Author Topic: Use to be so simple  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Dobly

Use to be so simple
« on: January 18, 2017, 05:35:02 AM »
There was a time when drumming was simple. Just rock up to the gig and the biggest problem was what side to put your beer on. Floor left or floor right?

These days...

That shot is from band practice last night. The small laptop at the bottom is running Reaper and is charged with running the backing tracks and will be running the DMX light show.

The 'cleverly mounted on the top of an spare snare drum stand' laptop at the top is running Addictive Drums 2 and it is from there I am getting my drum sounds.  Latency is at 2ms and cannot be distinguished. It is perfect.

The sounds are amazing. There is even a sound when you choke your cymbal. Just that little sound you get on a real cymbal when you choke it. Why can 3rd party drum software do this but the DM10 itself cannot? (Rhetorical question)

Only thing that would get me back to module sounds now would be a new module. Pearl Mimic or the Alesis Strike if it is worthy. Till then I am more happy than ever with the sounds of my  kit. My band hits the stage next week and I am ready with the sounds I am getting from AD2.

Offline Failed Muso

Re: Use to be so simple
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 07:14:20 AM »
Looks very similar to my kit!

Like you, my sounds are all software-based (Superior Drummer - Avatar + Custom & Vintage) and I have a Crimson and DM10 module for triggers. Only the one laptop though (so far!) which I'm currently rebuilding to squeeze out every last drop of performance for live work. I've currently got the laptop on a plastic riser that sits on my Trace Elliot amp with my Focusrite Scarlett interface underneath. Ideally, I want a rack case to put everything in, including the laptop on a sliding tray. My mixer is still sat on the floor :(

I've got a band practice this weekend so will try and take some pics :)
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 07:20:40 AM »
I could probably use just one laptop. One of is for the drum sounds, the other has Reaper installed which is playing our backing tracks. When I get around to it I'd like to have it such that if either dies, the other can take over both tasks.

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 07:26:28 AM »
I could probably use just one laptop. One of is for the drum sounds, the other has Reaper installed which is playing our backing tracks. When I get around to it I'd like to have it such that if either dies, the other can take over both tasks.

Yes, good to have a degree of redundancy in there. Right now, I have a couple of kits programmed in the various hardware modules that could stand in if things went belly up. This is why I'm hoping the Mimic and Strike boxes are good and affordable too ;)

I am seriously considering getting a Macbook just for the drums though. All my other computers are Mac's so it would make my life a lot easier. But, as always, it's all about the Benjamin's ;)
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Offline rhysT

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »
There was a time when drumming was simple. Just rock up to the gig and the biggest problem was what side to put your beer on. Floor left or floor right?

Yeah Dobly, how cool would it be to play acoustic drums with a floor tom like this one:
https://s14-eu5.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F9b%2F3c%2F85%2F9b3c856511bc4a23f4fd6fe607d7e75b.jpg&sp=c403f7539866e2378be553b8ba7485f6

Or to be more relevant, why not have some enhanced kits in your DM10 module as a backup?
At least the newer modules should allow decent sounding kits to saved and shared individually.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:19:16 AM by rhysT »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:36:56 AM »
rhysT, that's an awesome beerfridge tom tom!

Dobly, wow, what a setup, looks amazing!

I do like how you've got the one computer for AD2 (I'm using it too) and the recording and lighting on another.
I've run AD2 as well as Ableton Live recording without a problem twice randomly I've had my laptop blue screen while going nuts in Addictive playing away for an hour straight.. not sure if it got overwhelmed and crashed, or I had latency a bit too low and my system overbuffered (underbuffered?).. wouldn't want that happening live for sure so I think you're smart to use two computers
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dobly

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 06:14:22 PM »

Yeah Dobly, how cool would it be to play acoustic drums with a floor tom like this one:
https://s14-eu5.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F9b%2F3c%2F85%2F9b3c856511bc4a23f4fd6fe607d7e75b.jpg&sp=c403f7539866e2378be553b8ba7485f6

Or to be more relevant, why not have some enhanced kits in your DM10 module as a backup?
At least the newer modules should allow decent sounding kits to saved and shared individually.

I love that floor tom.. :) That would have solved all my issues.

You are right. I should setup the the DM10 with a back up kit or two. I will most likely install your backup rhysT and start from there. Right now however it is exactly 1 week before my bands first show. My focus will be on creating and saving kits in AD2 and making sure I know 45+ songs.

AlanK

Both laptops are running Windows 10 and thus far have been stable and updated regularly. One is a Dell E5400 (running AD2) has 8gb or ram the other an older Dell 2100 10" (running Reaper and the DMX controller). Has just 2gb or ram but those requirements on it are minor. Both have SSDs install.  Swapping kits on the E5400 takes under 2 seconds tops.

Dell do good laptops. At least that is the theory. ;)

That said they have not really been put to the test. Next week we are playing 4 sets. 40 minutes or so each. My first live gig in close to a decade. Excited much? You bet.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 04:02:26 AM »

You are right. I should setup the DM10 with a back up kit or two. I will most likely install your backup rhysT and start from there. Right now however it is exactly 1 week before my bands first show. My focus will be on creating and saving kits in AD2 and making sure I know 45+ songs.

I've been trying to simplify my DM10 rig setup to mainly integrate it with a VST-based module like Mimic Pro.
I'm currently fine-tuning my kits to blend better with the Accomp sequences and should have them improved soon after NAMM excitement calms down and we wait for the new gear to be available.

Btw, hope your gig goes to plan.

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 03:36:04 AM »
Hey dolby are you willing to give ad2 setup lessons I have only plugged it in and play and I know that it can sound much better

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 11:29:03 PM »
The small laptop at the bottom is running Reaper and is charged with running the backing tracks and will be running the DMX light show.
The 'cleverly mounted on the top of an spare snare drum stand' laptop at the top is running Addictive Drums 2 and it is from there I am getting my drum sounds.  Latency is at 2ms and cannot be

Lots of stuff on that pic, nice setup. I remember now you message me in pv for information for sample rack at that time, look like you use it with your kits.

Mimic could do almost all things, now mimic have individual routing: for wav song, click track and metronome, to phone,  stereo out or any individual out assignment for each.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:32:20 PM by ChrisK »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 11:48:57 PM »
Hey dolby are you willing to give ad2 setup lessons I have only plugged it in and play and I know that it can sound much better

I'm not sure I'm qualified to give lessons in AD2. What I have done (for my band) is listen to the song we are covering, listen to drum sound in that song and then look through AD2 for a sound that in the same ballpark. Not exact, just a sound of a similar type. For example the snare drum in an AC/DC song will be different to a soft rock song.

There are no shortages of tutorials on YouTube for AD2 from dudes who know more about it than me...

This one is the first a 7 video series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt2K-qvYCK8

Offline Dobly

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 12:11:04 AM »

Lots of stuff on that pic, nice setup. I remember now you message me in pv for information for sample rack at that time, look like you use it with your kits.

There are only a few songs were I use the Sample Rack. I've not really done much with it. We do Power and Passion some times and I have some nice 80s Simmons drum sounds in there for example.

Mimic could do almost all things, now mimic have individual routing: for wav song, click track and metronome, to phone,  stereo out or any individual out assignment for each.

I'd love to get the Mimic when it comes out.  I could do without the Sample Rack and maybe even Addictive Drums 2.