you're doing... but we all occasionally make an error here or there.  I have made several bad connections in the past!

Good luck!
Strike Pro, Dm10, Zildjian Gen 16 hats, xhats and garbage cymbals, Kit Toys chinas, crash and splashes, jam dock, mixer, custom 13" tom, alesis, drum workshop and various hardware.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 09:06:05 AM »
First, make sure you do not touch any pads or cymbals when turning on your module. 

Second, make sure ALL of your cables are plugged in securely to both the module and each drum/cymbal/hh pedal.  The module is very sensitive to this.

Third, make sure you are using a TS cable for the hihat - this should have one ring around the plug (a mono cable).

Once you make sure of all of these, retry your calibration.  You can also look at your manual (it's also online at Alesis.com) about the calibration function - here are the instructions from the manual:

To calibrate the hi-hat pedal:
1. Connect the hi-hat pedal to the module but do not press it down.

2. On the module, press EXT TRIG.

3. You will see a page with items including "Sensitvty" and "Function."
Use the CURSOR UP / DOWN buttons to highlight the "Input" field at
the top of the screen then use the VALUE UP / DOWN buttons to
select "HiHat."

4. Press CAL (F4).

5. With the hi-hat pedal completely raised ("open"), press CAL OPEN
(F1 or F2) and wait for a message saying the process is complete.

6. With the hi-hat pedal completely pressed ("closed"), press CAL
CLSED (F3 or F4) and wait for a message saying the process is complete.

7. Press EXIT to exit the calibration page (or press DRUM KIT to return to the main screen).

I'm not saying you didn't follow instructions or don't know what you're doing... but we all occasionally make an error here or there.  I have made several bad connections in the past!

Good luck!

I checked all of that but not helped, same texts came again. I have manual but there is not any information to calibrate if it not works...

Ps. Sorry my possible bad english.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 11:56:12 AM »
Nobody know anything other things what can be wrong?

Offline vaikl

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »

Even if you bought your set some weeks ago, you could check if you have the latest software versions onboard. The latest OS, available from Alesis online, had a bug fix/improvement for hihat calibration.

Offline Sichris29

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 04:27:58 PM »

Even if you bought your set some weeks ago, you could check if you have the latest software versions onboard. The latest OS, available from Alesis online, had a bug fix/improvement for hihat calibration.
How do you know this? if you know what that update "fixed" could you post it here for us to read? I'm curious to know to be honest.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 05:13:47 PM »
How do you know this?

I've had the same prob out of the box and it disappeared after my first update. IIRC there also are some threads here describing the problem and that it was solved after the update (not the latest one with the sound OS update). Do a forum search for hihat calibration.

Alesis

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 06:30:07 PM »
infegroth –

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your hi-hat. Please contact our Technical Support group. We'd be happy to help.

Offline Laurdess

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 02:59:17 PM »
hey quick question, I updated my Alesis DM10 studio kit last night. Now when I play it, my hihat sounds like its jacked up. Like I am not coordinating my toe and stick. Almost like its open when it should not be. Can I calibrate it after I have played it for years?
Shut up and hit it er'ready

Offline Trondster

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
Write down the values in the Trim settings and try re-calibrating. :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.