Author Topic: Fitting extra gear on a DM10 rack  (Read 5058 times)

Offline rhysT

Fitting extra gear on a DM10 rack
« on: May 25, 2015, 12:47:19 AM »
Just sharing some ideas for adding extra gear onto a DM10 rack, including a laptop PC, MPX-16, DTX Multi-12 (& extra snare pad) and Pandora-mini. There should also be enough space for a Drumit-3 module next to the DM10's, and a small mixer below the hihat cymbal.

I lowered Toms 1 & 2 and mounted the module above them using Pearl AX-25L adapter/s, plus for the MPX-16 tray and PDX-8 pad. The laptop stand is secured to the RHS leg with a speaker stand bracket (refer to included pics).

This info could be useful for anyone wanting to add a SamplePad Pro, etc to your edrum rack.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 02:12:14 AM by rhysT »

Offline AlanK

Re: Fitting extra gear on a DM10 rack
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 11:19:37 AM »
Wow, RhysT, that's quite an amazing looking setup! I really like the smooth flow you get with the addons, it's like perfect symetry  8)   well done!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:33:55 PM »
OK, I have to ask a couple questions.

Where is the kick?

How are the pedals attached and what is underneath them?

Is this a setup for a lefty?

What is the two button thingy between the 2 snares and what does it do?

Is there a separete laptop stand on top of the mounted speaker stand? If so, which one is it?

Thanks!
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 03:26:35 AM »
Wow, RhysT, that's quite an amazing looking setup! I really like the smooth flow you get with the addons, it's like perfect symetry  8)   well done!
Thanks Alan, yeah the layout allows easy access to everything and the Multi-12 pads trigger their own sounds or the MPX16 kits.

OK, I have to ask a couple questions.

- Where is the kick?

- How are the pedals attached and what is underneath them?

- Is this a setup for a lefty?

- What is the two button thingy between the 2 snares and what does it do?

- Is there a separete laptop stand on top of the mounted speaker stand? If so, which one is it?

Thanks!

1&2) The dual FD-8 kick pedal triggers use an enclosed piezo transducer mounted under the foot plate/s (as shown in the attached pics) They are wired to TS/mono plugs connected to a Y-splitter into the Kick trigger input, and they're usually sold as buzzers: http://www.eng.utah.edu/~cs5789/handouts/piezo.pdf
The pedal to trigger contact is quiet and I've added some foam under the pedals so the neighbors aren't aware when I'm playing.

3) The pads and cymbals are setup similar to the original layout plus the extra kick pedal.

4) The "8 button thingy" is a Korg Pandora mini effects module with "cleaned-up" preset effects to produce a variety of better drum and cymbal sounds. I'll provide more info about it in another thread.

5) The laptop stand/base could be a timber or plastic offcut, like a cutting board.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:44:29 AM by rhysT »

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 04:43:44 PM »
thanks!

Those FD-8 wth the buzzer look pretty cool and can be placed at a more comfortable angle I assume. Are they just set in front of the frame legs? It looked like they were somehow attached.

I wasn't referring to the Korg Pandora, but I would look forward to reading your other thread. I was referring to the small rectangle with the two buttons in between both the left and center snare pads.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 10:01:48 PM »
Those FD-8 wth the buzzer look pretty cool and can be placed at a more comfortable angle I assume. Are they just set in front of the frame legs? It looked like they were somehow attached.

I wasn't referring to the Korg Pandora, but I would look forward to reading your other thread. I was referring to the small rectangle with the two buttons in between both the left and center snare pads.

The FD-8 kick pedals are just positioned near the frame legs and I've stuck some velcro under the foam pads to stop them sliding.

I'm just using the "small rectangle with the 2 buttons" gizmo to increment the kits up or down more easily. It's plugged into the Perc-4 trigger input and configured in the EXT TRIG> INP> Function menu settings.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 04:04:59 PM by rhysT »

Offline kenb021

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 10:33:08 PM »
Yes I have been trying to find a way to make the sample pad pro fit! What did you use to mount that of the top of the arm like that the pearl bracket? The only idea I had was to add a new arm to mount the sample pad pro.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:34:43 PM by kenb021 »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 12:42:19 AM »
Yes I have been trying to find a way to make the sample pad pro fit! What did you use to mount that of the top of the arm like that the pearl bracket? The only idea I had was to add a new arm to mount the sample pad pro.
You can use a Pearl AX-25L adapter to attach the dm10 module to the LHS crash cymbal support (refer to pic).
Also fit a module mounting plate (http://www.alesis.com/modulemount) to your SamplePad Pro and then attach it with the original rack module clamp.
Just be aware that you'll need to swap the Hihat pedal cable with a longer one like the Kick pad's when you relocate the module.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:03:40 AM by rhysT »

Offline kenb021

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 12:51:34 AM »
Yeah I have other ideas that may work as well seeing as I have tomorrow off I will play around with setting things up :D.

