Author Topic: [Solved] DM8 Pro Kit - issue with USB MIDI output  (Read 9403 times)

[Solved] DM8 Pro Kit - issue with USB MIDI output
« on: December 09, 2011, 03:13:57 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to electronic drumming. I used to own an acoustic set when I lived in Florida, but now I've moved to an apartment in Massachusetts and had to get rid of my kit. Since then I've only been using the ION Drum Rocker just playing the game Rock Band.

I just bought the Alesis DM8 Pro Kit and I've been having a lot of fun with it. The module sounds are great (much better than my old Yamaha DTXplorer), the big pads are really nice to have, and I've added 3 single-zone cymbals (from the ION) to the kit. I love playing it along my music and whatnot, but I would also like to use the module to connect the drums to Rock Band. I've already purchased the Mad Catz Rock Band 3 MIDI Pro Adapter (http://www.madcatz.com/UsersGuides/RockBand/RB3_98071_MUG.pdf), and I've read the manuals for both DM8 and MIDI Adapter, but I'm still confused about the USB MIDI output from the DM8 module.

I've tried using a usb-to-midi converter cable with a y-splitter to power the hub, but that didn't work. I'm thinking about using my computer as a MIDI-thru type of interface, but I have no idea how to do that, or if it will even work for Rock Band.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I should approach this problem?

Any feedback is very welcome.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 08:17:34 PM by MaUrEnG »
DM8 Pro Kit, Billy Blast II mesh conversion (alxmonkey's method), ION & Roadie cymbals, ProMark Mike Portnoy signature sticks, Sony MDR-XB500 headphones, Tama Speed Cobra double pedal with Tama wood beaters. Photos

Offline vaikl

Re: DM8 Pro Kit - issue with USB MIDI output
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:33:36 AM »
Welcome to the forum, MaUrEnG.

I don't have any experience with RockBand or such adaptors, but it seems that a direct connection (with or without an USB hub in the middle) won't work. The USB-to-MIDI adaptor needs power, but won't get it from the DM8. If you use a hub, then you have only MIDI-in on the DM8, not the required MIDI-out.

I think, only with a computer in the middle, the DM8 connected via USB and the RockBand adaptor connected via the USB-to-MIDI adaptor to another port *AND* some little MIDI routing software (like the free MIDI-OX) running on it, you will get what you want.

Yes, it's unhappy that the DM8 module has no real MIDI-out port :(

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:18:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum, MaUrEnG.

I don't have any experience with RockBand or such adaptors, but it seems that a direct connection (with or without an USB hub in the middle) won't work. The USB-to-MIDI adaptor needs power, but won't get it from the DM8. If you use a hub, then you have only MIDI-in on the DM8, not the required MIDI-out.

I think, only with a computer in the middle, the DM8 connected via USB and the RockBand adaptor connected via the USB-to-MIDI adaptor to another port *AND* some little MIDI routing software (like the free MIDI-OX) running on it, you will get what you want.

Yes, it's unhappy that the DM8 module has no real MIDI-out port :(

Hi vaikl, thanks for the quick response.

Yeah, it's a shame the DM8 didn't come with an actual MIDI-out port since it's such an amazing module for what it is.

So I guess I just need to learn how to use this MIDI routing software and I should be good to go. I would also like to learn how to use EZdrummer or Superior or some other type of drum sampler software (do you have a favorite one?), but that's a different topic. I'll look around the forum and see if I can find any tutorials or something to get me started.

Anyway, thanks again.
DM8 Pro Kit, Billy Blast II mesh conversion (alxmonkey's method), ION & Roadie cymbals, ProMark Mike Portnoy signature sticks, Sony MDR-XB500 headphones, Tama Speed Cobra double pedal with Tama wood beaters. Photos

Offline vaikl

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »
I would also like to learn how to use EZdrummer or Superior or some other type of drum sampler software (do you have a favorite one?), but that's a different topic. I'll look around the forum and see if I can find any tutorials or something to get me started.

I personally like BFD2, AD and Jamstix, but that's always a matter of taste. Take a look at our special Drum VST Database 1.0, maybe you'll find good infos about what you like.

There are a lot of threads in this forum section about using such software together with the DM's, so feel free to use the search function here ;)

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 08:15:28 PM »

So I got the DM8 Pro Kit working with Rock Band through MIDI-OX and the Mad Catz adapter. I just had to adjust the sensitivity for some of the triggers, but that was it. Thanks vaikl for the advice!

I'm planning on making a mesh head upgrade using alxmonkey's method in the near future, so I'll probably post some pictures when that happens (in the right section, that is).

Offline vaikl

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 08:21:37 PM »

So I got the DM8 Pro Kit working with Rock Band through MIDI-OX and the Mad Catz adapter. I just had to adjust the sensitivity for some of the triggers, but that was it. Thanks vaikl for the advice!

I'm planning on making a mesh head upgrade using alxmonkey's method in the near future, so I'll probably post some pictures when that happens (in the right section, that is).

Good to hear, looking forward for the pics ;)

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »

I am running a similar setup, trying to use MIDI-OX as my go between on a laptop, than out to the Mad Catz adapter. My problem is that for some reason my high-tom and right crash symbols are not being picked up in rockband. Everything else works fine, delays are playable etc, but without a high tom i'm not able to get everything. The right crash is just for my own fun, but I know its the same issue.

I understand that MIDI-OX has some output mapping that can be done, but I cannot figure it out for the life of me. Its showing me notes in letter form rather than their MIDI number so I've got no idea how to map them appropriately. Did you run into anything like this, and if so were you able to figure this out?

Thanks

Offline vaikl

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 04:42:30 PM »

I understand that MIDI-OX has some output mapping that can be done, but I cannot figure it out for the life of me. Its showing me notes in letter form rather than their MIDI number so I've got no idea how to map them appropriately. Did you run into anything like this, and if so were you able to figure this out?

Thanks

I don't know or own Rockband, but if there is no setup or manual which describes the MIDI note mapping for Rockband, you'll have to try for yourself which note is assigned to high tom and right crash. Just go through all possible notes on a single pad until the sounds are triggered in Rockband.

The MIDI notes that you see are like the keys on a keyboard (C, D, E, F and so on for the white keys, with different octaves numbers 1,2,3 etc.).

Offline Corvidae

Re: [Solved] DM8 Pro Kit - issue with USB MIDI output
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 04:47:46 PM »
According to the MPA's manual, here are the MIDI notes that will work for Tom 1 and the crash:

Hi-tom: 48, 50
Crash: 49, 52, 55, 57

MIDI note 48 is C2, and it goes up from there. Once you hit G#2 (56), it goes back to A3 (57).

Hopefully that will help.

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 07:56:34 PM »
I am running a similar setup, trying to use MIDI-OX as my go between on a laptop, than out to the Mad Catz adapter. My problem is that for some reason my high-tom and right crash symbols are not being picked up in rockband. Everything else works fine, delays are playable etc, but without a high tom i'm not able to get everything. The right crash is just for my own fun, but I know its the same issue.

Thanks

For me, I only had to adjust the MIDI notes on my DM8 module according to the Mad Catz adapter manual. Other than that I just watched this youtube video for setting up MIDI-OX.