Author Topic: DM10 ezdrummer2 and active speaker  (Read 1439 times)

DM10 ezdrummer2 and active speaker
« on: June 05, 2018, 04:40:12 AM »
Hi everybody,
I play on alesis dm10 for 5 years. Since 2 weeks, i downloaded ezdrummer2 on my laptop and plugged it via midi with the dm10 module. Everything went fine : i hear the sounds played by ezdrummer2 with a earphone plugged in my laptop.
Here are my 2 problems:
- i'd like to play ezdrummer2 on music coming from spotify (like a cover) installed on a android tablet and to ear the music + the drums in my earphone plugged on the laptop. Before i have ezdrummer, i used to play dm10 sounds with my tablet (with spotify) plugged in the aux in of the module. My earphone was plugged in the module.
- i would like to hear ezdrummer2 sounds no more in my earphone plugged in the laptop but in my active drums speaker (500w). When i connect my laptop to the active speaker with the jack wire, the sound is very weak and with some breath sound ( like wind).
perhaps i need an external ampli between the laptop and the active speaker.
I use the asio driver for the sound card of the laptop.
Thank you for your help and sorry again for my english.
Mathieu

Offline Dobly

Re: DM10 ezdrummer2 and active speaker
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 02:31:06 AM »
I would not rely on the 'usually rubbish' sound chip that comes on laptops.. A USB interface would serve you better. Something like the Focusrite 2i2 (or some other brand)

That will give you a clean and low latency sound out of your laptop.

You could I think plug your tablet into one of the inputs on the 2i2 and thereby have your tracks to play along with.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 09:30:47 AM »
Thanks for the reply,
i was wandering on internet shops and i found this: PreĀ­sonus AudioBox USB 96 (https://www.thomann.de/fr/presonus_audiobox_usb_96.htm?glp=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhuPVj4q_2wIVD50bCh2k1AoLEAQYAyABEgKTZPD_BwE).
I would have to use a midi cable between the dm10 module (midi out) and the Presonus (midi in). The presonus would be linked to my laptop (ezdrummer2 launched in standalone) with a usb cable. My tablet (with spotify on it) would be linked to the Presonus with a jack-jack (instrument in). Finally, The Presonus main out would be linked to my active speaker.
Is that a right configuration to play vst drums on some music tracks ?
Thank you again for your help.
Mathieu

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 10:19:25 PM »
No... You can leave the module plugged direction into the laptop. That is the fastest way to get the signal into the laptop..

The USB interface is for getting the audio out of the laptop in a clear and low latency way.

In my case I have (had, before my DM10 started playing up) my DM10 module directly into a laptop. Then Addictive drums could see the DM10 and I could trigger sounds. Using just the laptops audio out I had shocking latency. I fixed this by adding a Focusrite 2i4 to the mic and used it's ASIO driver. 

The USB interface becomes the sound card on your laptop.  Make sense?