Author Topic: New Dm10 MarkII Pro Kit  (Read 8844 times)

Offline ChrisK

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:54:47 AM by ChrisK »

Offline Pier

Re: New Dm10 MarkII Pro Kit
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 06:18:44 AM »
Looks veeeery interesting...  :P

Offline rhysT

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 07:56:34 AM »
Online now

http://www.alesis.com/products/view/dm10-mkii-pro-kit

This kit's hardware should combine well with a Mimic Pro or Strike module (or SSD-5) to provide a very useful combo.

If Alesis continue with the DM10 Mk-II Studio kit, maybe the Crimson or Command kit/s could be retired with the DM10/X Mk-I models.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:53:22 PM by rhysT »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:53:01 AM »
It's cool, but a little confusing. We already have the DM10 MKII Studio (which is a Crimson module) and now we have the DM10 MKII Pro with what appears to be a totally new module. So, now we have three different DM10 modules floating about?

That aside, I do like that look of the new module (I wish they would have called it something else) The naming is starting to feel like Apple calling all it's OS's TEN.

I'm wondering if this is a striped down Strike module or if it's some other platform. It doesn't look like any medeli module I've seen. If it's based off the Sampler rack it looks to have more functionality than that as well. Again, with no proper manual it's hard to see what this thing is truly capable of.

Did anyone else notice the line from Alesis that states: "Download Your Favorite Voices to the DM10 MKII Pro Drum Module"?

I don't like that Alesis isn't putting up proper manuals of their module anymore. Even the Strike manual is lacking. They have really taken the idea of "best to say as little as possible" with most of their new products.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:54:35 AM by Hellfire »

Offline ChrisK

« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:23:02 AM by ChrisK »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
To me it sound a rebranded Crimson module, when you download the PDF it sound similar.

http://www.kraftmusic.com/alesis-dm10-mkii-pro-kit-bonus-pak.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=ale-dm10mkiiprobp&gclid=Cj0KEQjwmcTJBRCYirao6oWPyMsBEiQA9hQPbhW1PeETQFgTR0WnKr8h3P-rZmKGW1mHaFd5erwDaS0aAgBZ8P8HAQ

I don't think so. The easiest way to tell is to look at the physical buttons and knobs on the module. Rebrands always have the same buttons and knobs however they might be in slightly different locations. I'm not seeing any off the shelf module that has the same exact functions as this module. This might be an actual Alesis design. I'm not 100% sure, but right I would have to say it is all Alesis (module wise).

Added:
After looking at it again, you might be right ChrisK. It might just be a rebrand of the Crimson module. It's hard to tell, but it does have the same ins and outs. The question is, if it is a rebrand of the Crimson module, why make it look different now?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:51:40 AM by Hellfire »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
I have to say, I don't think I like how Alesis physically prints descriptions on the modules these days:

- Crimson "Advanced Drum Module"
- DM10 MKII Pro "Premium Drum Module"

It seemed cool back on the original DM10 (MKI for those that need it stated that way) when it stated:

"High Definition Drum Module with Dynamic Articulation"

It use to sound like they were really telling you something. Now, it just sounds like they are slapping something on it to make to look professional.

I know it isn't a big deal, but it just seems a little cheaper to me today then it did back on the original DM10.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 12:46:41 PM »
BTW, I would assume the module has a DB25 connector on the bottom for trigger inputs.

Offline Pier

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »
BTW, I would assume the module has a DB25 connector on the bottom for trigger inputs.

Yep, even to me. But looks like the fourth tom and the second crash must be plugged in the rear with two separate cables. Both TRS (chockable 2nd crash)? We'll see.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 09:15:23 AM »
I think the DM10 MKII Pro Kit is growing on me. Still not sure if it is just a rebranded Crimson, but I do like the physical layout of the new module better then the Crimson. Here's a quick comparison of the DM10 MKII Pro module vs. DM10 MK II Studio Module vs. Crimson module:

DM10 MKII Pro Module:

• Kits 80 (50 preset + 30 user)
• Over 700 sounds/voices
• Sequencer 100 preset patterns
• Load .WAV or .MP3 samples and play-along tracks via USB memory stick
• Real-time recording / Aux in / Metronome
• USB/MIDI output for use with virtual instrument and recording software

DM10 MKII Studio Module (looks like Crimson):

• Kits 74 (54 preset + 20 user)
• 671 sounds/voices
• 120 preset songs + 5 users songs.

