Author Topic: New Alesis Drum Module "Crimson" with New Kit that has red pads with mesh heads?  (Read 21326 times)

I just seen this in a sale flyer today and had to take a second and third look before it sunk in.. .  It appears to be a brand new Alesis module and kit with red colored pads and mesh heads.  I noticed that the module has a very similar Roland TD-25'ish look to it..  Anyone know specifics about this new module?  The flyer said...(600 sounds, 70 kits, 120 play-alongs, USB memory stick input, onboard storage for 5 user songs.).  That's about all it says regarding the module)...  The whole kit is $999.  There was also a picture of a new sample pad (Samplepad 4)  which appears to be a smaller and less expensive version of their new Samplepad PRO..  i will put up the pic for that also...   I sure would like to get my hands on that new module as well as the samplepad4!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 11:13:31 PM by DMdrummer Staff »
Alesis Products DM10,DM8,TriggerIO,JamDock,DMPhones,Elevate3ActiveMonitors, Presonus AudioBox 22VSL,Roland Blue MDS10 Rack,Roland Pads:3xPD100 custom dual zone,1xPD120,3xPDX8,2xKD8,2xRare Roland BD Pedals,2xRolandHiHatPedals,Numerous Roland\Alesis Cymbals,Numerous Roland\Gibraltar Clamps.

Offline Hellfire

Awesome post OldSchool_AlesisDrummer. I've heard rumors of a possible new Alesis drum module. To be 100% honest I thought it was going to be a totally new module designed by Alesis.  After looking at the image you provided of the module it looks to be a Medeli rebrand of the DD650 drum module. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I was hoping for something a little more in house from Alesis. It looks as if Alesis has dropped the "DM" naming from their modules as well. I hope it's truly the next step after the DM10. Only time will tell.

Here's a pic of the Medeli DD650 drum module:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 07:37:03 AM by Hellfire »

Wow.. good call HF.  They are an identical match with regard to the control placement.(the same book with different covers..).  I think it is kinda funny that both of them seem to be trying to mimic the look of two different Roland modules..  The Medeli looks like the TD-11 and the Alesis looks like the TD-25.   
Alesis Products DM10,DM8,TriggerIO,JamDock,DMPhones,Elevate3ActiveMonitors, Presonus AudioBox 22VSL,Roland Blue MDS10 Rack,Roland Pads:3xPD100 custom dual zone,1xPD120,3xPDX8,2xKD8,2xRare Roland BD Pedals,2xRolandHiHatPedals,Numerous Roland\Alesis Cymbals,Numerous Roland\Gibraltar Clamps.

Offline Trondster

They seem to have the same specifications as well "70 kits" vs "50 preset and 20 user kits".
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Hellfire

I think it is kinda funny that both of them seem to be trying to mimic the look of two different Roland modules..  The Medeli looks like the TD-11 and the Alesis looks like the TD-25.   

Not really. Roland is the leader in the market. "When in Rome, do as the Roman's do". They are coping what they (meaning Medeli) are the trends. I think the name "Crimson" is a poor choice on Alesis part. We already have Ddrum (which is red) and Pearl Redbox. It just seems a little over saturated with the "red" thing. And of course no more "DM" moniker which I find to be a little odd.

The DD650 module is able to handle user samples (from Medeli's website):

"Downloadable User kits and User Samples
With the USB port supporting both MP3 and Wav files, you can now download your favorite samples and kits from computers to the DD650 drum module under user kit and user voice."

But, Medeli also states this in their specs: "Voices 628 + 14 Hi-Hat; User ( 16M max )"

I really hope they don't mean 16 Mb when they state "16M max" If they do, that nothing more than your favorite cowbell and maybe a wood block. At least by todays standards.

@ OldSchool_AlesisDrummer: If you don't mind me asking, what flyer was this from?

Offline rhysT

The DD650 module is able to handle user samples (from Medeli's website):

"Downloadable User kits and User Samples
With the USB port supporting both MP3 and Wav files, you can now download your favorite samples and kits from computers to the DD650 drum module under user kit and user voice."

But, Medeli also states this in their specs: "Voices 628 + 14 Hi-Hat; User ( 16M max )"

I really hope they don't mean 16 Mb when they state "16M max" If they do, that nothing more than your favorite cowbell and maybe a wood block. At least by todays standards.

