Author Topic: DM10 - 682drums or Remo Silentstroke mesh heads?  (Read 2872 times)

DM10 - 682drums or Remo Silentstroke mesh heads?
« on: May 04, 2018, 07:57:04 AM »
Hello there,
I'm planning to do the mesh heads upgrade on my DM10.
All i want to ask is....

Which do you think is simpler to install and better(feel) mesh heads for the DM10 - The Remo Silentstroke or 682drums mesh heads?

thank you for your replies.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:02:35 AM by delerio »
Demon to some... Angel to others.

Offline AlanK

Re: DM10 - 682drums or Remo Silentstroke mesh heads?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:16:17 AM »
Hi delerio, ah the age old mesh discussion.. if you do a search you'll find it's been gone over countless times here with many comments, photos of the process and followups

But in the meantime, I think it's as personal as how people feel about the pedals they use, the cymbals.. some prefer loads of bounce, some just want a look (ie single ply you can see through easily, double ply not so much.. some want black mesh, some want white).

I did a 682 conversion and it was fairly simple, maybe 10-15 minutes per shell. I ordered white because I prefer mine to look like acoustic drums.. the 682s were pretty good, haven't ever broken through one but I'm not a heavy hitter.. also tried a Remo, didn't like it, single ply.. but I've also had Roland mesh on another kit, and eventually went and replaced all my 682s with Rolands..not cheap, the 12" heads were about 65-70 bucks a pop, but they are durable and I doubt I'll ever break one. I also like the look of the mesh, maybe it's whiter than the 682s?

They havev a bit more bounce, some people don't like that. But I found my 682s make a bit more noise as they're hit compared to the Roland Vdrum mesh. Also, I have a Hart Dynamics snare which came with a Maxxim mesh head, must be triple ply, stuff is tough as nails and the best mesh I've experienced. Super super taught, yet doesn't overly bounce which is great. Hole other feel when I'm at my buddies jamming and using that snare.

Finally, I also have bought a Laurin snare drum and kick drum, and they came with black mesh.. and it has a different feel to the Rolands and 682s.. not sure I like it more.. I think I prefer the Hart's Maxxim mesh on my snare.. if I ever have to replace it I'll get another Roland 12".

If you're one who does hit hard enough to eventually go through one, then you've got the chance to try a couple brands out. I swapped my 682 heads out for the Rolands but I keep the 682s as backups in case I ever rip through anything on my kit.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:55:38 AM »
Thank you Alan!
I found your mini review very good.
I probably will go for the 682, since i've watched on youtube how the conversion is done and its price fits my pocket!

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 11:52:47 PM »
Thank you Alan!
I found your mini review very good.
I probably will go for the 682, since i've watched on youtube how the conversion is done and its price fits my pocket!

A few years ago I got the 682 mesh on my DM10X kit. They do not fit!!!  The 8" bass drum was ok, the 10" toms were tight but worked, the 12" however was a nightmare. The heads were so tight on the shells that the rims slipped over them when I tightened them up.

In response 682 sent me some thick rubber strips with a sticky side. That helped but was ugly.

I use the Remo Silent Strokes on my kit now and they fit fine.

Maybe they have changed their heads now. It was a few years ago after all. I'd suggest however just buy one 12" head and see if it fits.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »
The only problem with the try one out idea is it's coming from the Netherlands, so takes a few days and shipping charges suck, so for me I tried to order as much as possible to make it worthwhile. Also, I was so lucky I guess, with all the 682s, Remo, Roland meshes I've had, they all just plop down on the various sized pads with ease.. no troubles at all.

Hey delerio, if you lived near me I'd give you a couple to try first.. I've got spares somewhere.. I'm in Ottawa Canada.. don't recall if you mentioned where you are in any posts (and if ya did, my crappy memory would have forgotten anyhow!lol). I do recall some of the previous discussions about mesh upgrades, I think some of the people who've had issues with fit.. it was the shell dimension that was off, not the head.. but I could be wrong
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline DannyM

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 04:49:14 PM »
Hello Everyone.

Saw this topic and I wanted to mention the heads I got from Prism.
I ordedred the 3 ply RR series in white and they play fantastic in my opinion. The 2 rack toms I put them seem to trigger even better now than
the original Alesis head and I made no adjustments  to the module.

Another thing they have are wraps for the tom shells to customize. I am pasting the link below to the "Prism Customer
Gallery" where folks post how their kits look with the heads, but then go to the home page and look around.
I am  very happy with them and plan on gettin the 12 inch for my snare. I tried the Remo silent stroke heads and it was good, but once I tried these , I made the switch. The offer a few different types, but they explain it out for you according to what you are after.

https://www.prism-products.us/showcase/

Offline AlanK

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »
Very cool mesh and the various sets are incredible. I like the shell wraps too. Those Prism mesh heads remind me of the Hart Maxxim mesh I've got on one of my snares..similar look and are feel indestructible. Well done Danny, thanks for the share

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 02:37:35 PM »
Hello Everyone.

I ordedred the 3 ply RR series in white and they play fantastic in my opinion. The 2 rack toms I put them seem to trigger even better now than

Another thing they have are wraps for the tom shells to customize. I am pasting the link below to the "Prism Customer
Gallery" where folks post how their kits look with the heads, but then go to the home page and look around.
I am  very happy with them and plan on gettin the 12 inch for my snare. I tried the Remo silent stroke heads and it was good, but once I tried these , I made the switch. The offer a few different types, but they explain it out for you according to what you are after.

dammnit,
i just ordered the 682mesh heads.
Prism heads are easy to install on DM10?

Offline DannyM

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 07:46:49 PM »
Yes, they fit perfectly.
 If you have any questions, you can shoot them an email, they reply pretty quick. I have the RR 3 PLY white, I love the heads, the response and triggering are great. At least that is  my opinion. Good price it seems compared to others.

Offline orion32

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 12:53:17 PM »
Hello Everyone.

dammnit,
i just ordered the 682mesh heads.
Prism heads are easy to install on DM10?

A little late to respond but I just installed prism heads on my dm10.  I just did 3 toms and the snare.  Took no time at all and they all worked perfect.  I was concerned since the 682 set had more components other than the heads to be installed.  I was worried just the mesh along wouldn't work but after reading some other threads it seemed like the "other stuff" wasn't necessarily needed.  For me it isn't.

Then again I'm just a novice/beginner to drumming so maybe the 682 set with the cones has an advantage over a set that doesn't?  I'll probably never be able to tell the difference.
Alesis Strike Pro
A to E converted Zildjian L80 - 14" crash, 16" crash & china