Author Topic: Retired Old Road Dog Wanting To Reinvigorate  (Read 1657 times)

Retired Old Road Dog Wanting To Reinvigorate
« on: October 24, 2016, 11:59:07 PM »
Hello all,

I'm seriously considering taking the plunge on a set of decent e-drums. My drums have been in their cases for several years now, mostly due to being so loud.

I want a sturdy set, but without spending the cash for top of the line. Not going to play very many gigs, mostly at home. I'm leaning toward the DM10 line mostly for the two crash cymbals and it appears pretty sturdy.

Has anyone with several years experience that bought a DM10 found they regretted not getting the DM10X for the larger pads and sturdier frame (and snare stand)/?  And how about Real vs Mesh?

Advice from anyone, especially experienced rock drummers that played acoustic drums for years before getting e-drums, would be greatly appreciated.

Kent
Missoula, MT   

Offline AlanK

Re: Retired Old Road Dog Wanting To Reinvigorate
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:04:29 AM »
Hi Jimmy, welcome to the forum.

I was out of drumming for about 25 yrs so when I decided it was time to get back into it I researched what was available, the costs, how many drums / cymbals you got and then watched for sales for about a year. In the meantime I picked up a 100 dollar cheapie no name kit used to see what e-drumming was about. It had four 8" pads with crap heads, 1 crash, 1 ride and a module with 10 kits.

I converted it right away to mesh. It made it bearable but those 8" pads were so small and 1 crash isn't enough. I finally went for the DM10X when it went on sale. I'm so glad I didn't opt for the cheaper Studio or another version. The major reason I went for the X model was indeed the three 12" pads, and two 10" toms on top. Also the fact that it had the snare stand, I hated having my snare clamped onto a rod. And starting off with 2 crashes and a large ride sealed the deal.

I did convert this set from the Realheads to mesh within a couple of months, the mylar was loud, non-responsive and made my wrists and forearms sore. I don't regret my purchase one bit. The drumset looks a lot closer to an acoustic set than most others in the lineup but the cost is 1/8 of the Rolands etc that have similar layouts.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 01:47:55 PM »
It is probably worth pointing out at this point that the DM10 and DM10 X have been discontinued and replaced with the Crimson Mesh and the forthcoming (Roland law-suit permitting) Strike Zone & Strike Pro.

I was all set to buy a DM10 X this week, only to be told by the dealer and InMusic (Alesis parent company) of the above news.

If you're lucky, unlike me, you might find a dealer with a boxed system in-stock.

Good luck! :)
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 01:19:57 PM »
Thank you both for your very informative and helpful replies.

Offline splatter96

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 12:42:45 PM »
Did you pick up a set yet? Alesis has the DM10X on sale for $599 for Black Friday from November 24th to December 5th. With a PENNY shipping. FYI, if you try to order online before the 24th, it says they are out of stock, but when I called they assured me they are in stock, and just on hold.
DM10X kit, Tama Iron Cobra 600 double pedal, Roc-n-Soc Nitro throne, Shure SE315 IEMs, Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones, Simmons DA350 drum monitor, Addictive Drums 2, QuikLok LPH004 laptop stand

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 02:40:57 PM »
Hey, thanks splatter96. I did get a set off Ebay (Sweetheart Deals). A DM10X Mesh Kit for $900. It was the lowest price anywhere I could find last week. I was pretty stuck on getting the mesh head version. Didn't seem there are many left out there. I assume the one your speaking of is the RealHead version?

Offline splatter96

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 01:33:24 AM »
Yep. I would have preferred the mesh heads, but at $599.01 (a penny for shipping), I'll smack the mylar for a while until I get a mesh conversion kit. Once I get it all set up, I'll wander around the techie section of the forum to get some ideas. It sounds like Hellfire offered a mesh conversion at one time, but I can't find it on his site. The whole conversion kit from 682 is only 125 bucks plus shipping.
DM10X kit, Tama Iron Cobra 600 double pedal, Roc-n-Soc Nitro throne, Shure SE315 IEMs, Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones, Simmons DA350 drum monitor, Addictive Drums 2, QuikLok LPH004 laptop stand