Author Topic: Alesis Sample Rack --Two needed features-  (Read 43161 times)

Offline rhysT

Re: Alesis Sample Rack --Two needed features-
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2015, 08:20:52 AM »
There's an interesting note in the Editing Layer Parameters section of the SampleRack & Pad Pro User guides:

To adjust the MIDI note sent by the Trigger Location:
1. Strike a trigger.
2. Move the cursor to the MIDI area by pressing the Cursor Up or Cursor Down button.
3. Then press the Cursor Left or Cursor Right button to adjust the MIDI note number. [00-127]
Note: The MIDI note does not have an effect on the internal sound.

Can someone check if the SampleRack/Pad Pro sounds assigned to the trigger inputs/pads can be controlled via midi from a drum module or keyboard.
The Akai MPX16 uses common pad midi note settings to trigger external devices and have its own pad samples triggered.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:33:32 PM by rhysT »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2015, 02:08:17 PM »
However it could be frustrating having to setup velocity switching to prevent them both sounding together, such as SNR A/Head (000-125) & Snr B/Rim (126-127).
So the SampleRack will prob'ly be too limited if each trigger input can only be 'split' by velocity switching their A & B layers.

I don't see limitation here, you just set the A like 000-110 and B 111-127 or depend how you are playing, what it does is only limiting the velocity not silence sound on both layers like A above 110 on A and B below 111 on B, it will sound always, anyway rim shot are a bit hard hit, still depend on what use you are doing with Sample rack.

Also, Using one zone pad on Sample Rack, would probably have velocity switch sound like Sample pad Pro have only 8 surface, it will do the same thing, you should have A and B on single zone, same as Sample Pad Pro.

This is from Sample Rack owner: Samples on layer A and B are set to the same velocity it will play both samples at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:13:30 PM by ChrisK »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
Can someone check if the SampleRack/Pad Pro sounds assigned to the trigger inputs/pads can be controlled via midi from a drum module or keyboard.
The Akai MPX16 uses common pad midi note settings to trigger external devices and have its own pad samples triggered.

In theories from All midi keyboard and drum machine,module, I have tried, it should works easily, with the Midi IN and OUT, Sample Rack can be controlled from external device or Sample rack can control another Device, this is what it does Midi In or Out

-Sample Rack using OUT and In from another Module\Device, Sample Rack is only playing sound from the external Device or both at the same time if Sample Rack volume is ON.
-Sample Rack Using IN and the External Device is Out, The External Device is controlling and Using Sample Rack sound.

Midi IN: is the Source of the Sound
Midi OUT: is the controller device

Offline rhysT

« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »
In theories from All midi keyboard and drum machine,module, I have tried, it should works easily, with the Midi IN and OUT, Sample Rack can be controlled from external device or Sample rack can control another Device, this is what it does Midi In or Out ..................
Yeah Midi In & Out SHOULD work normally in the SampleRack (& Pad Pro), but I'm just querying why this: "Note: The MIDI note does not have an effect on the internal sound" was included in the User guide/s? I assume the Midi In/Receive note settings would be the same as Midi Out/Send notes, similar to how it's set up in the MPX16 - as stated in the U/G (p11): Filter/MIDI > D: MIDI Note - The MIDI note sent and received by the pad (000-127).

I'm just flagging a possible issue with both the SampleRack & Pad Pro, as their User guides are a bit light on useful Midi (and other) details. Maybe I'm a bit too skeptical due to the MPX16's apparent limitations.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:35:24 PM by rhysT »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #154 on: March 03, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »
I'm just querying why this: "Note: The MIDI note does not have an effect on the internal sound"

Probably they talked about the sound don't change when changing the midi notes. but it is not very well explained..
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:33:33 PM by ChrisK »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #155 on: March 03, 2015, 05:26:20 PM »
Or, better said, they could mean "This single sound doesn't change in pitch when using a higher or lower MIDI note" to make clear that MIDI "notes" only represent a value, not a real note. But yes, that's a very unclear description.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #156 on: March 03, 2015, 05:50:57 PM »
Imo, the included note mainly relates to no option for setting Midi notes received (in the U/G Editing Layer Parameters section):

1. Strike a trigger.
2. Move the cursor to the MIDI area by pressing the Cursor Up or Cursor Down button.
3. Then press the Cursor Left or Cursor Right button to adjust the MIDI note number. [00-127]

If the SampleRack is intended to be a Trigger I/O Ver 2 (with samples included) then it makes some sense that only the Midi Out is functional (at this stage). Maybe Alesis is leaving their options open to 'activate' Midi In later, but I hope I'm wrong with that hunch.
Fyi - it's prob'ly just coincidental that a recent firmware update for the Akai MPX16 changed the Midi In from Omni to Channel 1.

