Author Topic: STRIKE MODULE Triggering using External Module/TMI/Controller  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Chaser

STRIKE MODULE Triggering using External Module/TMI/Controller
« on: January 29, 2018, 07:57:15 PM »
The STRIKE Module midi channel/notes seen in "Voices" are sent out...there is no section/menu etc for receiving/setting midi notes for the trigger inputs.

I sent an email to Alesis support asking about midi in capabilities and got the "not publicly available" answer..they also posted the same answer to another in the community forum...
http://community.alesis.com/alesis/topics/using-midi-in-to-trigger-alesis-strike-module

which led me to believe you can..they didn't want to release that information.

Well..I finally had some extra time to experiment and.. .you can use an external module/TMI/controller for triggering

Tested with Alesis TriggerIO/DM Dock..Novation Keyboard

INSTRUCTIONS:
(I have tested different power up sequences..STRIKE>TriggerIO..TriggerIO>STRIKE...No specific order required)

Connect external module/TMI/controller to midi in..Power up and set midi channel to 10 on the external module/TMI/controller...
The module recognizes midi channel 10 for receiving...there is nothing else required to change in the module...just connect the midi cable.
Power up the STRIKE Module.

This works excellent for splitting triggers.No need for Y cables/extensions or trying to remember which cable is which or tip/ring  etc..
Just plug the drums/cymbals you want to add to your kit in the external module/TMI.
Set the Triggers/midi notes in the external module/TMI to match the STRIKE midi map.
You'll be able to add triggers and change your kit configuration anytime.
Trigger settings will need to be done in the External module/TMI.

The following midi map is for the STRIKE module trigger/inputs

07-HH EDGE
08-HH BOW
22-HH PEDAL
28-Crash 3 BOW
36-Kick
38-Snare HEAD
40-Snare RIM
41-Tom 4 HEAD
43-Tom 3 HEAD
47-Tom 2 HEAD
48-Crash 1 BOW
49-Crash 1 EDGE
50-Tom 1 HEAD
51-Ride BOW
53-Ride BELL
55-Crash 3 EDGE
57-Crash 2 EDGE
59-Ride EDGE
60-Crash 2 BOW
73-Tom 4 RIM
75-Tom 3 RIM
80-Tom 2 RIM
82-Tom 1 RIM

STRIKE Module:External module/TMI-Triggers
v1.3
All the parameter settings in Kit FX,Voices,Instrument changes, Note Chase... everything I have tested works .

[VOICES]Press the Level tab..set the Level to 99..then press the Velocity tab.The Velocity level/volume is opposite.. 99=low...0=MAX... Extremely loud This also works for the triggers when connected to the module.
At 0 it will be loud you won't have as much control/response (lower/slower) over all the velocity (Dynamics) parameters ..filter decay,pitch..increasing the velocity level will increase their response..somewhere between 0-50 seems to be the sweet spot for velocity loudness/volume and parameters..but consider I am also using custom/DIY Cymbals and the older Realheads/reflection plate with the mesh conversion , not the newer triggering .You may possibly notice the modules output click/pop as the trigger signal is now very hot.
Another solution for low volume is to go into and turn on/adjust the master for the compressor -20 to -30 for the threshold and raise the output slowly you'll be able to get a much louder,more responsive kit..this effects the whole kit..it makes a world of difference

[TONE]..everything works properly

[INST]...Instruments changes all work...if you did the level/Velocity changes above ..you'll notice a drastic volume drop when changing Inst..you will need to do the Level/Velocity adjustment for each Instrument when you change.

[FX]..all effects work properly

STRIKE Module:External module/TMI-Hi Hat
v1.3 (Auto Hi Hat)

TriggerIO/STRIKE Hi Hat
Using the TriggerIO for Hi Hat and Pedal input and the Level/Velocity changes as above,after about 1/2-1 hour figuring out how to coordinate the settings in the TriggerIO and the STRIKE Module the STRIKE Hi Hat functions extremely well..Bow..Edge...Bark...Chick..Splash....all work properly.
Definitely an improvement for the Edge zone
I have spent countless hours in the STRIKE module and could never get it dialed in this way..not even close.I can now use the Linear velocity curve. 
It is now extremely sensitive..Bow/Edge zones can now be triggered with your finger tips.. ..you can actually play it.
It wouldn't take much more time to dial it completely..but I am testing functionality.

TriggerIO/STRIKE Hi Hat using RealHat controller
Worked instantly..RealHat pedal is extremely pressure sensitive ,Bow..Edge...Bark...Chick..all work properly.....NO Splash....
probably just settings may respond better in v1.2
more testing needed

DM Dock/STRIKE Hi Hat
The DM Dock doesn't like the STRIKE Hi Hat at all and no way to calibrate the pedal.The response is similar to the STRIKE Module....intermittent hits..problems with the Edge..have to whack it..
It's advantage is more inputs.. 12 TRS vs 10 TRS on the TriggerIO
may respond better in v1.2
more testing needed

So far... triggering the STRIKE Hi Hat by midi with the TriggerIO actually seems better than the STRIKE Module.

