Author Topic: DM10 Studio rack vs. DM10 Pro rack  (Read 8162 times)

DM10 Studio rack vs. DM10 Pro rack
« on: November 27, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »
Hey everyone!

I was recently at Guitar Center, and they had a DM10 pro set up.  I was really impressed with the quality of the rack that comes with it.  Almost like a baby Gibraltar rack.

Have any of you played on both the Studio and Pro kits?  How does the Studio rack stack up to the Pro rack?  Are the footprints about the same?  Based on what I've seen, the Pro rack seems to be sturdier than the Studio.  Am I wrong?

Re: DM10 Studio rack vs. DM10 Pro rack
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 08:59:18 AM »
i would think the pro rack is a little sturdier than the studio simple cause its metal. [where as the studio is plastic? ???]

Going a little off topic here, theres a little something to know if your considering buying the Pro rack. I own the dm10 pro and one thing i find hard to deal with is stopping the vibrations when i hit a drum pad/cymbal from going throughout the rack [causing xtalk]. I've tried stuffing [and i mean STUFFING] cotton shirts in the rack but it doesnt seem to do much. For example, everytime i hit my Tom1 rim, i get xtalk from my snare rim. [they are both mounted on the same metal rod] Im not sure personally but i would think that would be an easier problem to solve with a plastic rack.
DM10 Pro kit, Mesh Heads, Quad Kicks, Dampened Rack, Extra Roland Crashes.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:28:24 AM »
I have a DM10 Pro on order.  Is this an issue which cannot be "dialed" out on the DM10?  I have read that others have stuffed the tubes with pipe insulation or spray foam(which I would imagine would get pretty messy), does this not help either?

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
Also, I have noticed online that some have used the foam pipe insulation, has anyone tried the rubber pipe insulation (it is more dense and a bit more expensive (about $6 per 6' length))?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:51:27 AM »
If you are getting any kind of cross talk on your snare, the easiest solution is to get a snare stand. I own the pro and I don't mount my module or my snare on the rack. Notice that the new DM10 X kit uses a snare stand and it is not attached to the rack.

On a side note. Vibration can kill any module. If you are a heavy or frequent player (or gig out a lot), I would either shock mount the module (if you have to put it on the rack) or put that module on its own stand.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:54:38 AM »

On a side note. Vibration can kill any module. If you are a heavy or frequent player (or gig out a lot), I would either shock mount the module (if you have to put it on the rack) or put that module on its own stand.

I didnt know that, but it seems like some pretty important information! Thanks HF!
DM10 Pro kit, Mesh Heads, Quad Kicks, Dampened Rack, Extra Roland Crashes.

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 11:27:16 AM »
How would you recommended shock mounting the module?

Offline Ennuk3

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 12:00:36 PM »
[where as the studio is plastic? ]

It's not plastic, it's aluminium. The clamps are plastic.

Offline wildbill

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 04:46:30 PM »

....On a side note. Vibration can kill any module. If you are a heavy or frequent player (or gig out a lot), I would either shock mount the module (if you have to put it on the rack) or put that module on its own stand.

What about the multi-pad units?  They have a module built in, and some of them have been around a long time, and have taken quite a lot of pounding.

Do you think they're constructed differently somehow to account for this?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »

Sometimes it is just a matter of putting a piece of neoprene foam rubber between the module and the module mount. You can also try putting neoprene rubber washers between the module and the mount and under the screws of the mount.

....On a side note. Vibration can kill any module. If you are a heavy or frequent player (or gig out a lot), I would either shock mount the module (if you have to put it on the rack) or put that module on its own stand.

What about the multi-pad units?  They have a module built in, and some of them have been around a long time, and have taken quite a lot of pounding.

Yes, they are made differently. There are two way to handle vibration isolation. You can either make something super solid (adding mass) or shock mount the internals. I have seen both for those multi pad units. I remember my old yamaha dd-5 multi pad had a heavy duty steel plate that the rubber pads were shock mounted to. I hope that helps.

