Author Topic: Metal test  (Read 4814 times)

Metal test
« on: December 16, 2011, 07:17:45 PM »
Tons of stuff to learn about recording, playing, mixing etc. Recording everything by your lonesome is very hard, not just learning the instruments but learning EQ, compression, effects, Q's, delay offset on distortion, and treading through 7 string 60-200 hz mud, all the hard stuff. I don't have much experience because I'm in camp for work with no equipment 3/4 of my time but I'm happy with the sound for the money I've put in and only doing this for about 3 months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7lx9WwXoCw&feature=g-upl&context=G25e5796AUAAAAAAAAAA

New Song ***
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-km6d7aaBjo&feature=BFa&list=ULO7lx9WwXoCw

Cheers,
Josh
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:00:56 PM by drumnoob »
DM10 Studio with 2 extra 12" cymbals - Roland Mesh - Tama Iron Cobra HP900 double - Steven Slate 3.5 - Resolve A5 Monitors - KRK 8400  - Ibanez H.R. Giger (EMG 81/85)- Dean 7 String Razorback - Line 6 HD500 - Sonar X1 Pro

Offline fulrmr

Re: Metal test
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 09:03:36 AM »
Excellent! Very well balanced mix. Kudos!

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 11:06:42 AM »
I'm not at all a metal person, but I really enjoyed listening to that.  Did you play  a lot of it, or program it into the DAW, or what?

Sounded very "TSO-like", to me.

Looking forward to the finished product!
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 10:56:44 AM »
I played it, but fixed the timing and velocities in Sonar. Troubles with my toms registering too light after mesh conversion, and I've only been playing for 8 months (3 months actually playing due to work). Thanks for the positive feedback!
DM10 Studio with 2 extra 12" cymbals - Roland Mesh - Tama Iron Cobra HP900 double - Steven Slate 3.5 - Resolve A5 Monitors - KRK 8400  - Ibanez H.R. Giger (EMG 81/85)- Dean 7 String Razorback - Line 6 HD500 - Sonar X1 Pro

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:41:10 PM »
Excellent work my friend, really great! I love the double bass at the 1:30 mark area and as I was playing with my foot I almost did the exact same thing. Drummers intuition I guess. Good stuff man.

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 06:04:31 PM »
I just wish I had a space like that....3 months durmming? Can you tell me how many MAN HOURS have you spend practicing (estimate).

How many in guitar?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 06:09:15 PM by einarabelc5 »

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 07:56:11 PM »
Nice work.  Do you by chance have a midi map of how you interfaced the DM10 with Steven Slate Drums?

Offline drumday

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 08:49:34 PM »
Very fine talent you're sharing.  Heavy metal minimalist.  Liked it a lot. 
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys, sorry for the delay.

Nice work.  Do you by chance have a midi map of how you interfaced the DM10 with Steven Slate Drums?

I changed a few things on the module itself to send out to the corresponding SSD notes. If you have a DAW, just check what midi note=what drum piece, then change the output on the DM10.

I just wish I had a space like that....3 months durmming? Can you tell me how many MAN HOURS have you spend practicing (estimate).

How many in guitar?

I was practicing roughly 2 hours a day, my legs couldn't handle much more even with the extra bounce from the mesh kick lol. I haven't been able to play due to our aparment building being constructed of concrete and steel. I have come up with a solution of a truly floating platform that will carry 0% of the reverberations through to the floor, not using any compressable material e.g. tennis balls or floating from the ceiling. When I get the time to build it, I'll post all the details. I know everyone will benefit from the idea.

And thanks, Drumday! I love metal, every shape and form, but when everything is over the top it gets to be too much after 30 seconds lol.

Thanks again for the support guys, it keeps me motivated to continue learning and practicing!

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 12:59:08 PM »
Sad, I've tried 5 times to load that video, but the youtube player just keeps spinning round and round. Will try again tomorrow, would love to hear some good metal \m/

- Jimmy Rage
Warrior poet, guitar vocalist bassist drummer
... and inventor of the three-legged setup

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »
Brilliant mix dude!!
How on earth did you get to that skill level in 3 months!? I've been playing for just over 5 months now, spending a similar amount of time practising and I'm rubbish compared to this :(

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
wow, nice job! Very good mix, nice and clean.

I never got into the 7 string thing, simply out of cost. I'm all for ridiculous detuning, however.

This reminds me, does anyone else have a mix or something they'd like to show off? As soon as I get some string instruments again, I'm going to attempt to do something which might just be impossible; try to make a completely digital recording experience sound like it was done with a few microphones in an old barn. I was thinking of going all out and doing some ambient pre and post-musical sounds, like walking on old boards and wind sounds.

Which also brings me to another point; Anyone want to collaborate? How about setting your bpm for 120 and playing a 4/4 beat for a while? Upload to soundcloud, or attach the MIDI file to a post.
DM8 pro!

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys!

Here's the newest song I've recorded (also in sights and sounds but here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-km6d7aaBjo ). Quality goes up substantially everytime I try this, can't wait to see what I can do in a few years. Software was metal machine toontrack instead of SSD on the new song, it's easier to work with in my opinion and the sounds are great after you process everything.

jonheartguy: That would be a cool project to work on, I wonder if you boost your early reflections with the mics off-axis and double the reverb with a room setting on low frequency then hall size for some mid highs if you could simulate the rafters bouncing the signal. Also maybe layering some 16 bit symbals over the 24 bit until it gets those crusty highs for the trails. I would love to work on it, but I work in the bush and my season starts on Monday. I'll be free this fall if you want to do something though!

NatDaGamer: Thanks man, I couldn't get the guitar tone I wanted but I found out why. There was digital clipping from the signal being to hot going through the HD500, and I got some phantom center bleeding from using the same track panned L/R for the rythym. Meh learning curve I guess. I used to tap all day long in class playing punk beats in high school 10 years ago, so I'm sure that helped pick up the drums faster lol.

Cheers guys!

Offline vaikl

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 05:36:15 PM »
I'm not the Metal guy, but I must confess that it's a very, very good and solid mix (beside your good play!). Keep it going on, I'm shure we'll hear more from you even from other, bigger sources! 8) 8)

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 02:57:50 AM »
Finally checked back on the video and it was working! Killer playing on the guitar and the drums, very musical!

- Jimmy

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 03:12:43 AM »
Put together a video of your playing! That would be even better! I'm really impressed with your timing, it's spot on!

- Jimmy

Offline Andy Keys

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 05:17:01 AM »
Finally got around to watching these. There is some great stuff here! I particularly liked the "new setup test" video. It makes me want to play widdly Dream Theatery keyboards over, under and beside it  :) Looking forward to you posting more.