DM Dock/VH-12 Hi Hat
Responds but no way to calibrate...more testing

TriggerIO/VH-12 Hi Hat
The trigger IO calibrated and it seems to work well so far...need to spend some time with the STRIKE module with the VH-12 controller to see if it needs an inline or variable resistor to work properly.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 09:34:59 PM by Chaser »

Offline rhysT

Re: STRIKE MODULE Triggering using External Module/TMI/Controller
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 12:04:32 AM »
Well done Chaser with your thorough investigating and info sharing (as usual).

Alesis should take notice of the interaction between Slate developer (Mr Boo) and experienced drummers on the Vdrums forum to continually improve the innovative Mimic Pro ...... just kidding, their "not publicly available" attitude ain't likely to change anytime soon!  8)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:55:12 AM by rhysT »

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2022, 04:11:07 PM »
Hi.  I just got an edrumin and am hoping for better HH control than what the strike gives natively.  Has anybody had any luck with this combo (edrumin/strike)?  Could anyone offer any help?

I've tried using the strike controller, which the edrumin seems to really not like, and also the Roland VH11 controller.  I can get the edrumin set up with the pedal, but I can't figure out how to get the proper midi messages to the strike (everything is full open).

Thanks

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 04:21:52 PM »
I use an edrumin with the Strike Pro, works great.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 06:31:43 PM »
That is great to hear!  Can you share your midi settings for the hihat please?  Do you need to change anything in the module?  Do you use the strike controller?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 07:10:07 PM »
I had an eDRUMin 10 but loaned it out during the Pandemic/Lockdown and eventually had him purchase it thinking I would just order one to replace it...mistake on my part as because of the chip shortage etc..Aug 2023 is the next due date.I may get an eDRUMin 4 since some are due in Oct 2022.
At the time I was working on using an Optical Hi Hat I developed..Using the Hall effect sensor setup to power it (Expression Pedal setting/ receive 3.3 volt)...but I never got to finish.
The VH11 is optical..the STRIKE Controller is FSR so you would use the VH12 settings...the VH12 range is very short compared to the STRIKE.

Since this topic has interest after 4 years.I will update the MIDI Map.

MIDI Output and MIDI input notes are the same note with the exception the Input Channel is Global and can be changed under Utility.. MIDI Output Channels are assigned/changed Individually.
I haven't checked to see if the STRIKE module interprets incoming MIDI notes for Cymbal Choke.
Alesis would never release/send a MIDI Implementation Chart so I don't know if after touch is recognized either.

STRIKE MIDI MAP Default Input Notes (Numerical Order)
Receive:MIDI Channel Global CH 1-16

STRIKE MIDI MAP default Output Notes (Numerical Order)
Transmit:Default MIDI Channel 01..Individually assignable (1-16) under VOICES 

The 2nd Kick can be assigned whichever MIDI Note you want..I recommend 35 as it is the GM Standard for Acoustic..37 is sidestick.

*Alesis STRIKE DOUBLE BASS/DUAL KICK Activation/ Physical Setup

**MIDI notes can be turned off for the Hi Hat(send CC#4 only)..Hi Hat Splash and Cymbal Choke.

EDIT:

Added Updated MIDI CHART
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 01:57:27 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 02:32:13 AM »
thanks.

i hurried and gave a quick test and it seems to work with these settings, which is weird because i didnt change anything in the module or edrumin.  unfortunately i only had about 10 minutes and i wont be near my kit for another month to do more tests.

hopefully my module was just tired and needed a nap.

also, i didnt know we could change kits with midi.  ill need to get that set up with a footswitch!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 09:50:29 AM »
thanks.

i hurried and gave a quick test and it seems to work with these settings, which is weird because i didnt change anything in the module or edrumin.  unfortunately i only had about 10 minutes and i wont be near my kit for another month to do more tests.

hopefully my module was just tired and needed a nap.

If you are away from the module/kit for an extended period of time..make sure it is unplugged as there is a chance of the main board failure..

also, i didnt know we could change kits with midi.  ill need to get that set up with a footswitch!

The STRIKE module also accepts Patch Changes....you can change/select a kit..
I ran across it during compiling a standalone Multiplatform MIDI player that sends MIDI directly to hardware and as you change songs..it changes kits..
I can also do Patch Change with the Program Change feature with a Trigger I/O.

EDIT:
Attached MIDIOX image..3 kit changes during verse/MIDI playback through module...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 06:06:52 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 03:12:57 PM »
I wasn't aware of the main board failure.  Thankfully I always turn off the surge protector when I turn off the kit.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2022, 12:14:32 AM »
Just an update here.

I was having major issues with the midi triggering (only playing roughly 1 midi message per second).  I did a factory reset on the Strike and the edrumin and everything works perfectly now.

My hardware is
2x 10" strike tom
2x 12" strike ton
1x 14"strike snare
2x Lemon 15" crash/ride cymbals used as crashes
1x Lemon 18" ride
1x strike 16" ride used as crash 3
1x Lemon 12" 2 piece hihat
1x Roland cy8 used as second hihat (I trigger the same midi notes as the first hihat, this was I can have one on the right side of the kit and another on the left)

The strike module was triggering all of this perfectly, but didn't like my drop clutch, so I trigger the hihats with the edrumin.  I also trigger the snare for snare head/xstrick/rimshot (I use bass drum 2 for the timshot sound), and the cy8 with the edrumin.

I've never been happier with the kit.  Thanks so much for all of the info here!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 12:50:37 AM by thebigz »