Offline wildbill

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 05:47:50 PM »

....Yes, they are made differently. There are two way to handle vibration isolation. You can either make something super solid (adding mass) or shock mount the internals. I have seen both for those multi pad units. I remember my old yamaha dd-5 multi pad had a heavy duty steel plate that the rubber pads were shock mounted to. I hope that helps.

Ya - that helps.  Sets my mind at ease a bit.  Even though I'm usually a pretty light player, I'd hate to think I have to baby a fragile unit.

Offline drumday

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »
I repurposed a Gibraltar rack I bought back in the 90s and a couple double tom holders.  Yep, more solid than the Studio rack.  However, I never had an issue; I did it to avaoid a complete tear down/set up when going to practice.

Altho I'd put some insulation between the module and its mounting plate, I ended up putting the module on a wood TV tray that's solid and also roomy enough for a CD player & MP3.  Ended up concluding that having the module on a table was more convenient; I put it to my right and actually prefer it there, which you can't do rack-mounting your module.

And yes, I'd say footprints of the Studio & Pro are the same, or darn close.

dd
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 04:26:50 PM »
i would think the pro rack is a little sturdier than the studio simple cause its metal. [where as the studio is plastic? ???]

Going a little off topic here, theres a little something to know if your considering buying the Pro rack. I own the dm10 pro and one thing i find hard to deal with is stopping the vibrations when i hit a drum pad/cymbal from going throughout the rack [causing xtalk]. I've tried stuffing [and i mean STUFFING] cotton shirts in the rack but it doesnt seem to do much. For example, everytime i hit my Tom1 rim, i get xtalk from my snare rim. [they are both mounted on the same metal rod] Im not sure personally but i would think that would be an easier problem to solve with a plastic rack.

Did you mod your tom?

I have the same problem here.

That's why I think the Rack is a , let's say... BAD.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:29:45 PM by einarabelc5 »

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 04:29:21 PM »

Sometimes it is just a matter of putting a piece of neoprene foam rubber between the module and the module mount. You can also try putting neoprene rubber washers between the module and the mount and under the screws of the mount.

Yes, they are made differently. There are two way to handle vibration isolation. You can either make something super solid (adding mass) or shock mount the internals. I have seen both for those multi pad units. I remember my old yamaha dd-5 multi pad had a heavy duty steel plate that the rubber pads were shock mounted to. I hope that helps.

Do you think the new Studio Kit rack is bad? Because I think so and I believe is the cause of the Dm10 price drop.

Offline drumday

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2011, 01:02:42 PM »
Do you think the new Studio Kit rack is bad? Because I think so and I believe is the cause of the Dm10 price drop.

I do not think the studio rack is bad.  If I were a gigging musician, I'd upgrade it because I don't think repeated tear up/down is what the DM10 Studio was designed for.  It is a STUDIO kit on a small footprint that would be terrific for recording, etc.  Live, travelling, etc., the rack isn't designed for that long term.

Don't think lowering the price has anything to do with the rack.  It's the least expensive component, and if the push is on for the DM10X, it makes sense to widen the price points a bit, and/or clear out inventory.  Some of the prices I'm seeing now on the Studio are quite compelling. 
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 02:14:50 PM »
I agree with Drumday... very happy with my DM10 studio rack.
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 02:03:39 AM »
I visited the DM10 Studio that I'm going to be buying on Monday, and I have to say that I'm not super impressed with the 4 leg rack.

I think it does have about the same footprint as the older style rack, but it seems kinda wobbly/less sturdy.  I suppose once I bring it home and start playing it alot/moving it around/adjusting everything to my liking, I'll have more to say about the issue.  I think ultimately I'm going to try and find a deal on a used Gibraltar rack with the T-legs and use that instead.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »

I do not think the studio rack is bad.  If I were a gigging musician, I'd upgrade it because I don't think repeated tear up/down is what the DM10 Studio was designed for.  It is a STUDIO kit on a small footprint that would be terrific for recording, etc.  Live, travelling, etc., the rack isn't designed for that long term.

Don't think lowering the price has anything to do with the rack.  It's the least expensive component, and if the push is on for the DM10X, it makes sense to widen the price points a bit, and/or clear out inventory.  Some of the prices I'm seeing now on the Studio are quite compelling.

