Author Topic: New drum day (should I be really worried about these problems?)  (Read 3066 times)

Ride edge can be triggered only if u hit super hard and there's 70% chance it wont trigger even then. I'm okay with that because I just need bow and bell so no probs there. Cymbal in the middle (marked as DMPad 12" Cymbal) triggers well in the middle under the trigger but sometimes doesn't trigger when you hit other parts. First cymbal and ride bow trigger perfectly. Ride bell can be sometimes hard to hit. What I didn't notice before is that you MUST hit the center of toms to be sure you'll get nice signal (if you hit anywhere close to the rim you won't trigger or you'll get a really weak signal, it DOES trigger but the difference between center and other parts is just big). Crosstalk is decent . I don't get any crosstalk between cymbals and the rest of the set, but the crosstalk between toms is kinda bad (which can be fixed with fiddling with the settings so it's not a big deal). Hi-hat controller require that you change your technique a bit because it can make the quick close&open sound even if you wanted quick close sound, the rest is working fine about it if you calibrate it well.
Otherwise the kit is good for the money, snare have really nice dynamic and is reponsive, most of the things can be worked around with changing some settings, I'll work on it and post what I can't get worked out (which might be 2nd cymbal response and ride edge triggering). Also pads are kinda loud, especially kick pad, but I'm gonna mesh them anyways.

That pedal is super old Amati that's falling apart and is almost unusable.
Ordered Gibraltar Direct Drive Double Intruder to replace it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:53:33 AM by xeonblade »

Offline Trondster

Re: New drum day (should I be really worried about these problems?)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:03:10 AM »
What you should do is to spend some time with the trigger settings - read the xtalk setting thread and have a go. This will help with the crosstalk between pads and on the different zones on the same pad, as well as the responsiveness. The trigger settings are, unfortunately, rather awful out of the box.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:06:16 AM »
I've noticed that Snare (10") have great response and dynamics but 8" pads are kinda MEH and trigger well only when you hit right in the center. Are they constructed differently? Also I think my TOM1 have less sensitivity and  response than other toms. Maybe its tuned different or something?
About the sensitivity... I have all around 20-30, should I adjust the sensitivity so it's just UNDER clipping point when I hit the hardest or what?

Offline Trondster

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 10:09:11 AM »
To get the pads working better regarding rim/head issues:
Increase the zone xtalk to 5-6. Reduce the rim sensitivity. Increase the head sensitivity. Increase the threshold.

Regarding tom1 - read the tom1 thread, add washers to the backmost screws on the module mount and lower the Vel>Level on the instrument.

Don't hit the rims right on top of the module mount - instead, angle the toms a bit.

Experiment with the curves and sensitivity. Increase the volume in your headphones when adjusting the curves and sensitivity - the spline curves are fine, to allow you to make both softer ghost notes and harder accents. Watch the volume meter in the ext trigger menu when adjusting the sensitivity and curves. The volume meter should reach the maximum only on extra hard accents.

:)

DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:20:51 PM »
DMPad 12" Cymbal is really bad. It resonates thru whole rack and have good response only exactly underneath the trigger. This one:

But DMPad 12" CRASH Cymbal IS GREAT.

Does anyone feel like me about DMPad 12" Cymbal or I just got bad piece?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:03:56 AM by xeonblade »