Author Topic: Calibrating DM10 Hi Hat for BFD3  (Read 3471 times)

Calibrating DM10 Hi Hat for BFD3
« on: April 08, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
I had an old post of the same topic, just BFD2. I can't find it. The guy who answered was from FXpansion. I see him occasionally in those forums, but they do not like to talk about kits with me, or much of anything else. lol  :P

There are two guys there who help me, but don't use kits...keyboards instead.

any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Re: Calibrating DM10 Hi Hat for BFD3
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 07:49:52 PM »
I really just need the steps. I looked for the old post, but found nothing. It was the best help. :'(

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 09:44:28 PM »
I had an old post of the same topic, just BFD2. I can't find it. The guy who answered was from FXpansion. I see him occasionally in those forums, but they do not like to talk about kits with me, or much of anything else. lol  :P

There are two guys there who help me, but don't use kits...keyboards instead.

any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

"The guy from Fxpansion" was John Emrich..search through his posts
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=4

Bring up the MIDI mapping page in BFD2.  Look on the left for the MIDI selector button.

1. Take foot off pedal.
2. Make sure the MIDI select button is lit up.
3. Hit the Tip area of the HH pad.  This will activate the slider section.
4. Turn off the MIDI select function.  This will freeze the sliders and keep them active for editing.
5. Put your foot back and you can now work with the slider positions.

Good luck!
John

If thats no help search through the posts..there are 44 related to DM10 BFD3..or the videos on Fxpansion or youtube for HH and midi mapping
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/results.php?cx=partner-pub-0443830234211702%3A7799811482&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=dm10+bfd3&sa=Search&siteurl=www.alesisdrummer.com%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D2712.0&ref=www.alesisdrummer.com%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D2712.msg21021&ss=5001j5719051j9

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 09:49:29 PM »
Thanks a million!!! Now maybe I'll get this kit (Battlestation) fully operational!

Much appreciation!

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 11:17:26 PM »
I spoke too soon. the info didn't help, as it was specific to BFD2. I was able to improve functionality, but the pedal just works to close the hats.

I know there is a simple way to do this. I do some midi magic, hit the HH, depress the pedal and release, and only need to twerk it. Why the hell was it made in a way that is elusive? Cracks me up. Also cracks me up that millions of users know what the hell they're doing, and I'm sitting on my thumbs. LOL I'm the idiot!

So, anyone with a DM product, even better a DM10, help me calibrate this damn HH pedal...your my only hope. :'(

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 01:10:07 AM »
I spoke too soon. the info didn't help, as it was specific to BFD2. I was able to improve functionality, but the pedal just works to close the hats.

I know there is a simple way to do this. I do some midi magic, hit the HH, depress the pedal and release, and only need to twerk it. Why the hell was it made in a way that is elusive? Cracks me up. Also cracks me up that millions of users know what the hell they're doing, and I'm sitting on my thumbs. LOL I'm the idiot!

So, anyone with a DM product, even better a DM10, help me calibrate this damn HH pedal...your my only hope. :'(

Assuming you have calibrated the pedal on the module first and it is properly working...and you selected the proper key map in BFD3

for the midi magic...

did you map the the midi notes to the variable articulations?
Open Bow A#1(46)  to "variable tip"
Closed Bow  F#1 (42) to "variable tip"
Pedal G#1(44) to "pedal"

Here are the midi notes assigned in the DM10 module.
46 Hi-Hat Open/Variable   
44 Hi-Hat Pedal Chic
42 Hi-Hat Bow Closed 

32 Hi Hat Shank Open/Variable
31 Hi Hat Shank Closed
30 Hi Hat Heel Splash
21 Hi-Hat Splash

(variable shank is for the edge..which there are midi notes in the module..but only work with a dual zone Hi Hat or some involved trickery  )

Simple Hi hat and variable Hi Hat control..about 1/2 way down the page..
https://www.fxpansion.com/webmanuals/bfd3/operationmanual/using_electronic_drumkits.htm

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 05:05:08 AM »

Assuming you have calibrated the pedal on the module first and it is properly working...and you selected the proper key map in BFD3

for the midi magic...

Pedal G#1(44) to "pedal"

46 Hi-Hat Open/Variable   
44 Hi-Hat Pedal Chic
42 Hi-Hat Bow Closed 

31 Hi Hat Shank Closed
30 Hi Hat Heel Splash
21 Hi-Hat Splash

(variable shank is for the edge..which there are midi notes in the module..but only work with a dual zone Hi Hat or some involved trickery  )

https://www.fxpansion.com/webmanuals/bfd3/operationmanual/using_electronic_drumkits.htm

thanks for the info. I re-calibrated my pedal this evening, and nothing unusual. When I tried in BFD3, I was only getting hi hat tip or closed.

