Author Topic: I'm Australian, please don't hold that against me!  (Read 2527 times)

I'm Australian, please don't hold that against me!
« on: August 07, 2010, 08:10:29 AM »
I haven't played the drums seriously since I was in high school, over 14 years ago.  I've played friend's kits, and dabbled in bongos.  I also live with people, so that sorta rules out getting a nice acoustic kit.

I started out looking for a 6-pad drum module with USB MIDI connectivity, and that's when I found Alesis.  Then I saw the DM6, and then the DM10  Studio kit

I thought the DM6 was pretty good, but the DM10 Studio kit is so much better.  I'm waiting for my tax refund, should take a few weeks, then I'll be buying my first drum kit.

Cheers to Guinness and his videos of the DM10 on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBDcL-KVnn8

Oh yes, I'm a recreational drummer, and I've been frustrated all these years without a kit of my own.  I love to hit the skins to relax, something I haven't been able to do for a while.  (I also work in IT...)

I'm a tapper, I tap rhythms out on anything, work with different sounds and beats.  (even in the car)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 08:21:37 AM by smadge1 »

Offline Hellfire

Re: I'm Australian, please don't hold that against me!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 10:18:04 AM »
I haven't played the drums seriously since I was in high school, over 14 years ago.  I've played friend's kits, and dabbled in bongos.  I also live with people, so that sorta rules out getting a nice acoustic kit.

I started out looking for a 6-pad drum module with USB MIDI connectivity, and that's when I found Alesis.  Then I saw the DM6, and then the DM10  Studio kit

I thought the DM6 was pretty good, but the DM10 Studio kit is so much better.  I'm waiting for my tax refund, should take a few weeks, then I'll be buying my first drum kit.

Cheers to Guinness and his videos of the DM10 on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBDcL-KVnn8

Oh yes, I'm a recreational drummer, and I've been frustrated all these years without a kit of my own.  I love to hit the skins to relax, something I haven't been able to do for a while.  (I also work in IT...)

I'm a tapper, I tap rhythms out on anything, work with different sounds and beats.  (even in the car)
Welcome to the forum smadge1!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 11:52:53 PM »
oh yes, Hellfire, I remember seeing your DM10 Pro video on youtube too, you showed how quiet the kit's acoustics were, pretty impressive.

I'm looking at the DM10 Studio kit with the rubber cymbal triggers, the Surge cymbals look the part, but I'm concerned that they may be too loud.

It's probably not a good idea to drum late at night on any drum kit, but a nice quiet kit would be great for during the day!

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:25:39 AM »
oh yes, Hellfire, I remember seeing your DM10 Pro video on youtube too, you showed how quiet the kit's acoustics were, pretty impressive.

I'm looking at the DM10 Studio kit with the rubber cymbal triggers, the Surge cymbals look the part, but I'm concerned that they may be too loud.

It's probably not a good idea to drum late at night on any drum kit, but a nice quiet kit would be great for during the day!
I would not get Surge cymbals if noise is a major concern. I think Surge are much quieter than acoustic cymbals but the rubber are even quieter than the Surge.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 12:39:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum.   ;D

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 10:34:15 PM »
Welcome man,

Its good to have another aussie onboard.  I dont know if you have sourced your Alesis dm10 studiot yet but I got mine from Allans music, Victoria for $1500 including shipping . Seemed like a good deal as most places would only go as low as $1700. 

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 06:53:03 AM »
Welcome man,

Its good to have another aussie onboard.  I dont know if you have sourced your Alesis dm10 studiot yet but I got mine from Allans music, Victoria for $1500 including shipping . Seemed like a good deal as most places would only go as low as $1700.

Only found two suppliers in Sydney on ebay for $1,500

Going to have to assume I also need a bass pedal and stool!

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 10:56:58 PM »
I got my bass pedal from a guy (Bobby) on this forum who has an online store called NewEnglandMusicSupply.com.  Even with shipping I saved around $500 compared to aussie prices.

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 02:20:01 PM »
Welcome aboard m8,
one of reasons i like being in the northern hemisphere is the pricing, however A-$1500 seems like a reasonable price..
As for you being Aussie, we can check that out when Tri nations is over <grin>
Alesis DM 10 studio, DW3000 double kick, Alesis 6 ch mix, Pearl Speed Beat throne, Alesis 50watt Transactive Drumer Amp, Shure WH20 Dynamic Headset Microphone.

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 05:05:43 PM »
I figure I might buy a double bass pedal while I'm at it.  never used one before, will be interesting.