Author Topic: Dm5 hi hat  (Read 1960 times)

Dm5 hi hat
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:21:44 AM »
So I may be asking a ridiculous question here but I'm looking for a definite answer as I can't find anything on the net that helps really.

I have a dm5 module which I use to trigger acoustic drums...(works well)

What I want to know is if I can make the dm5 produce a more authentic hi hat sound. I know that a trigger io used with the dm5 will allow me to use dual zone triggers. But can I use the io to make a continuous hi hat using the samples on the dm5?

Thanks in advance for any help
pearl forum fz A to E conversion (half complete)
ddrum redshot triggers, Pearl muffle heads, unbranded 2 ply mesh kick head
Alesis DM5
Tama iron cobra jr double pedal

Offline Hellfire

Re: Dm5 hi hat
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:13:43 PM »
So I may be asking a ridiculous question here but I'm looking for a definite answer as I can't find anything on the net that helps really.

I have a dm5 module which I use to trigger acoustic drums...(works well)

What I want to know is if I can make the dm5 produce a more authentic hi hat sound. I know that a trigger io used with the dm5 will allow me to use dual zone triggers. But can I use the io to make a continuous hi hat using the samples on the dm5?

Thanks in advance for any help
Welcome to the forum Carrickter.

Short answer to your question: No

Long answer: The DM5 (designed and built in 1996) was not designed to have continuous controlled hi-hat. Back then continuous control of the hi-hat in electronic drums was not a standard thing. Only the "Open", "Closed" & "Foot chick" sounds exist in the DM5. The DM5 uses a simple switch for Hi-Hat controller. Back in 1996 many would use a keyboard sustain pedal for a DM5 Hi-hat control. I hope that helps.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Re: Dm5 hi hat
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:41:52 AM »
Thankyou. Already now I know it's plan b, upgrade module haha. Thanks for clearing that one up :)
pearl forum fz A to E conversion (half complete)
ddrum redshot triggers, Pearl muffle heads, unbranded 2 ply mesh kick head
Alesis DM5
Tama iron cobra jr double pedal