I didn't try to program anything because I've never done it. I need MIDI magic because I'm MIDI ignorant. I've list the may, though. I'll figure out how to use the key map. I appreciate the time you spent imparting such - what for everyone else is - basic information. 8)

Offline korakios

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 07:57:56 AM »
Maybe you forgot setting DM10 to send CC#4

Utility ->trigger :

"HiHat * : Select "NOTE+CC#4" or "NOTE ONLY." This determines whether the hi-hat MIDI note will be sent with or without CC information (CC#4)."

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 01:13:16 PM »
I dug out a RealHat pedal and  a single zone hi hat..and used a DMdock..without any software loaded..just as a TMI
connected everything..loaded BFD3 Heavymetal..midi log shows A#3..note 046...G#3  note 044... CC004 values for the pedal.. velocity and midi channel
B7 is the Paiste variable hi hat..assigned A#3..everything worked fine..took all of 5-10 mins

click on the image..it'll blow up and you can move around and see settings

https://postimg.cc/image/81g88ms23/

Gustav..check the midi log and see what it shows as you use the hi-hat and the pedal..

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 10:07:36 AM »
Maybe you forgot setting DM10 to send CC#4

Utility ->trigger :

"HiHat * : Select "NOTE+CC#4" or "NOTE ONLY." This determines whether the hi-hat MIDI note will be sent with or without CC information (CC#4)."

It should be set to that, but I tried to take a look. I haven't configured the module in ages, so I'm still trying to find the settings.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 10:13:58 AM »

for the midi magic...

Pedal G#1(44) to "pedal"

46 Hi-Hat Open/Variable   
44 Hi-Hat Pedal Chic
42 Hi-Hat Bow Closed 

31 Hi Hat Shank Closed
30 Hi Hat Heel Splash
21 Hi-Hat Splash

I'm having trouble getting these commands loaded to the key map. I checked the log, and the pedal seems to show up, but I'm not adept enough with MIDI to turn that info into a result.

I'm not getting something about the process. I guess I'm like a 2-yr-ol playing with some expensive toys. I'm not sure how to move forward, but will keep trying. Any isight you have would be welcomed. thanks!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 12:30:19 PM »

I'm having trouble getting these commands loaded to the key map. I checked the log, and the pedal seems to show up, but I'm not adept enough with MIDI to turn that info into a result.

I'm not getting something about the process. I guess I'm like a 2-yr-ol playing with some expensive toys. I'm not sure how to move forward, but will keep trying. Any isight you have would be welcomed. thanks!

First things first...you must get the hi-hat and the pedal communicating to BFD3 before you get into assigning anything.

The midi log must show the hi hat strikes (midi note 46) and pedal movement( CC004 and midi note 44) 

Make sure the DM10 module is setup for sending midi..page 30,31 manual..

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »

for the midi magic...

Pedal G#1(44) to "pedal"

46 Hi-Hat Open/Variable   
44 Hi-Hat Pedal Chic
42 Hi-Hat Bow Closed 

31 Hi Hat Shank Closed
30 Hi Hat Heel Splash
21 Hi-Hat Splash

thanks for the info. I re-calibrated my pedal this evening, and nothing unusual. When I tried in BFD3, I was only getting hi hat tip or closed.

I didn't try to program anything because I've never done it. I need MIDI magic because I'm MIDI ignorant. I've list the may, though. I'll figure out how to use the key map. I appreciate the time you spent imparting such - what for everyone else is - basic information. 8)

I'm ready for MIDI. I checked the settings. I'll run another log in a bit. It'd odd that it reads the down position and not the up. :/

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 05:09:39 PM »
Still having the same issue where there's no expression with the pedal. I'm seeing all of the positives in my log, but not knowledgeable enough to know where the problem is. I'm attaching two screenshots.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 08:01:03 PM »
I can't see the rest of the pedal signal..just the start of CC004 and Vel going back up..is there a midi note there also 044(on/off)?

Your hi-hat pedal should be sending two signals: the basic open/closed signal (note 44) and the position "how open/closed are you?" signal (note CC#4..CC04 in BFD3).

Clear the midi log window (click on the trash can) then press down on the pedal and hold it.you should see Midi CC004 info and midi notes 044 (on/off)
as you slowly let off pressure on the pedal you should see a lot of CC004 info (Vel) as the pedal goes back up ending with midi note 44 on/off.

One of the biggest complaints is the pedal doesn't use full travel..it's pressure switch , read this post..do the adjustments/mod's about 1/2 way down the page
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2685.0;nowap

What kit are you loading?..I'll see if I have it..and see what it has as far as samples etc...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 08:21:29 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2017, 08:57:30 PM »
I can't see the rest of the pedal signal..just the start of CC004 and Vel going back up..is there a midi note there also 044(on/off)?

Your hi-hat pedal should be sending two signals: the basic open/closed signal (note 44) and the position "how open/closed are you?" signal (note CC#4..CC04 in BFD3).

Clear the midi log window (click on the trash can) then press down on the pedal and hold it.you should see Midi CC004 info and midi notes 044 (on/off)
as you slowly let off pressure on the pedal you should see a lot of CC004 info (Vel) as the pedal goes back up ending with midi note 44 on/off.