Btw, I posted a similar query on the Alesis forum to try getting an official response to it, so maybe they'll clarify the confusion.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:31:31 PM by rhysT »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2015, 01:49:15 AM »
Imo, the included note mainly relates to no option for setting Midi notes received (in the U/G Editing Layer Parameters section):

1. Strike a trigger.

If the SampleRack is intended to be a Trigger I/O Ver 2 (with samples included) then it makes some sense that only the Midi Out is functional (at this stage). Maybe Alesis is leaving their options open to 'activate' Midi In later, but I hope I'm wrong with that hunch.
Fyi - it's prob'ly just coincidental that a recent firmware update for the Akai MPX16 changed the Midi In from Omni to Channel 1.

Btw, I posted a similar query on the Alesis forum to try getting an official response to it, so maybe they'll clarify the confusion.

The confirmation that it works is wbdrumz in this thread with his Zendrum pluged in the Sample Rack, MIDI  OUT to IN.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2015, 08:16:50 AM »
........ I also discovered that MIDI program change and receive doesn't work until you run the firmware update.

That's some interesting info I missed, which suggests Alesis have changed their plans regarding midi implementation in the SampleRack & Pad Pro.
It also helps explain why the User guides are misleading about Midi receive settings.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:22:57 AM by rhysT »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #159 on: March 04, 2015, 01:24:23 PM »
........ I also discovered that MIDI program change and receive doesn't work until you run the firmware update.

That's some interesting info I missed, which suggests Alesis have changed their plans regarding midi implementation in the SampleRack & Pad Pro. I have doubt
It also helps explain why the User guides are misleading about Midi receive settings.

It is weird and not sure about this,  in the firmware description doc, there is no mention at all about Midi Receive or any Midi change\issue, it only fix an issue with using WAV files exported from Avid® Pro Tools® and Steinberg Cubase and nothing in that regard here at Alesis Official http://www.noterepeat.com/products/alesis/electronic-percussion/percpad-and-samplepad/521-alesis-samplerack-frequently-asked-questions
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:07:34 PM by ChrisK »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2015, 07:37:01 PM »
It is weird and not sure about this,  in the firmware description doc, there is no mention at all about Midi Receive or any Midi change\issue, it only fix an issue with using WAV files exported from Avid® Pro Tools® and Steinberg Cubase and nothing in that regard here at Alesis Official http://www.noterepeat.com/products/alesis/electronic-percussion/percpad-and-samplepad/521-alesis-samplerack-frequently-asked-questions
I'm not surprised about any undisclosed firmware changes to the SampleRack & Pad Pro, especially before they were released. It's unlikely Alesis would list any major changes in an upgrade document, and have us wondering why they weren't included initially.

Btw, in the latest Akai MPX16 firmware update, changing Midi Receive from Omni to Ch 1 is considered as just 'fixing a minor bug':
Changes Since Firmware Version 1.0.7
• Adds a fixed-velocity setting to allow Full Level feature.
• Fixes minor bugs.

As there is no option to restore the original MPX16 firmware I haven't updated mine yet, but I'd be more likely to install the SampleRack update as wbdrumz has confirmed the original Midi Receive limitation.

I tend to expect the unexpected (good & not so) with some InMusic products as their various brands apparently aren't being allowed to compete with each other.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 07:43:46 PM by rhysT »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2015, 01:05:36 AM »
Alesis Fixed below as expected at Key Features page on the Web Site for Both Sample Rack and Sample Pad Pro:

-Save up to 512 sounds and 89 kits per 32GB SD card
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 01:07:27 AM by ChrisK »

« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2015, 10:28:05 AM »
After giving it the good try, I ended up sending the Sample Rack back. I will keep my Alesis Dm10, but I have also ordered the Yamaha DTX 900M module. This is the one that comes with the DIMM Memory factory installed. I believe that the Sample Rack has some nice sounds...but the MIDI implementation is so weak, it is really only useful to someone who wishes to play an 8 trigger electronic kit. Triggering from a Zendrum reveals all of the limitations of the Sample Rack. Oh Well.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2015, 12:24:27 AM »
After giving it the good try, I ended up sending the Sample Rack back. I will keep my Alesis Dm10, but I have also ordered the Yamaha DTX 900M module. This is the one that comes with the DIMM Memory factory installed. I believe that the Sample Rack has some nice sounds...but the MIDI implementation is so weak, it is really only useful to someone who wishes to play an 8 trigger electronic kit. Triggering from a Zendrum reveals all of the limitations of the Sample Rack. Oh Well.
Just wondering if you tried a SD card with your own samples and did that provide an extra midi note for each trigger input?

FYI - The Akai MPX16 allows samples to be assigned to 16 individual midi notes, which could adapt better to your Zendrum. A potential limitation is receiving Midi on Channel 1 only (after a firmware update), but hihat operation is possible using a mute group.

Online ChrisK

« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »
I just got it Sample Rack works like a charm , also the hihat you can use them as normal sound, 8 sample via midi extra or 16 samples with velocity switch both 8 midi notes you can assign via midi.

Sd Cards enable velocity switch for each zone ( 2 sound per input trigger stated wrong on the User guide, it is clearly Each zone of each dual zone are Velocity switch A+B, up to 4 sound for each Trigger 1 to 7, 2 midi notes for each triggers 1 to 7.

With Sd Cards
    Dual zone snare Each zone have 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 2 midi note (total of 4 sound each triggers + 2 midi notes triggers)

Tom triggers are Dual zone, Each zone have 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 2 midi note (total of 4 sound each triggers + 2 midi note each triggers)
    Cymbals triggers are Dual zone, Each zone have 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 2 midi note (total of 4 sound each triggers + 2 midi note each triggers)

Kick one zone, 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 1 midi note (total of 2 sound)

-Without Sd Cards
    Snare Dual Zone, 1 sound each zone (total of 2 sound),+ 2 midi notes
    Tom triggers are Dual zone, 1 sound each zone (total of 2 sound),+ 2 midi notes each triggers

-Each Cymbals triggers are Dual zone, 1 sound each zone (total of 2 sound),+ 2 midi notes each triggers

Kick one zone, 1 sound one zone (total of 1 sound),+ 1 midi note

With Sd Cards
    Hi Hat A:
    Open; + 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 1 midi note
    Mid ; + 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B + 1 midi note
    Close; + 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B + 1 midi note

Hi Hat B:
    Open; 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B +1 midi note
    Mid; 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B +1 midi note
    Close; 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B +1 midi note

HiHat Chick 1 midi notes, 2 sound velocity A+B
    HiHat splash 1 midi notes, 2 sound velocity A+B

Hihat: Total of 8 midi note and 16 samples

Without Sd Cards
    Hi Hat A:
    Open;1 sound, 1 midi note
    Mid 1 sound, 1 midi note
    Close; 1 sound, 1 midi note

Hi Hat B:
    Open; 1 sound, 1 midi note
    Mid; 1 sound, 1 midi note
    Close; 1 sound, 1 midi note

HiHat Chick 1 sound, 1 midi note
    HiHat splash 1 sound, 1 midi note

Hihat: Total of 8 midi note and 8 samples

Each 8 or 16 sample Hihat can be played Via midi as a normal trigger or drum, no need to be hihat device, you can assign any sound to them... I plugged my Spd-SX and I play these 8 midi note separately on each spd-sx pad and all is fine like a drums.

Kick, 1 midi note, 2 velocity switch sound A+B

You can leave B empty if you want even with the SD cards installed

Without SD cards you have a Total of 23 sound and 23 midi note users kit
    With SD Cards =46 samples sound with velocity switch or simultaneous and 23 midi note each users kit

There is more potential then the Sample Pad Pro, more layers capability on each zone and more sound. (Sample pad pro are limited to 8 one zone pad velocity switch)

I am very pleased with the Capability and specially the velocity switch for each zone, including the kick and the HIHat, I can trigs 8 samples or 16 velocity switch sound via midi for the hihat with any sound assigned to the hihat open,mid, close chick and splash works as trigger,  could not ask more for this price. Hands Down way more potential then the Roland TM-2 for the same price.

