Author Topic: Strike crash choke issues  (Read 3881 times)

Offline prentir

Strike crash choke issues
« on: June 25, 2017, 03:19:55 PM »
I have the kit together and everything is working fine except I can't get any of the crashes to choke.  I read the earlier choke threads and the strike doesn't have two plugs and I am gripping it pretty hard. Any ideas?

Does it have to be gripped in a specific place?  Is there a module setting I need to tweak?

Other than that I am really happy with the kit.
Alesis Strike Pro, DW 9000 double kick, DW 9399 Heavy Duty Snare Stand, DW 9500 Heavy Duty 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand plus 2 x DW9700 Cymbal stands and a DW 9000 Low boom Ride Cymbal Stand for expansion. Researching Jobeky 18" Crash & 20" Ride.

Online Hellfire

Re: Strike crash choke issues
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »
I have the kit together and everything is working fine except I can't get any of the crashes to choke.  I read the earlier choke threads and the strike doesn't have two plugs and I am gripping it pretty hard. Any ideas?

Does it have to be gripped in a specific place?  Is there a module setting I need to tweak?

The only other time I've heard of this was from a guy who had his cymbals mounted wrong. He had the "Alesis" logo toward him. Once he realized the logo should be away from him, they worked just fine. So I have to ask, are the logos toward you or away from you? That is really the only thing I can think of. I hope that helps.

Offline prentir

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 04:56:11 AM »
Thanks Hellfire.   I have the logos away from me.  I am guessing that I just may not be gripping them right some how. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 05:22:04 AM by prentir »
Alesis Strike Pro, DW 9000 double kick, DW 9399 Heavy Duty Snare Stand, DW 9500 Heavy Duty 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand plus 2 x DW9700 Cymbal stands and a DW 9000 Low boom Ride Cymbal Stand for expansion. Researching Jobeky 18" Crash & 20" Ride.

Offline prentir

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 05:20:26 AM »

The only other time I've heard of this was from a guy who had his cymbals mounted wrong. He had the "Alesis" logo toward him. Once he realized the logo should be away from him, they worked just fine. So I have to ask, are the logos toward you or away from you? That is really the only thing I can think of. I hope that helps.

Thanks Hellfire.

I do have the cymbals mounted correctly.  I tried a few things after your note and I have found I just can't grip the cymbal with enough force to trigger the choke.  I've had similar problems when trying the pull the trigger on a revolver.  I don't have the hand strength to pull the trigger. 

Thanks... I guess I'll just not have to choke  :(

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 09:10:12 AM »
Thanks Hellfire.

I do have the cymbals mounted correctly.  I tried a few things after your note and I have found I just can't grip the cymbal with enough force to trigger the choke.  I've had similar problems when trying the pull the trigger on a revolver.  I don't have the hand strength to pull the trigger. 

Thanks... I guess I'll just not have to choke  :(

There is always a way if you really want something. Just thinking off the top of my head here and I'm not 100% sure how well this will work.

What about setting your cymbals up on a "mute group". Then set-up one of your rim triggers on a drum to also be part of that "mute group" but set the instrument volume to 1 (for the rim instrument). Basically when you trigger that rim it will make no sound, but being part of the mute group that you set up with your cymbals, it should silence your cymbals similar to a choke function. That way you don't have to squeeze anything. Just tap another trigger to choke. ;)

Electronic drums allow for alternate ways to do things. Sometimes we just need to think a little differently about it. Don't let yourself be constrained to the traditional ways of drumming. With edrums there is always a work around.

Side note: Make sure you have a copy of the Alesis Strike User Guide. Here's the link if you don't have it: http://5a18fcdc5c8aa2617926-54d68a14e2e7c1f76563a2d8c3e9fd82.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/1550/documents/Strike%20Performance%20Drum%20Module%20-%20User%20Guide%20-%20v1.0.pdf

Page 16 describes the "Mute group" function.

Let us know if that works.

Offline prentir

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Hellfire that is pure genius. I'll have a go! 

Thanks you so much for the idea.

*** Update ***
That works just fine!  Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:36:43 PM by prentir »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 07:09:35 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D
Hellfire that is pure genius. I'll have a go! 

Thanks you so much for the idea.

*** Update ***
That works just fine!  Thank you.

Awesome! I'm glad it worked out.