Author Topic: DM6 Dual Zone Snare Mesh Conversion  (Read 4115 times)

DM6 Dual Zone Snare Mesh Conversion
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:59:07 PM »
Hi Everyone!

I would like to upgrade the pads on my dm6 to mesh heads. I've seen a few videos on upgrading the single zone tom pads, and it seems relatively simple. However, I have not seen any information on converting the dual zone snare to mesh.
Is this possible?

Offline Corvidae

Re: DM6 Dual Zone Snare Mesh Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 04:25:02 PM »
The process is exactly the same, there's just one more set of piezo wires to watch out for.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 05:10:40 PM »
The reason for my question is the snare has slightly different dimensions than the toms. I tried to fit the 8" rubber head from a tom onto the snare, but the rim was too big by about a half inch. I imagine I'd run into the same problem if I tried to fit the mesh head.

I found these pictures online, so if they don't illustrate what I'm saying, I'll upload my own pictures
Snare     

Tom

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:32:44 PM by nabs »

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:49:53 PM »
The tom in the second picture has been modified, but you can still tell the difference in dimensions from the snare.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »
If anyone is still wondering, I tried it and it did not work. The 8" heads only fit on the toms, not the snare.

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 07:41:09 PM »
I have just completed upgrading my DM6 snare drum, using a RolandMH-8 PDX drum mesh head.
To make it work, I had to remove the inner ring of the hoop to make it fit over the drum base and open up the lug holes outer walls to clear the way for the securing bolts to pass it unhindered.
I then pressed the mesh head hoop into the original Alesis hoop, lining the opened holes in the mesh head with the lug holes of the Alesis hoop. Press firmly, it is a tight fit.
I also made up a hoop as per a video I found on the net (Medellie drum conversion), using builders' metal tape held together with insulation tape wound tightly over the entire hoop that fits snugly into the base of the drum to raise the head height.
Using foam sealing tape, i raised the trigger plate and then I also pasted more of this tape onto the rubber mat (which I trimmed to the size of the plate) on the plastic and metal sensor disc to form a raised bed on which to drum. The combined Alesis/ Roland mesh head/ hoop were the fitted with longer bolts and I used nuts under the base to relieve strain on the plastic thread.

I attach a pdf document I compiled to illustrate what I did. mine works perfectly well, with the normal drum sound obtained from striking the head on the foam bed under it and the rim click sound is obtained by striking the head near or on the hoop that was inserted to raise the head height.

I hope you find my conversion useful.