Akai MPX8\ MPX16 are not the same as Sample Rack related to midi notes and sample for each users kits, without Sd cards 23 midi notes 23 sample each users kits or with Sd Cards, 23 midi note and 46 samples each users kits, more potential with Sample Rack!

Ps: Sample Rack Internal Sound Snare and Ride are build with velocity switch sound (Not related to Zone A+B) and without having SD cards.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:04:14 AM by ChrisK »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2015, 01:44:34 PM »

I think you did something wrong, because you can have up to 23 midi notes each kit via midi (I know you are using 27 midi note), you told me you can only access A, which will limit you to 9 midi notes, it's not the case..in fact you can have 23 midi notes and 45 samples with Sd cards and without sd cards  23 midi notes and 23 samples.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:36:07 PM by ChrisK »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2015, 04:59:29 PM »
Just wondering if you tried a SD card with your own samples and did that provide an extra midi note for each trigger input?

FYI - The Akai MPX16 allows samples to be assigned to 16 individual midi notes, which could adapt better to your Zendrum. A potential limitation is receiving Midi on Channel 1 only (after a firmware update), but hihat operation is possible using a mute group.

Sample Rack have more capabilities then the Mpx16 in terme of midi note and samples, Sample Rack does have 23 midi notes 23 samples without Sd Cards, and with Sd cards, 23 midi notes 46 samples with velocity switch sound.  The users guide is not clear and precise.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:04:27 AM by ChrisK »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2015, 07:11:13 PM »
There's really not much else to say...your thread from almost 6 months ago and the recent release of the Alesis sample converters,sample libraries,comparisons being identical in file names/sizes pretty much confirms the long wait for the Samplerack and the SamplePad Pro was for a rebranded MPX8..just a choice of larger pads or ext triggers..

MPX8 is 99.00 US..pretty much everywhere..

Now since I got the units, Sample Rack have more capabilities then Mpx8\16 in term of midi notes and samples on each users kits.

Akai Mpx8: 8 midi notes, 8 samples  each users kits
Akai Mpx16: 16 midi notes, 16 samples  each users kits

Alesis Sample Rack:
With Sd Cards: 23 midi notes 46 Samples velocity layers, each users kits up to 99 users kits.
Without Sd Cards: 23 midi notes, 23 samples each users kits.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 02:17:39 AM by ChrisK »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2015, 09:56:24 PM »
Sample Rack have more capabilities then the Mpx16, Sample Rack does have 23 midi notes 23 samples without Sd Cards, and with Sd cards, 23 midi notes 45 samples with velocity switch sound.  The users guide is not clear and precise.
Thanks Chris for clearing up some confusion with the SampleRack User guide, which should be updated to match the current firmware specs. Maybe Alesis have understated the SampleRack's midi features to avoid comparisons with the SamplePad Pro's relative midi limitations.

I agree the SampleRack provides more 'bangs for your bucks' than the MPX16, with its 2 midi notes for each Input 1-7 (using a SD card) and the hihat's 8 midi notes are a useful extra. I'm interested to know if the current version of firmware (v1.0.5) was already installed.

I'll check out the SampleRack soon and wait to see what's new at Musikmesse in mid-April.

Online ChrisK

« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2015, 10:11:27 PM »
Sample Rack have more capabilities then the Mpx16, Sample Rack does have 23 midi notes 23 samples without Sd Cards, and with Sd cards, 23 midi notes 45 samples with velocity switch sound.  The users guide is not clear and precise.
Thanks Chris for clearing up some confusion with the SampleRack User guide, which should be updated to match the current firmware specs. Maybe Alesis have understated the SampleRack's midi features to avoid comparisons with the SamplePad Pro's relative midi limitations.

I agree the SampleRack provides more 'bangs for your bucks' than the MPX16, with its 2 midi notes for each Input 1-7 (using a SD card) and the hihat's 8 midi notes are a useful extra. I'm interested to know if the current version of firmware (v1.0.5) was already installed.

I'll check out the SampleRack soon and wait to see what's new at Musikmesse in mid-April.

Without the 2 sound velocity switch on each zone and 23 midi note, I would not purchased it, but it make difference now, I am using it with my Spd-Sx.

