Author Topic: Trigger removal/replacement  (Read 2113 times)

Offline VandalX

Trigger removal/replacement
« on: March 16, 2018, 12:48:22 AM »
Hi everyone! I am replacing the triggers on my malfunctioning DM10 MKII Pro mesh pads. I posted earlier about my travails with this new kit, and I'm currently repairing/replacing the triggers and/or wiring that isn't up to snuff.

Question #1: Is there a magic trick to get the old piezos off the plastic resonant board? I don't want to start pulling and break something else. I imagine it's attached by a sticky foam pad, but I can't tell for sure. Also, is there any reason to add a similar plastic cover on top of the trigger? For some reason, the MKII Pro pads do not have a cover over them, but others have mentioned that their models do. I figure while I'm in there I'll upgrade all the components I can at the same time.

Question #2: Has anyone else replaced the internal wiring on Alesis pads before? It seems to me that they use something akin to clay covered gossamer filament with absolutely no flexibility or longevity. Maybe I'm just lucky that way.I thought I'd replace it with a thicker gauge wire, but not so think that it won't fit into the velocity control PCB holes.

Anyway, any advice is appreciated.
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline rhysT

Re: Trigger removal/replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 05:37:24 PM »
The thin plastic resonator could be easily damaged if you attempt soldering the piezo while it's attached, so try slicing through the adhesive layer with a sharp knife like: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Box-Cutter-Utility-Knife-Snap-Off-Razor-Blade-Tool-/111361816972

You shouldn't need any extra cover layer for the sensor and mounting it inverted is a neat option to secure the wiring.

I haven't replaced my piezo wiring but I'd prob'ly try using 4 conductors of ribbon cable (with 2 spare ones for extra strength): https://protostack.com.au/shop/cables/ribbon-cable-40-conductor-1-4mm-pitch-1-meter/ 
You could possibly recycle some surplus computer cables. 

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:28:42 PM by rhysT »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 11:32:22 AM »
Great idea! I have a bunch of those old IDE hard drive cables. Friggin' pack rat here! LOL

I'm kinda looking forward to my first foray into all of this, yet I just know that it won't happen until something goes wrong - and that will likely be during a show. Another big reason I want more (and more) pads - so I can always maintain a full kit.
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 06:03:41 PM »
My 'go to' tool for getting piezo's off, or pealing the backing off double sided tape, or stripping the end of wires for soldering, is the blade from a Stanley Knife.

They look like this.

Like all razors these are stupidly sharp. So be careful. That said they are great as they have no plastic case around them and you get them where you need them.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 11:22:18 PM by Dobly »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 08:05:09 PM »
My 'go to' tool for getting piezo's off, or pealing the backing off double sided tape, or stripping the end of wires for soldering, is the blade from a Stanley Knife.

They look like this.

https://sydneytools.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/485x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/2/-/2-11-921.jpg

Like all razors these are stupidly sharp. So be careful. That said they are great as they have no plastic case around them and you get them where you need them.
Cool! I buy those by the 100 pack! My favorite way to cut stuff!

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »
Want to remove a stuck on piezo?  Easy way? Use fishing line just like you use dental floss. Wrap each end on a finger and work it like you floss your teeth. I've used this method to remove anything stuck on with adhesive and there will be no damage plus most adhesive will also be removed. For left over adhesive use goo gone.

Enjoy.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 09:39:25 AM »
Nice!

Offline Mr.J.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 12:16:54 PM »
Oh, this may come in handy as well. A little bit of heat, like a hair dryer on low setting, softens the adhesive so when you are "sawing" between the piezo and the surface softened glue rolls off as well. Less glue left over to clean up.

Do a search on youtube for this method, of course that's where I got it from  :)

Offline VandalX

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 12:32:53 AM »
Thanks to all for the great tips! Much appreciated. I'll be working through the pads as they die/degrade, so these techniques will come in handy. I'll be sure to chart my progress.
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.