Author Topic: Roland TD-8, Td-10 or Megadrum  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Khes74

Roland TD-8, Td-10 or Megadrum
« on: January 31, 2015, 05:57:41 PM »
So I am selling my Dm10 module soon and I'm not sure what module to get. I would only use it as a MIDI controller. The options seeming to be  a used Roland TD-8 or TD10 or Megadrum. A Possible concern with the two Rolands is they won't be compatible with my Pintech 18" Ride. As in they won't function properly. My ride doesn't work well with the Dm10 now. With the megadrum that surely wouldn't be a problem.

I'm going to have a 6 piece drum set with 6 cymbals. 12 inputs+ HH controller.

Hi-hat, two crashes, 1 dual zone ride, 1 splash 1 china.
For the TD-8  if I split the 12 AUX input I wouldn't be able to hit both the head and the rim at the same time right? Velocity sensative switches are a must.

I do plan on getting an Audio Interface eventually.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 12:52:22 PM by Khes74 »

Online Hellfire

Re: Roland TD-8, Td-10 or Megadrum
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 06:13:39 PM »
That depends. What kind of drum (not cymbal) triggers are you using? Are they Piezo/Piezo or Piezo/Switch for your drum triggers? If you have mainly piezo/piezo you will need to go with either the TD-10 or the Megadrum.

The TD-8 only has piezo/piezo inputs on the snare and aux inputs. The tom inputs were designed for the Roland PD-8 triggers which is piezo/switch.

Also, keep in mind that splitting an input on a Roland module can be somewhat tricky. Only the aux inputs (and the kick input I believe) can be split with a normal splitter. If you try splitting any of the other inputs you will need a special splitter that only the Roland modules use. You can DIY the splitter or buy one from one of two different places.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Offline Khes74

Re: Roland TD-8, Td-10 or Megadrum
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 06:34:06 PM »
Drums would be Probably Piezo/Piezo. Granted I won't use the toms as dual zone, only would use the head zone so  that wouldn't matter. As long as the switch zones have velocity there shouldn't be a problem. The crash inputs should be both chokable hopefully. I'm going to update my requirements to help narrow it down. 

With the TD-8 I would have to split the Aux Input  12 into a splash and China cymbal. I wouldn't be able to hit both the splash and the china cymbal at the same time yes? S Same concept for the kick correct? Another factor is the availability of the TD-8/ TD-10. That's a variable unable to be fixed though.

The Roland TD-8 only has a MIDI input also instead of USB. An audio interface should fix this though yes? I was looking at the Alesis Core 1 but no reviews are less than encouraging. Probably safe to go with a Presonus.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:41:21 PM by Khes74 »