Author Topic: Hi-Hat control in SD3  (Read 3138 times)

Hi-Hat control in SD3
« on: January 16, 2018, 04:01:14 AM »
Hey everyone.

I've just recently started trying to use Superior Drummer 3. I'm excited for all the upgrades and changes from 2.

However, I'm finding the learning curve to be a little too great for me when it comes to getting my DM10 Studio Kit to function exactly as it did in SD2.

For reference I'm using FL Studio 12 to run SD3.

My main problem at the moment is trying to get the hi-hats to function properly with the pedal. I've had no issues in the past for getting SD2 to work properly with the hi-hat pedal with open vs closed and everything in between. But this time around, I can't figure out how the heck to get SD3 to play a closed hat with my foot on the pedal at any velocity. Its been driving me nuts and this is why I'm asking for help here.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: Hi-Hat control in SD3
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 02:27:45 PM »
I just watched this video from another post.

It goes by pretty quick during the whole thing, so be prepared to pause and go back to get the gist, but I think this might have the answer for you:

https://youtu.be/SJ7U-8wt0TM
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline korakios

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 03:56:59 AM »
Hi,
First calibrate the pedal in DM10 and set the pedal curve to linear ,
Then in SD3 configure the hihat pedal zones like in this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RN0qsbVgUyw

Maybe SD3 is listening to midi notes instead of the pedal CC which limits you to 3 articulation only (closed , half , full )
Will check this in few days .

Offline korakios

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 06:36:07 PM »
Easy fix,
Go to SD3 settings ,for "MidiIn/E-Drums" and choose DM10 as preset  :)
It worths spending some time configuring the Split points for the hihat pedal articulations

PS. Tips:
- You can disable in DM10 the splash if it's triggered too easily .
- You can disable NoteOff Messages for each sound inside DM10 ,reducing Midi Data flow to half  ;)

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 12:28:20 AM »
So after playing with things for what felt like an eternity, I saw one of the comments in the video that korakios linked to. It said something about the host program (Reason, in this person's case) not sending, receiving or translating the CC notes properly.

I've been using SD3 in FL Studio 12 and was having no luck at all. Trying out every option and settings that was hinted at through this post, among others.

I opened up the SD3 Standalone and the @%!^# thing works without a hitch with default or 'DM-10' settings.

So, obviously, there's something I need to figure out in how FL Studio is handling this. I just don't know where to begin.

I suppose I'll use the standalone and have to work back and forth with DAWs because I use an older version of Cubase which doesn't support 64bit VSTs, I can't get SD3 to work in Adobe Audition, and I've been enjoying the ease and workflow of FL Studio lately and want to concentrate on that more than anything.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

In closing, anyone have any hints as to why and how to remedy the problem within FL Studio 12?  :)

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 01:45:04 AM »
So after playing with things for what felt like an eternity, I saw one of the comments in the video that korakios linked to. It said something about the host program (Reason, in this person's case) not sending, receiving or translating the CC notes properly.

I've been using SD3 in FL Studio 12 and was having no luck at all. Trying out every option and settings that was hinted at through this post, among others.

I opened up the SD3 Standalone and the @%!^# thing works without a hitch with default or 'DM-10' settings.

So, obviously, there's something I need to figure out in how FL Studio is handling this. I just don't know where to begin.

I suppose I'll use the standalone and have to work back and forth with DAWs because I use an older version of Cubase which doesn't support 64bit VSTs, I can't get SD3 to work in Adobe Audition, and I've been enjoying the ease and workflow of FL Studio lately and want to concentrate on that more than anything.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

In closing, anyone have any hints as to why and how to remedy the problem within FL Studio 12?  :)

I don't use FL studio but this may be of some help

MIDI CC routing in FL Studio 12.4.1 / Patcher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdp5a1uCqKQ