Author Topic: Alesis DM10 vs. Pearl's R.E.D. Box  (Read 34494 times)

Re: Alesis DM10 vs. Pearl's R.E.D. Box
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 01:21:11 PM »
Waouh this module is so classy !

Offline Guinness

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 02:06:25 PM »
In another thread somewhere HF talked about what he thinks he saw from Pearl:  dual zone hi-hat. 
I just watched the video (slow here at work).  I think I saw a bottom hat.  Hmmmm, very interesting.

I am wondering how different, if at all, Pearl's redbox is from the DM10.  Is the redbox for sale?   See any 3rd party reviews on it?

Offline H3RB

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 02:28:16 PM »
surely if the dm10 and red box are the same then they can use each others firmware/sound sets?
if not im sure there will be some form of mod/hack for it because im guessing it has the same internals and chipset.
the kit in that vid did sound pretty damn sexy but if u ask me it was just a VST kit as he didnt switch kits etc if the vst kits sound that good then i cant wait.

Offline H3RB

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 02:30:45 PM »
scrap my last post... just watched the new video again and it says that its factory custom set 000 and that sounds nothing like the fusion kit lol

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 04:18:14 PM »
In another thread somewhere HF talked about what he thinks he saw from Pearl:  dual zone hi-hat. 
I just watched the video (slow here at work).  I think I saw a bottom hat.  Hmmmm, very interesting.

I am wondering how different, if at all, Pearl's redbox is from the DM10.  Is the redbox for sale?   See any 3rd party reviews on it?
Keep in mind Guinness Pearl states that the REDbox only has a single zone hi-hat input on it. I put that info out there because I think Pearl was thinking ahead and made the trigger itself a dual zone trigger (possible future upgrade maybe?). The REDbox hi-hat input is still single zone just like the DM10.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 04:44:27 PM »

Keep in mind Guinness Pearl states that the REDbox only has a single zone hi-hat input on it. I put that info out there because I think Pearl was thinking ahead and made the trigger itself a dual zone trigger (possible future upgrade maybe?). The REDbox hi-hat input is still single zone just like the DM10.

Gotcha.   Did you also see the bottom hat in the video?  I remember the pic you posted where a "tongue" was sticking out just past the edge, but the video (from what I could see) showed a bottom hat.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 05:03:06 PM »
Gotcha.   Did you also see the bottom hat in the video?  I remember the pic you posted where a "tongue" was sticking out just past the edge, but the video (from what I could see) showed a bottom hat.
I saw it. It looks to me to be the same trigger that I showed it the pics. When you are watching the video and they do the top down view of him playing, look at the leading edge (edge facing the drummer) you will see the black lip. I also noticed how tightly the hat was mounted. It doesn't move!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2010, 09:39:58 PM »
I got clairification on that black leading edge of the hi-hat trigger on the ePro Live kit. Here is the comment from Bob Sabellico - Product Manager - Pearl Electronic Percussion Division (stated on the Pearl Drum Forum):

Quote from: Bob Sabellico
The hi hat is a single zone. The black edge is from the lower cymbal that is made from plastic with a rubber gasket. We tried to use it with a single hi hat but the feel was drastically improved with addition of the lower cymbal.

Yes, the Sound Shop will be up and running when the kit is released.

Thanks for your questions and your kind comments on our kit.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 02:13:54 AM »
ah ha!  so I did *see* a bottom hat.  ;D

I bet that does "feel" more realistic.  But I'm used to my hi hat now. So...

Thanks for the update Phil.  You da man!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 09:31:20 AM »
ah ha!  so I did *see* a bottom hat.  ;D

I bet that does "feel" more realistic.  But I'm used to my hi hat now. So...

Thanks for the update Phil.  You da man!
Good eye Guinness. I'm glad you stated the thing about the second hi-hat. I wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one that saw something different about that set-up.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 01:01:27 AM »
Just received an ad from GuitarCenter:

Pearl e-Pro Live kit on sale for $3199.99    :o

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »
Just received an ad from GuitarCenter:

Pearl e-Pro Live kit on sale for $3199.99    :o
Thanks for the heads up. I did notice that GuitarCenter still states that they are not available until Aug 6th. They must be trying to get pre-orders.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:49:50 AM by Hellfire »

Offline b-radisrad

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2010, 11:14:22 PM »
Is it just me or does anyone else think Pearl's E-Pro kit is overpriced by $1,500? The kit just seems like a glorified Pearl Export with a new finish. Add on the triggers and the brain and TADA, you have an overpriced Pearl Kit.
I WANNA ROCK...however, not like Twisted Sister.