Lemme tell you, my rack SUCKS, it might be either a bad design which will prevent me from getting anything ALESIS ever again or a defective Rack.

Explanation on new thread.

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2366.0
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:12:06 PM by einarabelc5 »

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 03:12:54 PM »
I visited the DM10 Studio that I'm going to be buying on Monday, and I have to say that I'm not super impressed with the 4 leg rack.

I think it does have about the same footprint as the older style rack, but it seems kinda wobbly/less sturdy.  I suppose once I bring it home and start playing it alot/moving it around/adjusting everything to my liking, I'll have more to say about the issue.  I think ultimately I'm going to try and find a deal on a used Gibraltar rack with the T-legs and use that instead.

I'll keep everyone posted.

DON'T BUY IT is a PIECE OF CRAP!!! See my post about why.

Offline drumday

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 03:54:22 PM »
No disagreement with your decision to be on the look out for a used Gibraltar rack.  I happen to be using mine, along with its metal T-rod clamps and heavy duty tom mounts (Ludwig).

I already had the heavier Gibraltar rack I was using with another kit, and repurposed it to avoid the hassles of set up & take down between home & band practice home.  Unless you're a road warrior, I see no urgency whatsoever in going out and immediately buying a different rack. 

I completely disagree with einarabelc5's POV that the rack sucks and that "it is obvious THIS IS a DEFECTIVE rack," unless of course his/her rack is in fact defective.  From a design standpoint, it is not defective.

dd

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 07:12:24 PM »
No disagreement with your decision to be on the look out for a used Gibraltar rack.  I happen to be using mine, along with its metal T-rod clamps and heavy duty tom mounts (Ludwig).

I already had the heavier Gibraltar rack I was using with another kit, and repurposed it to avoid the hassles of set up & take down between home & band practice home.  Unless you're a road warrior, I see no urgency whatsoever in going out and immediately buying a different rack. 

I completely disagree with einarabelc5's POV that the rack sucks and that "it is obvious THIS IS a DEFECTIVE rack," unless of course his/her rack is in fact defective.  From a design standpoint, it is not defective.

dd

And how do you know that If you haven't read my thread about it?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:20:26 PM by einarabelc5 »

Offline drumday

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 10:26:33 PM »
I do know, because I read your thread; that's where I quoted you from.

As I said, I do not know if in fact you received a defective rack, but given my experience with the Studio 2011 rack, and the complete lack of opinions on this forum as to its design being defective, I have no reservations at all in completely disagreeing with the statement that the rack sucks and that "it is obvious THIS IS a DEFECTIVE rack".

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:17 PM »
I do know, because I read your thread; that's where I quoted you from.

As I said, I do not know if in fact you received a defective rack, but given my experience with the Studio 2011 rack, and the complete lack of opinions on this forum as to its design being defective, I have no reservations at all in completely disagreeing with the statement that the rack sucks and that "it is obvious THIS IS a DEFECTIVE rack".

Let me put it this way...If the design yields such results on Quality Control it definitively requires improvement. In Engineering processes EVERYTHING is intertwined, this rack might have escaped QC but yet that should be fed into design. A good design shouldn't be so flimsy I bet you that in Chinese factories there must be A TON of these beams. For example, if they had "rifled" the exterior instead of the interior, this wouldn't be such a major Pain in the A**. From that point of view. I still think it sucks. But THAT'S NOT your point of view.

Offline drumday

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »
Fine.  You say the rack sucks.  Your opinion on QC & engineering aside, what may be more helpful to newbies considering whether to buy the DM10 Studio or any Alesis product is how well Alesis is responding to your problem.  Has your situation been resolved to your satisfaction yet?

Offline Ennuk3

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 03:32:55 PM »
It's a typical dissappointed customer: THEY had one bad experience, THEY are the victims of false advertising, THEY are the victims of bad quality control. Aside from the fact, that you stand almost alone, nobody gives a sh*t.
So stop spreading illogical and idiotic opinions due to one bad experience and take notice in the fact, that you seem to be one of the VERY few unlucky people who managed to get a disfunctional rack. But hey, it happened to you, so everybody must care.