Author Topic: The New Look  (Read 6116 times)

Offline kenb021

Re: The New Look
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2016, 02:51:42 PM »
This is definetally going on my to do list once I finish deciding if I want to get another alesis pad or get a laurin snare.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 09:45:20 PM »
I went for a Laurin snare drum and kick drum, they work great and make the kit look even more "acoustic". The guy was great to deal with, quick to answer questions, I had a problem with getting the kick trigger to work how I liked it, and he sent out a replacement piezo, cone and connectors and followed up. Very committed to customer satisfaction.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 06:45:33 AM »
I will be wrapping mine in Birdseye maple veneer I think. Check out Lenderink tech or cards of wood online. They do SUPER thin veneer!!!! I use it to wrap 2" carbon fiber AR15 hand guards. Would be perfect for drums.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2016, 06:31:35 PM »
AlanK.

From all the ideas on here, making them deeper was something I asked earlier. Jimmy said routing the edge of the PVC would be difficult due to low melting point. What if you didn't have to?

This might not be dooable, but what if you cut the pvc 4" and somehow attached them (butt together) to the bottom of the existing shell that's being used that already has a bearing edge? Any wrap you put over it would cover the seam.

Put a couple of these on the inside, attach 4" PVC, wrap, get longer tension rods.

Is that crazy enough that it just might work?
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 12:34:06 PM »
That looks GREAT!!!  I'll be using super thin veneer made by Lenderink Tech that I have used in the past for wrapping 2" carbon fiber tubing.  It's great stuff.  I even have business cards made out of it!  Anyways, I have 3M permanent double stick tape I'll be using.  It is VERY aggressive stuff.  I will obviously post pictures when I do it.

Oh, how do you like that hihat setup?  I was looking at that and curious how it runs.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2016, 01:44:59 PM »
Can't wait to see the pics when you've done your laminating etc.. always cool to see how people are modding their kits. The hi-hat is ok, takes some getting used to.. there are a lot of discussions here on the Pro X setups.. last night I was hating mine.. but our teenager had friends over on Saturday and they were downstairs and I'm sure on my drums, I think they messed with the position or something.. they also broke the headset cable.. it has the R & L wires joining into a Y and one wire was starting to strip away exposing the wire.. it's been all electrical taped up so one of them likely shat his pants for a bit when it came apart, lol, but at least they didn't bust one of my mesh heads! And they didn't finish all our booze, so I gotta hand it to 'em for being behaved.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »
I just realized I already posted in this thread!  Lol!  Oh well.  Glad not too much was messed up from the youngsters.  Ain't no kiddies gonna be playing my kit unless I am supervising!!!   ;D

Offline AlanK

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2016, 09:56:32 AM »
Couple of new pics I took with the new cellphone cam.. better res and shows the blue sparkle with the brown snare nicely, I think

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2016, 04:57:10 PM »
I'm thinking you could score some plywood shells or tubes and laminate them pretty easy.  I have found them online when specing out conference tables with pedestal column bases.  You could order say a 4' section in whatever diameter and cut it up and edge the top with a router and then install the hardware from the Alesis set and have the new Strike set!  DIY for sure and probably cost a bit and be some labor, but certainly an option. 

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2016, 06:28:11 PM »
Here.  27" length of maple in 12" diameter costs about $100 plus shipping.  Cut it up into slightly taller shells, say 6 shells that are 4" tall.  Just a thought.  You could stain the maple or finish it natural or laminate something cool on it like you did with the blue sparkle stuff or paint them too!  Krylon camo baby!!!!   :o

http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.Asp?WoodType=MAPLE&CATID=10&Section=TABLEBASE&wDesc=Table%20Base%2027%201/2%20in.%20Maple

They also sell drum shells, but they are pricier than the table bases.  Likely the quality is better and you can chose the number of plys and all that, but the shells for the Alesis drums are not acoustically important, so go for the cheaper alternative I say!! 

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »
In order to extend the shells you would still have to mount the piezo assembly towards the top of the shell so it still has contact with the mesh head. I looked on craigslist and see 5 piece sets for $100-$150 just for the shells to convert over.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2016, 10:27:38 PM »
Great suggestions.. and that multi ply maple stock shell is really cool.. it's too bad it didn't come in shorter lengths. I've got one 8", one 10" to do and two 12's so I'd only need a few short depths... getting the smallest 27" or so unit is a lot of waste for me. I think if I was really serious about getting deeper shells, I'd just buy a cheap drum set and convert it, and yes, Ron, I guess I'd have to install wood crossbeams and put my triggers and cones up just below the mesh.. all doable, but I'm probably (finally?) at a point with my kit that it should just be left as is   :-[

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 07:36:47 AM »
Good idea buying a cheap used set!  So long as the shells are the right size to match your rims on your dm10.  That's why that maple ply tubing is cool because you can match your diameter and cut to length and then fire it up!  I guess it is not quite that easy, as the "fire it up" part might involve a few drilling steps.  LOL!!

Offline AlanK

« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2016, 10:56:20 AM »
True. I wonder what size paint cans are.. they sell them empty at the hardware store... hmmmm...

« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2016, 12:28:53 PM »
Yet another great idea!!!  Quart and gallon at our store.  Lol!

Offline Dobly

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2016, 06:12:21 PM »
The blue looks great AlanK!