In my units latest firmware was not installed, also the velocity 000-127 are accessible only with Sd cards for A and B sound, the best setting for velocity switch sound is to set A to 000-127 then B to 90-127 to have graduate velocity switch sound, because if you set A 00-64 then B 65-127, when you hit B strike range it cancel and cut sound from A.. you if you set them both 000-127, you will have both sound A+B at the same time.

Also Sample Rack Internal Sound Snare and Ride are build with velocity switch sound (Not related to Zone A+B) and without having SD cards.

A this price it's very good, I might buy another one,  46 midi notes, 92 samples one with Midi in to out, if setup correctly we could have 4 sound for head and 4 sound for rim and 4 mains Outputs

Exemple:
MIDI Out to in
Sample Rack 1: Head  velocity switch sound A 000-60 B 50-70
Sample Rack 2: Head  velocity switch sound A 60-90  B 80-127

Sample Rack 1: Rim  velocity switch sound A 000-60 B 50-70
Sample Rack 2: Rim  velocity switch sound A 60-90  B 80-127

With 3 Sample Rack  69 midi notes, 138 samples 3 with Midi, if setup correctly we could have 6 sound for head and 6 sound for rim

Also, no need to buy 32GB Sd cards, waist of money, with lower then 8GB, 4GB SD, etc you can have 89 users kits and 512 sound on the root, (they said 32GB because it handle up to 32GB but no need, make no difference)

Only Class 10 is important for speed like 30\45mb\s, I did see a difference with class 4 on loading compare to 10 is important for speed like 45mb\s, I will probably buy a Class10 95mb\s and compare to the 30\45mb\s
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 01:05:32 AM by ChrisK »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2015, 12:25:21 PM »
with its 2 midi notes for each Input 1-7 (using a SD card) and the hihat's 8 midi notes are a useful extra

Just to be more precise, the 2 midi note for each input 1-7 and the 8 midi note for HIHAT are not related to the Sd cards, you have the same number of midi note 23 without the SD cards, SD cards only enable velocity switch sound, SD cards don't add midi note or zone on each triggers, out of the box you still have 23 midi note and all dual zone trigger without any Sd cards used.

Also, no need to buy 32GB Sd cards, waist of money, with lower then 8GB, 4GB SD, etc you can have 99 users kits and 512 sound on the root, (they said 32GB because it handle up to 32GB but no need, make no difference, I tested and goes to 89 users kits) Only Class 10 is important for speed like 30\45mb\s, I did see a difference with class 4 on loading compare to 10 is important for speed like 45mb\s, I will probably buy a Class10 95mb\s and compare to the 30\45mb\s
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 06:18:27 AM by ChrisK »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2015, 11:31:58 PM »
Yeah Chris, excuse my oversight regarding the SampleRack's 23 midi notes without a SD card.
I want to try midi control of it with my DTX Multi-12, which allows up to 4 layers/midi notes on its 12 pads and other trigger inputs.
I'm also interested in how well the variable hihat control functions with internal sounds and SD kit samples.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:33:52 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #172 on: November 20, 2015, 03:43:35 PM »
If I need to post elsewhere, please let me know.

I currently have a DM5 using live in an 80's act.  I would like to incorporate some new drum kit sounds.  The sample rack looks like a decent move (as I really desire a rackmount).   

I need the 4 outs (of the DM5) to send to FOH.

I'm not familiar at all with MIDI (I'm a drummer !).

Can I use the DM5's outputs with the Sample Rack's inputs?   meaning, I load BFD or other into Sample Rack, MIDI in/out of DM5/Sample Rack, plug my triggers into DM5, and run 4 outputs from DM5 to FOH?

So using DM5 for input and output, and getting samples from Sample Rack?

Thanks so much!
Terry

« Reply #173 on: March 13, 2016, 08:57:21 AM »
I've just bought the sample rack and I have a problem. I don't use midi just yet, but I can't get sound out of the main output into an stereo amplifier so I can hear myself drum without headphones. The manual or website of Alesis doesn't offer much help.
Anyone got an idea?

Online ChrisK

« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2016, 07:17:53 PM »
I've just bought the sample rack and I have a problem. I don't use midi just yet, but I can't get sound out of the main output into an stereo amplifier so I can hear myself drum without headphones. The manual or website of Alesis doesn't offer much help.
Anyone got an idea?

go here http://community.alesis.com/alesis/products/alesis_samplerack

They will help you it's Alesis forum