Author Topic: What’s the right VST for me?  (Read 2297 times)

What’s the right VST for me?
« on: September 17, 2017, 10:38:56 AM »
Recently acquired a DM10 kit. Looking to get into VSTs for recording. I want some super easy.

Goal is to play into Logic via midi and have a plug in with great drum sounds. Don’t desire a ton of tweakability, just good out of the box sounds. Mostly look for big 80’s drum sounds (Collins, Thompson, Aranoff, etc)

Re: What’s the right VST for me?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
I am using Addictive Drums 2, and I am really pleased with it. You get to choose the 3 kits you want and can assign up to 18 instruments. Good luck with whatever you choose

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking of getting the custom bundle. Any packs you’d recommend?  Especially looking for something with that big 80’s sound.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 02:37:51 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I’m thinking of getting the custom bundle. Any packs you’d recommend?  Especially looking for something with that big 80’s sound.

I would   watch/listen to the Overview videos of each ADpaks...these audition the presets for the kit and gives you an idea of editing/maneuvering
https://www.youtube.com/user/XLNaudio/videos

I would also  check the audio demos of songs each ADpak
https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/adpak

It will help you make an informative decision on what will work best for you.
If you don't find exactly what you are looking for..there a many alternatives..EZDrummer...Superior..BFD...SSD etc.
A lot of companies have started producing standalone versions of their Vst over the past couple years...most recently Superior Drummer 3.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:13:46 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 08:14:29 PM »
I’ve tinkered with the demos of Addicted and EZ and definitely like Addicted better. Any tips for mapping to a DM10?  I used the Alesis default and it maps the kick, snare, hi hat and crashes but the Toms and Ride aren’t triggering.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 10:04:02 PM »
I’ve tinkered with the demos of Addicted and EZ and definitely like Addicted better. Any tips for mapping to a DM10?  I used the Alesis default and it maps the kick, snare, hi hat and crashes but the Toms and Ride aren’t triggering.

If it's the DEMO..it's restricted..stated on the download page

"NO TIME LIMIT - use it as long as you like
INCLUDES demo version of the acclaimed Fairfax Vol. 1 ADpak (Kick, Snare, Hihat & Crash)
THE FULL VERSION of Addictive Drums 2 comes with full kits with toms & cymbals, plus lots more presets, MIDI beats and fills"

If you end up purchasing the full version.It's a generic Alesis map ... and remember when you ask for any tips..you don't have the DM10...you have the DM10 MKII Pro..
That's when all the confusion starts..I compared the Midi Note maps..the DM10..DM10 MKII Studio and the DM10 MKII Pro.. they are all different...especially the toms

You'll have to map to the DM10 MKII Pro...the mid-notes for the DM10 MKII Pro are in the user guide page 7.
Select (?) in AD2 and go to the map window and you'll find all the options..midi learn etc...the best tip I have is read the manual..
familiarize yourself with the procedure as it applies to practically all drum software out there, there won't be a specific map included for the DM10 MKII Pro...
When you are done mapping ..Don't forget to save..

You can either use the AD2 on board manual..or download the pdf..page 35

https://www.xlnaudio.com/support/topics/addictive-drums-2-manual

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:01:38 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:12:52 AM »
Ugh, embarrassing.  I need to slow down and read things. Thanks for your assistance Chaser.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 04:55:08 PM »
No worries.Nobody has ever accused enthusiasm as being a bad thing.
The goal of the forum is to assist in finding solutions so you can spend more time Drumming.. less time problem solving.

:)

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 08:44:52 PM »
I have to say I bought the Retroplex (Vista-Lite) it is really cool on top of the Prog (DW Collector), Pop (Sonor Designer) and the Metal (Ludwig Maple) I selected with the Custom.  I really like all the kits. Waiting for black Friday to pick up a few more.

Offline VandalX

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 01:34:05 PM »
I just started with AD2. Love it. Got the custom bundle with Retroplex, Black Velvet and Blue Oyster kits. I was looking for Moon/Bonham kit analogs. With some tweaking I get what I want. The mapping for a MKII Pro is a little confusing, but once you remap the settings it works flawlessly. Then it's a matter of how screwed up you can make everything, which is pretty awful in my case! Luckily, I like to tinker, and through my mistakes I seem to be learning a lot. I tried out the EZ Drummer 2 demo, and I quite liked the sounds I was getting, but AD2 looked as if it had more features. Along with the wonderful advice from our drum heroes here on the forum, it made the decision easier.
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.