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 01:57:17 PM »
If that kit had any other logo on it other than PEARL it would be. Being that it is a PEARL kit they can get a nice markup on it. For me why not just release it as an add on to a standard kit that you already own? Use your shells and get all those great sounds from the RED box module. I bet they do that down the road. This is where Alesis can really one up them.
As of now: DM10 Studio Kit with additional SURGE cymbals and DM5 pads.
Pearl ICON front rack with Stealth rack front curved bars for side rack arms
Vic Firth Sticks and MacBook for VST triggering.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 04:35:12 PM »
If that kit had any other logo on it other than PEARL it would be. Being that it is a PEARL kit they can get a nice markup on it. For me why not just release it as an add on to a standard kit that you already own? Use your shells and get all those great sounds from the RED box module. I bet they do that down the road. This is where Alesis can really one up them.

That sounds like a pretty smart strategy.

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2010, 08:56:55 PM »
Could it be a marketing agreement between Pearl and Alesis, so Alesis let Pearl sell new sound kits for a certaqin amount of time before release the same. If the DM10 is really an Alesis creation the Redbox was created also by Alesis for Pearl or Pearl would have copyright problems in releasing such a copy of an existing sound module.
And I'm pretty sure you can't use the sound Kits create for the Redbox because they should have protected the hardware  to avoid we try this.
In the same way they may have change slightly the quality or just the order of the kits  delivered with the module .
Anyway wait and see ::)

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 11:13:50 PM »
If the DM10 is really an Alesis creation the Redbox was created also by Alesis for Pearl or Pearl would have copyright problems in releasing such a copy of an existing sound module.
Alesis has stated publicly that the DM10 is their creation and Pearl has stated publicly that they worked with Alesis to develop the Redbox. So none of those points should be in question. I hope that helps.

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2010, 11:17:52 AM »
That may explain why the RedBox is more expensive than the DM10 they surely have to pay royalties on it . In an other to stay competitive they should be able to give to their customer something that the original cannot. That's why I'm thinking of kind of an agreement between this two companies. Anyway Alesis make money on both sides, so what they may missed  in a side in delaying the release of the new sound they will have by the royalties on Pearl sales.

my 0.5 Canadian cents ;)

Orangeblood

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2010, 11:31:40 AM »
OK.... if Pearl worked with Alesis on the module...then where is the 3rd party stuff. That tells me the insides of the module are damn near identical...if not identical. Here is it Oct. and they are still not here.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2010, 05:27:10 PM »
If the DM10 is really an Alesis creation the Redbox was created also by Alesis for Pearl or Pearl would have copyright problems in releasing such a copy of an existing sound module.
Alesis has stated publicly that the DM10 is their creation and Pearl has stated publicly that they worked with Alesis to develop the Redbox. So none of those points should be in question. I hope that helps.

Thanks, HF!
That's the first time I've seen a definitive statement about the RED DM10.  Not that I was scouring the interwebs to find such a statement.  you rule.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2010, 11:13:18 AM »

Thanks, HF!
That's the first time I've seen a definitive statement about the RED DM10.  Not that I was scouring the interwebs to find such a statement.  you rule.

As an exemple of Alesis/Pearl partnership, Pearl is the official distributor for Alesis products in France.

BTW, is there anyone that can compare the two modules based on his practice(features, built-in sounds, etc.)?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:15:02 AM by vince153 »

« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2014, 06:16:55 PM »
Sorry for the necropost, but... Any news on getting the 3rd party kits for the DM10? It's been years...

Offline Trondster

« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2014, 06:41:25 PM »
Sorry for the necropost, but... Any news on getting the 3rd party kits for the DM10? It's been years...
"No". There's the Blue Jay kit, and the stock sounds. Those are the only two options.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »
I just wish the dm10 community could get the sound sets the pearl module gets since they are pretty much one and the same

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »
I just wish the dm10 community could get the sound sets the pearl module gets since they are pretty much one and the same
It isn't going to happen at this point. Alesis has started the switch away from the "DM" product line. Alesis is looking toward the Strike module for this kind of flexibility. If you look at the new product lineup you will notice no "DM" in the names:

• Strike kit
• Crimson kit
• Command kit
• Forge kit
• Nitro kit

I wonder what is going to happen to the Pearl REDbox?