Crimson Module:

• Kits 70 (50 preset + 20 user)
• Over 600 sounds/voices
• 60 play-along tracks built-in.

One other thing to point out. The DM10 MKII Pro comes maxed out as far as pieces of the kit. So it is a larger kit physically than the Crimson/Forge/Command/DM10 MKII Studio Kits.

Assuming the DM10 MKII Pro module is based on the Crimson module I have the feeling that this is Alesis attempt at taking a base module (like the Crimson) and heavily modifying it (i.e. software, sounds, and functions) to make it truly a new module. I say this because those function button on the MKII Pro do not exist on the other Crimson like modules. That is a big deal. That would mean Alesis had to total reprogram the base module hardware to do different things. Meaning it is not just some off the shelf rebrand.

If someone can't afford the Strike Pro kit and wants the same number of pieces for a kit with a good sounding module, this looks to be the next best thing.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:44:31 PM by Hellfire »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »
If someone can't afford the Strike Pro kit and wants the same number to of piece for a kit with a good sounding module, this looks to be the next best thing.

1300$ is too much close to 1700$ for Strike kit, I don't think DM10 could have real benefit and advantage at this price range compare to Strike kit.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:48:46 AM by ChrisK »

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 12:39:10 PM »
1300$ is too much close to 1700$ for Strike kit, I don't think DM10 could have real benefit and advantage at this price range compare to Strike kit.

I agree to a point.  You are gaining a larger set for $400 less. It would come down to how good the module ends up being.  I was hoping to get a Strike "Zone", but I am bummed it only has two cymbals that come with it.  I am intrigued at the Mk II pro, but now I am losing the hihat.  I think the Mk II pro with a moveable hi hat would be a great kit for less money for someone who just wants a kit to practice/play on at home.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »
If someone can't afford the Strike Pro kit and wants the same number to of piece for a kit with a good sounding module, this looks to be the next best thing.

The price you quoted isn't for the same number of pieces. The part of the quote you copied even states:

If someone can't afford the Strike Pro kit and wants the same number to of piece for a kit...

I was referring to the full configuration. Meaning I was comparing the Strike Pro kit which is has the same number of pieces as the DM10 MKII Pro Set. If you compare based on what I clearly stated, your comparison looks more like this:

Strike Pro Kit = $2,299.00

vs.

DM10 MKII Pro Set = $1,300.00

I'd say that is a big difference in price.

Of course there is a typo in my sentence. It should state "number of pieces" and not "number to of piece". However I think most would get what I'm saying.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:46:05 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Pier

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
My personal point of view: I see this new kit as a "DM10X Kit Mesh" with a different (and newer) drum brain.
That is, EXACTLY what I was looking for!  :)

A short explanation: I live in Italy, so I sincerely hope that this kit will be up for sale soon over here; in the meantime I own and play a first series DM10 Studio kit that I converted to mesh heads. Since I use the kit just in my home to study and have fun with, it's just right for my needs: no noise for neighbours, fantastic drum brain, right price (bought in 2010).
When I wanted to upgrade to larger pads and cymbals some months ago... the DM10X mesh kit vanished from shops! In fact they sell other models, but the one closer to my tastes was the Crimson -- yet, it lacked a tom and a cymbal (both TRS).

Now, considering that I'd really like the Strike Pro but I cannot spend 2500 Euros for a drumset to keep in a garage, I consider the DM10 MKII PRO as THE alternative!
I wouldn't part with the DM10 brain -- and even I could use it in conjunction to expand (waaaay better than a Trigger IO...). But the new drum module (MKII) with its usb voice loading feature, really intrigues me.

