Author Topic: Hello from Wisconsin!  (Read 2470 times)

Hello from Wisconsin!
« on: June 02, 2010, 09:58:24 PM »
Hello, my name is Joe.  I'm from Janesville, WI.

I've been playing acoustic drums for about 15 years and have owned an electronic set for about 5. 

My current electronic set is a Pintech Tour Elite Z.  I used to have a Roland TD-8 for it, but I sold that a few years ago.  I just bought an Alesis Trigger I/O and hope to use it with my computer but am having issues using BFD Lite with Windows 7.

I'm thinking of getting a different computer and/or different software. 

What would you guys recommend for an inexpensive setup to use for practice?  I may integrate my electronics into my acoustic kit at some point down the road, but that it not a priority now.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline Hellfire

Re: Hello from Wisconsin!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:07:07 PM »
I don't really use VST's much so I can't recommend anything. I do know that the better your computer is, the better the VST with run. There are a few here that use VST's so, hopefully they will chime in with some better advice.

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

Offline Pier

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 06:30:56 AM »
Hi Joe,

just to say welcome here!
Enjoy  :)

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 10:50:34 AM »
Welcome to DMDrummer.com

Offline ghostman

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 12:48:20 AM »
Welcome!

As someone who has used BFD Lite & Trigger IO (And Steven Slate Drums), and testing this setup on a Windows (XP) based PC and a Mac, I would wholeheartedly recommend a Mac over a Windows based computer when it comes to music stuff.  Sure, Windows works fine, but I've found that the amount of effort to get it working is far less on a Mac.  These forums are full of both users, so I am sure that there is help out there for you no matter what you decide.

Good luck, and again, Welcome!
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 10:20:25 PM »
I actually just picked up a 13.3" Macbook today for pretty cheap.  I'll try to install BFD Lite this weekend and see what happens.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 02:34:02 AM »
I actually just picked up a 13.3" Macbook today for pretty cheap.  I'll try to install BFD Lite this weekend and see what happens.

I have a macbook Pro - I'd be interested to know if the newer Macbooks are as good as my 2 year old MacBook Pro.  They are cheaper, a bit smaller in the screen, but seems to be usable.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.