Offline kenb021

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 11:11:09 PM »
So i figured out something! What I did was put the snare on a snare stand then take that arm, and extend the left arm with a rack clamp and snare arm. I will have to get a stabilizer for it (it's a little shaky). For some reason its not letting me attach images so here is a link https://www.flickr.com/photos/113269778@N03/shares/4y0Fsc https://www.flickr.com/photos/113269778@N03/shares/q1D9b8
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:14:22 PM by kenb021 »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 11:53:21 PM »
So i figured out something! What I did was put the snare on a snare stand then take that arm, and extend the left arm with a rack clamp and snare arm. I will have to get a stabilizer for it (it's a little shaky).
Another option to consider is reattaching the snare arm to its original leg to support the DM10 module under the hi-hat cymbal.
That allows the SamplePad Pro to be located similar to my Multi-12, which should be more stable and save some space.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:58:37 PM by rhysT »

Offline kenb021

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 12:10:21 AM »
Yeah that's also a good idea

Offline AlanK

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 08:32:21 AM »
Hey Ken, nice setup. How do you like that Sample Pad? Looks awesome. Ha, the best part about the pic is how you're standing up on the stool! Got an excellent bird's eye view of the whole kit! Bravo  lol   8)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline kenb021

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 10:23:33 AM »
The sample pad pro is a good little extra I'm still learning it and trying to solve some crosstalk issues bit other than that I like it.

Offline kenb021

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 06:35:46 PM »
One more thing... You got a link for the speaker stand bracket? I could use a place for my laptop aswell.  :D

Offline rhysT

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 04:54:51 AM »
One more thing... You got a link for the speaker stand bracket? I could use a place for my laptop aswell.  :D
Check with a local music gear supplier for this type of bracket (http://www.ultimatesupport.com/products/speaker-lighting-stands/speaker-stands-accessories/bmb-200k.html) that matches the 1-1/2" (38mm) rack leg size.
My 'no-brand' bracket is similar to this (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EB9760B) which is advertised to fit on a 1-3/8" speaker stand.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:17:47 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 09:21:54 AM »
Here are a bunch of photos of my "hybrid" set up.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/veq4p8cxpa94y5s/AACWxJlM_sAOVbwsWSxpof8Xa?dl=0

It started out as a basic DM 6 but grew to this FrankenKit.
I really, really...really like pushing buttons and changing things up as you can tell.
This is a lot of fun to play around with and I've recently added RhysTs' modified kits to both the DM 10 and Multi-12 modules.
That has really brought out the "flavors" of these modules and opened them up to more realistic sounding kits.

Thanks for checking them out.

powerhouse

Offline AlanK

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 10:56:04 AM »
What an impressive amount of gear you've got there powerhouse! Got enough foot pedals going? hahahaha, I think you should add more ;-)

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »
As a matter of fact, I do have a 2nd. Speed Cobra, 2 Dualists' , a Cannon Twin Effect, An Iron Cobra Junior Black Knight edition double pedal and the stock pedal that came with the DM 6 that's never been used........Unfortunately, as you can see, the kit is shoehorned into a corner of my basement and I don't have anymore room.
I thought about adding a 3 zone snare and I at one time wanted a true HiHat stand but I just don't have the room. So I use a heel switch next to the Real Hat pedal as an electric drop clutch which works great.
I'm still trying to figure out where to mount an articulated arm/bracket for the IPAD for the Multi-12.

Cheers,

powerhouse

Offline AlanK

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »
that's it, then, time to knock out a wall !! #drumsfirst  lol

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 11:44:41 PM »
I had a hard enough time sneaking all that stuff in without the wife finding out.  ;)
I'm sure she'd hear the jack hammer down there!

powerhouse

Offline rhysT

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 12:44:04 AM »
FYI, if floor space is limited then maybe consider a 'high rise' option like this: http://www.michaelrender.com/MII/MII.html

Your Zoom R8 recorder & sampler should supplement the DM10 with some of Strike's extra features plus more.

Btw, it's good to get some feedback from anyone else making use of my revised kits for the Multi-12 also.

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 02:14:41 AM »
Those are great ideas that I never even knew existed.
I feel more "GAS" coming on!

powerhouse

Offline AlanK

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 09:28:53 AM »
ha, Powerhouse, funny you mention sneaking gear past your wife.. we bought a house a few months ago and I got a mancave (was the major must have on my list, and we have four teen to young adults, sharing two bedrooms and all wanting the "basement bedroom".

I said no way. So there's a lock on the door, my beer fridge and drums are in there, and over time I've bought a nice recliner, a big stereo stand and some other gear and just out of luck nobody was in the house when I brought each thing home.. unloaded through the garage, down to the basement, into my den and locked away. None of the kids nor my wife have ever set foot in that room, not even seen inside from the doorway...I go in there stealth mode every time. My wife was bugging me a couple weeks ago to take her in and show her what I've done with the room, somehow sidetracked her and avoided it..hahahaha.. my room, nobody can enter but my buddies.. family doesn't even know where I am when I'm in there lol

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 03:53:46 AM »
I wish that's how it is at my house.
Every time I ordered something, I was praying the big brown truck of happiness would come when my wife was out and about and that's pretty much how it worked out.
So I get all the equipment and every once in a while, I'd disappear down  to the basement without any explanation since that's where all of my tools, work benches etc. are and I begin assembling.
Fast forward a few weeks and my wife goes down to the basement, which she hardly ever does, and is stunned to see what she said "looked like the bridge of the starship Enterprise".
She asked me if I was "getting ready to go on tour" and "where is my levitating, rotating drum cage.
To say she was not pleased is the understatement of the year.
Her argument was that we need all new living room furniture and I wasted all that money on something a 51 year old should have outgrown.
My reply was I'll be able to sit in any old chair when I'm 85 but I might not be able to play the drums so I'm going to enjoy myself while I can.
She just doesn't understand my logic. ;D

powerhouse