Now the panorama shows again some great choices for all pockets: Strike Pro for professionals and serious guys, DM10 MKII Pro for occasional live players, students, budget oriented fellas.
In any case, ALL great drumsets with a lot of great features!

Just my opinion, btw

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2017, 11:13:45 PM »

I agree to a point.  You are gaining a larger set for $400 less. It would come down to how good the module ends up being.  I was hoping to get a Strike "Zone", but I am bummed it only has two cymbals that come with it.  I am intrigued at the Mk II pro, but now I am losing the hi-hat.  I think the Mk II pro with a moveable hi hat would be a great kit for less money for someone who just wants a kit to practice/play on at home.

Yes but the Module is the foundation of a kit, sound and feature, all pad mesh, you can upgrade next years or later in 2 years etc... if you buy the DM10, you are done and locked for many years, unless you sell it again later, this is the 400$ difference, openness, and you can upgrade later when you can, used, new from strike kit or crimson kit parts etc. but at the end it's up to you, when I made a purchase I always look at long term why? same sound  on a module get outdated\boring after a while, at least some kind of openness\ expandability save these limitation.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:36:24 PM by ChrisK »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 12:33:17 AM »
For potential TD-25 buyers who also want to use VST software like SSD-5, the DM10 Mk-II Pro kit should be a 'no-brainer'.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 08:52:53 AM »

I agree to a point.  You are gaining a larger set for $400 less. It would come down to how good the module ends up being.  I was hoping to get a Strike "Zone", but I am bummed it only has two cymbals that come with it.  I am intrigued at the Mk II pro, but now I am losing the hi-hat.  I think the Mk II pro with a moveable hi hat would be a great kit for less money for someone who just wants a kit to practice/play on at home.

Yes but the Module is the foundation of a kit, sound and feature, all pad mesh, you can upgrade next years or later in 2 years etc... if you buy the DM10, you are done and locked for many years, unless you sell it again later, this is the 400$ difference, openness, and you can upgrade later when you can, used, new from strike kit or crimson kit parts etc. but at the end it's up to you, when I made a purchase I always look at long term why? same sound  on a module get outdated\boring after a while, at least some kind of openness\ expandability save these limitation.

Again, if you are comparing the number of pieces in the kit, it's more than $400.00. It's more like $1000.00.

And both kits at that point are maxed out as far as pieces go. So the $1000.00 difference is in the module. We don't know yet what the DM10 MKII Pro is fully capable of, but we do know you gain 8 audio outputs with the Strike for the $1000.00 difference. You also gain the ability to add more multi layered instruments in the Strike assuming they release the software app for the $1000.00 difference.

To be totally honest, until Alesis releases the software app for the Strike the only real difference right now is the 8 audio outputs, dual zone hi-hat on a stand and a color screen. Yes you can make the argument/assumption that the Strike's kits sound better, but we really don't know until we hear the DM10 MKII Pro in action to be sure.

Offline prentir

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 12:57:36 AM »
As we are in the realm of guessing... I would offer the thought that the DM10 MKII Pro is actually a cut down Strike motherboard in a new chassis.  Losing the triggers enables the reduction in slider pots and it seems to me to be a goo way to recover cost utilizing an existing investment in the strike... which is totally targeted at Roland's sweet spot.

This enables Alesis to utilize the MKII PRO as the successor to the DM10 X Mesh while offering the  re-brand (Forge, Crimson, and Command) aka DM10 MKII Studio to become the low end offering. I am sure the Forge, Crimson and Command will have a short life depending upon the amount of stock Alesis has of the old parts e.g. Mylar toms etc.

Alesis do not appear to be good at creating an architecture for their equipment that enables cost effective growth.  Microsoft made that mistake when they launched the Surface RT that did not support common PC Windows software and the market smacked them for it.  Alesis seem to do the same thing launching modules that may not have an upgrade path.  When you are talking $500 - $700 that's ok you can get away with ... throw the old away and buy a new one.  When you start to get to the $1,500 - $3000 perhaps you need to re-think that.

Just my 5 cents....

