Author Topic: OSX comparability for Crimson/Command/Forge module  (Read 1328 times)

OSX comparability for Crimson/Command/Forge module
« on: August 02, 2017, 06:07:30 PM »
Hello all,

Former DM5 module user here - used to trigger it from my acoustic kit back in the 90's.
I'm now thinking about the Crimson or Command to trigger Steven Slate Drums on my mac, for recording purposes only at this stage.
I'm still on OSX 10.6.8 to accommodate some mLAN drivers for an older Yamaha interface. Anyone no whether I'll have any USB midi issues between the Alesis and mac on this version?
Thanks,
Stu

Offline Chaser

Re: OSX comparability for Crimson/Command/Forge module
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:17:23 PM »
Look under the specs for each kit..

Requirements:

For USB-MIDI performance and system updates
    Mac: OS X 10.7-10.11
    PC: Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 10:32:47 PM »
Thanks Chaser.
Guess I won't be looking at the Crimson/Command option anymore...
SSD works great on OS X 10.6.8. Another option might be converting an acoustic kit, getting out the old DM5 module, and using it to transmit midi - unless I'm overlooking an obvious problem there?

Stu

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 11:35:41 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but why would USB midi not be supported in earlier versions of OSX?
Is it related to the firmware in the kit modules?

Thanks,
Stuart

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 03:52:08 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but why would USB midi not be supported in earlier versions of OSX?
Is it related to the firmware in the kit modules?

Thanks,
Stuart

Around OSX 10.7 the Core Audio Framework changed...midi is included in that...so it may or may not be able to identify usb midi device.
I am sure there is a reason Alesis didn't add 10.6.8 as supported , check with them.

I believe the Framework has also been changed a bit since then as Apple moves everything entirely to 64bit only.
All support for 32 bit is being phased out completely..
Starting with iOS 11.. 32 bit apps will no longer work on iPhones..and 32 bit iPhones can't go up from 10.3.2.

In 2018 MacOS will no longer support 32 bit apps/drivers etc etc ...and Apple will not accept ant written 32 bit architecture,developers can only use 64 bit.
https://techupdate247.wordpress.com/2017/06/08/apple-will-stop-supporting-32-bit-architecture-applications-in-the-macos-in-2018/

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 05:19:27 PM »
Thanks for the update. I've not done much recording in recent years and need to get up to speed with this stuff again.
Might be time to retire the FireWire interface and mLAN drivers...
Stu

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 08:14:07 PM »
Thanks for the update. I've not done much recording in recent years and need to get up to speed with this stuff again.
Might be time to retire the FireWire interface and mLAN drivers...
Stu
If you are not dead set on having USB Midi..The Crimson and Command modules still have 5 pin midi...
(for the most part the modules are the same ..Price difference for the kits because of different hardware.)

If there is an update for the modules you could use something else to update them ..I say if..because  Alesis chose to  release a Crimson II module with additional samples and kits..
for what amounts to $100.00 more.(the Crimson Kit II, you gain an additional 4 preset kits, 71 new sounds, and an additional 12-inch crash cymbal with a choke.)

If you are looking more towards just using for triggering a Vst or SSD(Kontakt version?) ...consider picking up a new/used DM10 kit..the module is both usb midi/5 pin midi and usb drivers have been available for OSX since.. 2010? when it was released)(OSX 10.7 Lion(64 BIT) was released in 2011..so you'd be good on the usb midi drivers)..

You can pickup a used kit for a good price..plenty of inputs..you can expand it with a TriggerIO...uses individual cables (the newer modules are leaning towards DB25 snakes)
Check Craigslist etc..Locally here DM10X mesh  kits are going for 550-600.00...and you found the perfect forum to answer any and all the questions about it.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 10:14:06 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 11:20:20 PM »
Under the 5 pin option, would the drum module connect to a USB port on my mac mini via a USB/midi cable, or to the 5 pin midi in port on my audio interface?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 11:25:53 PM »
Under the 5 pin option, would the drum module connect to a USB port on my mac mini via a USB/midi cable, or to the 5 pin midi in port on my audio interface?
5 pin...you don't need to connect the USB...Just setup the software/module your using so the midi channels match..usually channel 10

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 04:36:02 AM »
Gotcha - thanks man.
Not so many used DM10 kits kicking around in Australia from what I can see and they're still $2000 new (about US$1500). Commands are half that.
I'm using SSD4 by the way - not the Kontakt player version . I could map the Command pads and cymbals to individual samples using the midi 5 pin approach?
Never had much to do with midi...