Maybe Medeli reckon 16Mb sample ram is enough to have an advantage over the equivalent Roland and Yamaha drum modules.
The DTX500 series only include a meager 1Mb, whereas their DTX700 module and DTX Multi-12 provide 64Mb WAV file memory.
Hopefully 2box can shake up the competition with a reasonably priced Drumit-3 module & kit (including at least 4Gb of 'fast access' samples with 100 Preset/User kits). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7g4hLLYhjA
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 11:06:10 PM by rhysT »

Offline Hellfire

Did you guys see the other "NEW" products in the Alesis edrum line?

CompactKit 4:

(Medeli DD60)

CompactKit 7:

(Medeli DD315)

I guess they decided to raid the Medeli catalog for new products.

On a side note, I'm trying to decide if the new Alesis "Crimson" replaces the DM7, DM8, or DM10. I'm starting to think it isn't a replacement for the DM10. Why you ask? The current DM10 X mesh kit is much larger than the new "Crimson". I'm going to guess it is the DM8 replacement (I have no inside info, I'm just guessing). I'm also wondering if "Crimson" (man, I just don't like that name) is not the only new drum kit we will be seeing soon.

Winter NAMM 2016 is around the corner and Crimson (at least in the pictured configuration) doesn't look like a top of the line kit replacement. A top of the line kit (if Alesis is looking to replace the DM10) would at least be as big (piece wise) and the DM10 X Mesh Kit plus a real hi-hat stand (and hopefully a larger kick tower). Again, just guessing.

Also, did anyone else notice the "DM Dock Pro Kit" is no longer pictured on the Alesis product page. It's not even listed under "Legacy" products. I guess it wasn't a success.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:11:07 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Hellfire

The new Alesis Crimson kit is now up on Musicians Friend's web site:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/alesis-crimson-electronic-5-piece-drum-kit-with-mesh-heads

It's suppose to ship November 20th of this year.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:40:54 AM by Hellfire »

Offline rhysT

Gee HF, Alesis are being rather secretive about their new 'Crimson' kit.

Have you got another link we could try?

Offline Hellfire

Gee HF, Alesis are being rather secretive about their new 'Crimson' kit.

Have you got another link we could try?

My bad. Copy and paste for the link didn't work quite right. It is now updated (and tested).  :)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/alesis-crimson-electronic-5-piece-drum-kit-with-mesh-heads

Offline AlanK

I'm not a big fan of the red (ok, Crimson!) look but I guess it'll fill a gap in pricing for people who want a step up from the DM10 Studio but can't afford the 10X or the new mesh. The module looks shiney and sleek. I was about to diss it since the DM10 has 100 presets and 100 user kits and many more voices.. but lately I use AD2 most of the time anyways so as long as the module can pass midi.. why not. Anyway, same rack, one less floor tom.. differnt module.

Edit: I see now, 8" upper toms, a 10" floor, one less crosspiece on the front of the frame, and slightly rounded side bars.. interesting, and different feet..same quick connect clamps, but look at the size of the module clamp :-)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 08:54:51 AM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Hellfire

Edit: I see now, 8" upper toms, a 10" floor, one less crosspiece on the front of the frame, and slightly rounded side bars.. interesting, and different feet..same quick connect clamps, but look at the size of the module clamp :-)

I would like to see an actual kit pic. After looking at the images on MF, they are heavily photoshoped.

Top of the crash cymbal doesn't look right to me. The hi-hat has artificial noise on the T-nut and the module is missing midi ports and DB25 connection.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:40:00 AM by Hellfire »

Offline AlanK

Good catch. Seems they tend to photoshop the first photos they put out on some products. Makes you wonder what goes on in the advertising and/or production depts when they're told they need to get some media ready for distribution.. "hey, gimme some photos of that new Crimson we're building" "but it's just a prototype, it's not ready!" "who cares, gimme a frame and a few pads, we'll photoshop in the cymbals and a module, I don't care if the case isn't finished!"
If that module is at least close to the finished product, what's it going to be, a snake? Has usb midi, old style midi (at least circles where they'd be, maybe the two sets of phono stereo outs.. but what are the 3.5mm looking plugs for, mp3 input? In a way, using 3.5mm inputs almost makes sense as any time I'm connecting into the module it's always been from my phone, laptop, tablet, all using the headphone out so why have to use a 3.5mm to 1/4" phono adaptor..
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline ChrisK

Offline rhysT

Clever ploy by Alesis to make the Crimson module look like a streamlined TD-11 and combine it with similar size pads and cymbals on a TD-25KV kit.
A search for "Pure Drum" (the Medili DD650 sound library provider) didn't reveal much info, but at least we'll soon find out more about the quality and variety of Crimson's drum sounds.
Btw, I was unimpressed with the 18 available kits in a demo TD-25 and its other limitations, which tend to make a DM10/X Mesh kit good value by comparison.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:20:29 AM by rhysT »

Offline Hellfire

Re: Hmm
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »
http://www.noterepeat.com/products/alesis/electronic-percussion/crimson-mesh-kit/699-alesis-crimson-mesh-kit-frequently-asked-questions

I noticed this:

Can I use my own audio files and create my own kits?
Absolutely! 

