Author Topic: DM10 Studio or DM10 X!?  (Read 21916 times)

DM10 Studio or DM10 X!?
« on: December 28, 2011, 07:52:11 PM »
I'm soon going to get a DM10, but I'm poundering on whether to get the DM10 Studio and replace the toms and snare with new mesh head triggerpads (which will end up on a lil over the DM10X in price) or the DM10 X alone...

Here's the triggers I'm planning on replacing with:  http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_pd1010_10_mesh_head_pad.htm
Will be getting two 10" and three 12" ones.
The unused alesis pads I'm thinking can be used as auxillary pads like side snare and extra toms, since I'll also be getting the Trigger I/O to expand the kit. I intend to use it with the Superior Drummer Metal Foundry plugin for recording (as I've grown tired of playing drums on the keyboard!)

The two kits I see has a different type of rack, the X kit sure looks more robust and maybe bigger?? I've heard the mylar head pads are pretty loud but that isn't a big problem for me. Also are there any other differences between the kits aside from a different rack and bigger toms/snare with stand?
What do you guys think??

Offline drumday

Re: DM10 Studio or DM10 X!?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 10:20:04 PM »
I have the Studio.  Rack is fine, lightweight, and if you're gigging with set ups/take downs, I'd recommend the X.  I already had a Gibraltar rack and heavier clamps, so I've configured my Studio into a mini-X.

I too intend to get a 10 & a couple 12s and use the spare 8s (3) for assigned perc sounds I have on the rims, as I'm not fond of triggering off rims.  Will use splitters to do this vs. your appraoch with the Trigger I/O.

The footprint of the racks is pretty close to identical, if not identical.  Been discussed elsewhere; can't recall exact specs if there were any presented. 

X rack is more robust.
Lots of players end up with their snare on a stand, so if you don't have one, chalk up another point in favor of the X since it comes with one.
Lots of players end up doing the mesh conversion.  Take half the projected cost and put it on the X, put the full amount on the Studio.

It's easily a numbers proposition from where I sit.  The price of 5 replacement drums on the Studio has got to get you close to the price of the X outright.  Might be cheaper to find used 8" heads on eBay and just buy the X.

Keep coming back to what seems to be your biggest reason for getting it in the first place - to record with.  You could save a bunch by getting the Studio and living with the 8" heads.  You can set these up to be physically easier to play than an acoustic set (perfect for recording vs. using as practice set), trigger your perc inst off the rims, and be done with it.  Buy that other stuff over time.

Like I said at the top - I got the Studio.

dd
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 11:18:17 PM »
Thanks for helpful advice!
The kit won't leave my house anytime soon so the Studio's rack should be fine. Only reason for having the kit is recording and also practicing.

My main reason for getting bigger pads is well, they're bigger! I've played on a roland kit that had all 8" pads and I personally felt it was really horrible and unnatural to play on, hence why I want the sizes to be as close as to a real kit as possible, so I'm unsure if I can live with all 8" pads. The X already has the size I want but I'm unsure about the mylar heads compared to mesh heads, since like you said, a lot end up switching to mesh heads. Is it because of the feel or noise?

Your advice with the splitters sounds clever! Can save up lots of inputs on the Trigger I/O which can be used for extra cymbal pads instead.
Prices won't be a big problem, since I've already saved up a while for more than the kit itself, but money saved is money saved.
I'm more biased on the X kit, as I think having all mesh heads is a bit overkill for my needs, only the snare would be enough.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »
In my opinion, most go to mesh heads for the noise... but I personally like the feel, too (compared to the original mylar... not acoustic).
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline drumday

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
Agree with vtd.  Noise reduction, and the feel is better to me with mesh.

Slunds like X is the one for you.  Hard not to like it...
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 03:32:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I've gone for the X kit, ordered it yesterday along a trigger i/o and extra pads! Can't wait!