Author Topic: tascam us144 mk2 white noise  (Read 2073 times)

tascam us144 mk2 white noise
« on: January 15, 2014, 01:08:01 PM »
Hi.
I am using the Tascam US144 mk2 audio interface for recording and sound output for addictive drums. Hooked up to a DM10 module and PC.
It's configured as follows;
DM10 to PC with USB / Tascam to PC with USB / Tascam line out to DM10 line in with RCA / DM10 main out to Amp with 1\4 inch audio lead.
I get really bad white noise hiss through the amp and also through headphones. The hissing is even there when using the Tascam through headphones when simply listening to music from the PC.
I swapped it around to an old m-audio fastrak that I had lying around and the hissing disappeared. Unfortunately the m-audio interface will only output sound, it has a faulty input and doesn't pick up the midi signal from the DM10 brain.
Is anyone else using Tascam US144 successfully who can help me eliminate the hissing.

Offline vaikl

Re: tascam us144 mk2 white noise
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 05:03:24 PM »
The RCA AuxIn of the DM10 isn't made for typical line-outs from audio devices, it's made for consumer grade "hot" devices like iPods or CD players. That might be the reason for your hiss. But to verify it - can you plug your Tascam directly to your amp - maybe with an 1/8 to 1/4 adapter - and check the sound?

Re: tascam us144 mk2 white noise
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 02:39:24 PM »
Oh thanks Vaikl,
I simply took the output from the Tascam phone socket ( 1/4 inch audio jack ) to the Amp input socket. I can also use headphones directly from the Amp.
Problem solved, I never thought about the RCA cable being the cause of the hissing.
Strange that the M-Audio fastrak interface never had the problem though. But, who cares, my hissing has gone.