The Crimson Mesh Kit allows you to add any WAV file up to 16-bit/48kHz to a 4GB to 64GB FAT32 formatted USB drive and add to/createyour own unique kit.  Each sample must be a 16-bit mono WAV file with a maximum size of 15 MB. It can have a sampling rate of 48, 44.1, 32, 22.05, or 11.025 kHz.

To load your own samples from a USB flash drive to use as voices within a kit:

Press Kit to enter the Kit Selection page (if you are not already viewing it).
Press Menu to enter the Kit Menu.
Use the Down and Up buttons to select USB Memory, and then press Enter.
Use the Down and Up buttons to select Sample Load, and then press Enter. A list of your samples will appear in the display.
Use the Down and Up buttons to select a sample, and then press Enter.
When Load to User Voice? appears in the display, press Enter to load the sample or Exit to cancel. You may need to wait a minute for the sample to load, depending on its size.

So the 15 MB is the max for the individual samples (not bad), but is there a limit to the number of sample in a kit?

Also, I just read the user guide (from the Alesis website) and it states this for samples:

Note: Samples that you have loaded to the drum module can only be deleted all at once. In other words, if you have loaded multiple samples into a kit (or to multiple kits), you cannot delete only one of your samples; you must delete all of them.

The biggest issue I see is multi-layered samples. I'm sure their internal sounds have multi-layered samples, but something tells me the user will not be able to use multi-layered samples.

that brain looks sexy...

the red lines are a bit of me...

you can cut and paste any sounds to make a drum kit...

wow - what more could you ask for?

Offline rhysT

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »

So the 15 MB is the max for the individual samples (not bad), but is there a limit to the number of sample in a kit?

The Crimson specs state "Up to 99 user-loaded samples, 16 MB total" so the 15MB max for each sample is prob'ly no big deal.

Also, I wonder if the module has a similar TD-25 limitation of not being able to set each pad's head and rim voices separately.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »

The Crimson specs state "Up to 99 user-loaded samples, 16 MB total" so the 15MB max for each sample is prob'ly no big deal.

Also, I wonder if the module has a similar TD-25 limitation of not being able to set each pad's head and rim voices separately.

Well, 16 MB total is one major limitation. No one can make a true good sounding custom kit using just 16 MB. I'm sure one could make some good sounding electronica type stuff, but that's about it.

I'm sorry but the 16 MB limit is a much larger issue than the limitation on head rim voice separation. Unfortunately, most aren't going to see that limit until after they buy the module and try making their own kit. Mainly because most users don't understand what it takes to make a good acoustic sounding drum kit in a drum module.

I also noticed that the "Crimson" lacks many of the DM10 editing features.

I really hope Alesis doesn't consider this the replacement for the DM10. I will be watching the 2016 NAMM news to see if Alesis is holding on to a larger announcement.

Offline Trondster

Well - doesn't the Dm10 have about 1000 instruments stored in 128MB?
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Hellfire

Yes, but not all of them are multi-layered. But in reality that doesn't matter since the Crimson (as far as we know) can't load multi-layered instruments. It's really a shame because I know most users will think, "All I need is the one good sample and it will be perfect", until they play a roll with that one sample and realize it no longer sounds good.

Offline vaikl

These are SoundFont-based samples which come with in-build, programmable and tweakable parameters like pitch or gain. This way one can build up a big library in a drum machine brain with sound alternatives and layer-like variants, which could be all based on one or two original, small samples. Only the perfect algorithms to perform a programmed or combined sound very fast will make the difference.

And Alesis is (or was) one of very few companies which can work with such perfect algorithms since their very first drum expanders.

Offline ClaudioCas

If the module doesn't support multisample, the customs kit from wav will be only a "feature on the manual" and completely unusable due to fake sound with missing dynamics and articulation.
Why alesis don't make a Dm20 module instead make nitro drum kit??