Author Topic: upgrading snare/hat using Alesis I/O directly to DAW (no brain)  (Read 1039 times)

I'm looking for advice from professional drummers who have extensive experience playing both acoustic and electronic kits.

I have a studio with a fairly exhaustive MIDI set up. I'm not a drummer but I need to understand how to best accommodate professional drummers using a MIDI drum set that goes directly to VST's bypassing any drum brain. I don't need or want any sounds.

Existing kit is made up of an array of triggers of various sorts plugged into multiple Alesis I/O's attached to hardware midi routing system. I am mostly concerned about the high hat and snares since those are the two most important and essential elements of play-ability and really the only thing that anyone has ever complained about in the past.

So I want to start by upgrading my high hat and snare, bearing in mind that I do not want to have to plug into a proprietary brain of any sort (with sounds), which rules out some models.

1. Which snare pads are the most 'playable'? And by that I mean how the drum head responds to the strike physically, irregardless of the sound generated/triggered.

2. Which snares offer the best sensing that can be plugged in without proprietary hardware?

3. I recognize my Alesis I/O's are somewhat dated. However a quick Google search did not turn up much in the way of current alternatives. Any suggestions?

4. Newer snare pads have positional sensing that modifies signal based on what part of the drum head is struck. Is it correct then that the trigger consists of a continuously variable CC input in addition to the normal note on/off value?

5. Same question for the hat...

At the moment I am triggering Addictive Drums 2, BFD and/or Superior. (AD is my goto)

Thanks in advance for any input. It is greatly appreciated.