Author Topic: Reworking Surge Cymbal?  (Read 2295 times)

Reworking Surge Cymbal?
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:22:24 AM »
Hey Everyone!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Before I ask my question let take this opportunity to thank everyone on the forum for sharing their wealth of knowledge. I have learned an amazing amount about e-drumming, especially in the DIY section, it’s great to have a resource like this available. My question about Surge cymbals. I recently acquired a 16”
Ride and am very happy with it for the most part, the one thing I’d like to try and improve is the size of bell sound area. Perhaps it is this way on all the Surge rides but on mine the size of the area that will produce the bell sound is about the size of a silver dollar right in the middle of the cymbal at the bell. After you subtract the area lost to the hole and wing nut that holds the cymbal on the stand there is almost no area left to trigger the bell. I’m wondering if an extra piezo could be added near the bell area and wired in? I’ve not had the occasion to tear into a Surge cymbal but I can't imagine it’d be difficult to make this change. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Scott

Offline Trondster

Re: Reworking Surge Cymbal?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:23:51 PM »
Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity, threshold and xtalk-settings? It could very well be that you can adjust the size of the sweet spot by adjusting the parameters. :)
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »
@scottybk:  Try changing the CURVE setting on the Ride bell.  That usually works well.

Also, try a different Ride sound?
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
I originally bought the DM10 studio. That ride was all bow and no bell. When I upgraded to a Surge I found the opposite to be true: my entire surface is bell (which I love btw). If I want the ride sound I have to hit right on top of the logo where the switch is.

So I am confused with my results compared the OP. Are your cables in the right jacks, have you tried switching them? Also do you have the trigger set to Piezo and not switch? I am not saying mine is set up right, but I get plenty of bell.