One of the biggest complaints is the pedal doesn't use full travel..it's pressure switch , read this post..do the adjustments/mod's about 1/2 way down the page
http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2685.0;nowap

What kit are you loading?..I'll see if I have it..and see what it has as far as samples etc...

I did the pedal mod back in late 2012 or early 2013. also did Hellfire's mesh head conversion...for what it's worth.

I do think I'll break down the pedal, though, since it's only reading closed and a little less closed. only works as I lift off the pedal. My big problem in all this is that I haven't messed with any of it in over 3 years. I'm no drummer and don't really understand MIDI (I do understand your explanations and am very happy to learn a bit). I've got a custom kit loaded that has very few pieces. I'll load the first stock kit next time. The hats I was using at the time were from the Bosphorus Cymbals (or similarly named) expansion.

Oddly, the rest of my kit works great. lol

Offline Chaser

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2017, 09:16:47 PM »
Then all you have to do to assign/select is..
in Keymap mode...on the left ..click on (highlight) the sound..(for example you had G1 Bosphorus)..
then go the the right side where the slot:hi Hat is...click on (highlight) variable tip..then below that click on "assign to selected" it will appear next to variable tip ,BFD3 automatically converts to variable.(same procedure for any other kit piece you have selected in the "slot"..you can also add multiple samples..)

If you make a mistake or don't like something you can select and delete..but be careful as it also deletes from the keymap , then you'll have to go back to kit's and reload the sample in the slot.

then go to the bottom.. click on "Response" click on "Learn Velocity" hit the hi hat (also use when other kit pieces are selected in the "slot" ..it's automated and will listen/ask for more variation..hit harder/softer etc)

Then click on "Hi Hat"..check "all variable hi hats" box..(play around with the auto stuff,works best after you get the pedal dialed in)..
step on the pedal and see the ranges for open closed (lights up in red)..click on the sliders with the numbers and adjust..closed..1/4..1/2..open
Don't forget that when you are in "Keymap" mode..you can monitor the CC's in the midi log while setting up pedal transition.

for help with pedal transitions...1/2 way down the page

The rest is time spent learning/ tweaking...don't forget to save if your happy with the settings..if not..you can clear and start over . .or close and don't save, it will remember the last saved point..reload and start from there

and don't forget the manual

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:54:20 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2017, 09:55:41 PM »
Well, thank you very much for those steps! That just about solved the matter. Everything works great except the pedal sound when it's closing, but works when closed. do I need to program a sound for that, too?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2017, 10:23:25 PM »
according to your screen shot you already have a couple things.assigned to the pedal ..  G#1 Bosphorous Hi hat Stick:pedal..and whatever A#3 is in your keymap

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2017, 10:44:05 PM »
yeah, but it doesn't make s closing sound. Two things that are missing after comparing to the module:

1. Hi hat shutting sound
2. splash (just by quickly closing and releasing the HH pedal)

everything els seems like I need to re-tweek my module and learn BFD3.

could it be that all the sounds are there and I just need to assign them?

Thanks a million for your help. I know this is really basic stuff for you.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 10:58:28 PM »
yeah, but it doesn't make s closing sound. Two things that are missing after comparing to the module:

1. Hi hat shutting sound
2. splash (just by quickly closing and releasing the HH pedal)

everything els seems like I need to re-tweek my module and learn BFD3.

could it be that all the sounds are there and I just need to assign them?

Thanks a million for your help. I know this is really basic stuff for you.

It doesn't make a closed sound because you haven't assigned one...as I pointed out..you have a stick and whatever A#3 is..assigned to the pedal
look at the window where you assigned the variable tip..I bet the splash is empty also..

you'll have to assign the sounds..

Here's where monitoring the midi log comes into play...I see A#1 = note 0046..so I am betting G#1 = note 044..pedal

go to the key map scroll to C1 section..(all the "C" sections are numbered..the notes inside will reflect that (C1)= A1,A#1.. ,(C6)=A6,A#6)etc..

For example:you would go to (C1)..G#1..right click "clear".no sample..no sound..then go to any other articulation in the keymap you want...

For example if  (C7)..D7 was a closed hi hat..right click.. cut..go back to (C1) G#1 and right click "paste"..now that  will be loaded/show in the slot and  assigned to G#1 and the pedal.

Also when setting the pedal transition..open is the lowest number and graduates to the close...
watch the midi monitor as you use the pedal..watch how the CC's move as you lift your foot and press down..the CC's may go 23...49..62.. 127..on the way down..and 120..79..42..0 on the way back up..,(or a lot more numbers if you go really slow) try to match the sliders to the most consistent CC's.. you'll start to see the "red" lighting up more fluidly throughout the pedals travel the closer you get...
just keep clearing the midi log each time after you go down..and each time after you go up taking note of the CC's that consistently show.

Make sure the "auto" boxes aren't checked..after you feel you like the pedal , then turn them on..they work the best the closer you get.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:00:38 AM by Chaser »