Interesting to see how it pans out :)
Alesis Strike Pro, DW 9000 double kick, DW 9399 Heavy Duty Snare Stand, DW 9500 Heavy Duty 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand plus 2 x DW9700 Cymbal stands and a DW 9000 Low boom Ride Cymbal Stand for expansion. Researching Jobeky 18" Crash & 20" Ride.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 03:09:01 AM »
Maybe they will use the sound from Strike with less layers or same and base editing, could be possibility, there should be cut somewhere for that price, the imports voice sound 1 shots sample imports to me.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2017, 10:44:12 AM »
As we are in the realm of guessing... I would offer the thought that the DM10 MKII Pro is actually a cut down Strike motherboard in a new chassis.  Losing the triggers enables the reduction in slider pots and it seems to me to be a goo way to recover cost utilizing an existing investment in the strike... which is totally targeted at Roland's sweet spot.

This enables Alesis to utilize the MKII PRO as the successor to the DM10 X Mesh while offering the  re-brand (Forge, Crimson, and Command) aka DM10 MKII Studio to become the low end offering. I am sure the Forge, Crimson and Command will have a short life depending upon the amount of stock Alesis has of the old parts e.g. Mylar toms etc.

Alesis do not appear to be good at creating an architecture for their equipment that enables cost effective growth.  Microsoft made that mistake when they launched the Surface RT that did not support common PC Windows software and the market smacked them for it.  Alesis seem to do the same thing launching modules that may not have an upgrade path.  When you are talking $500 - $700 that's ok you can get away with ... throw the old away and buy a new one.  When you start to get to the $1,500 - $3000 perhaps you need to re-think that.

Just my 5 cents....

Interesting to see how it pans out :)

That is surly a possibility and not out of the range of Alesis.

This was done with the original DM10. The cut down version of the DM10 was the DM8. Both have the same hardware but the DM8 lacked the sliders and Alesis replaced the DM10's individual trigger inputs with a DB25 multi connector. Couple other minor differences as well. All in all the DM8 was just a watered down DM10.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 10:06:51 PM »
As we are in the realm of guessing... I would offer the thought that the DM10 MKII Pro is actually a cut down Strike motherboard in a new chassis.  Losing the triggers enables the reduction in slider pots and it seems to me to be a good way to recover cost utilizing an existing investment in the strike... which is totally targeted at Roland's sweet spot.

This was done with the original DM10. The cut down version of the DM10 was the DM8. Both have the same hardware but the DM8 lacked the sliders and Alesis replaced the DM10's individual trigger inputs with a DB25 multi connector. Couple other minor differences as well. All in all the DM8 was just a watered down DM10.

Btw, the original Strike module on display at NAMM-16 showed a Song function/button which may have been transferred to the DM10 Mk-II Pro module and its lower left buttons seem to be unresolved.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:17:53 AM by rhysT »

Offline Pier

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 07:22:39 AM »
Another thing that I gladly noticed on the new DM10 MKII module is, AT LAST, the "aux in volume" knob!
In the past modules you depended on your auxiliary source volume settings to hear a good mix, and sometimes that was annoying, expecially when a "full-blast" mp3 roared out on the headphones...!  ;D

Personally, I've got great expectations from this module

Offline rhysT

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 07:00:10 PM »
Maybe it's just a 'coincidence' that panel controls on the DM10 Mk-II Pro are similar to a DTX 700 module (without the faders).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 07:08:18 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 07:03:59 PM »
Sorry, but I'm just not seeing it.

Offline prentir

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »
Maybe it's just a 'coincidence' that panel controls on the DM10 Mk-II Pro are similar to a DTX 700 module (without the faders).

ROTFL!

rhysT with leaps like that you may want try out for the olympics...  ;D  Seriously though I don't see very much similarity. I gotta go with 370lbgorilla on this one.
Alesis Strike Pro, DW 9000 double kick, DW 9399 Heavy Duty Snare Stand, DW 9500 Heavy Duty 2-leg Hi-Hat Stand plus 2 x DW9700 Cymbal stands and a DW 9000 Low boom Ride Cymbal Stand for expansion. Researching Jobeky 18" Crash & 20" Ride.