Author Topic: hey, new drummer here  (Read 3717 times)

Offline H3RB

hey, new drummer here
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:37:56 PM »
hey, basically ive wanted to play drums since the age of 9 but was never allowed a kit because of the noise :( but now i have my own place (although its 14 years later) i bought a kit  8) neighbours are funny though so i still couldnt get another kit and lack of money ment i had to get what i could afford lol
so i bought the DM5 pro kit, replaced the heads with mesh heads cause they were still damn loud lol.
i love it and cant wait till im actually able to play a song ANY song lol
any suggestions on where to start (lessons are out of the question atm, and i have a baby on the way so im a tad skint) so any web sites, you tube vids or any of your own practice methods etc are all great help.
so hello everyone, im 23 male and from uk  not that any of that matters but ya know. never intend on joining a band or being rich and famous i just wanna have fun ;D

Offline Guinness

Re: hey, new drummer here
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:49:38 PM »
Hey there, and welcome to the forum.  You'll find a lot of cool folks here.

As for learning to play, i assume you have an ear for it, and can keep time.  You'll find a boat load of "lessons" on youtube.com.  Personally, I just listen to a song and then play along.  Kind of self taught that way, i guess.  I do that with guitar and piano too.

Learn as you go, and most importantly, have fun!

Offline ghostman

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 01:35:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  I first started learning by listening to songs I want to learn to play, and also bought some books / videos to help learn.  If you have iTunes, check out the roland Vdrums lessons podcasts.

Good luck!
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:56:10 AM »
Welcome aboard H3RB!

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:42:24 PM »
Nice, another forum member. :P There is a place that i like to use... not sure if i can link it here but change it if im not allowed to please.

www.freedrumlessons.com

There is a great beginner series that i used and am still working through the rest of them. You can sign up and them send you updates but other than that all they have there is a system that they sell. You DONT have to buy it to join or register.

Have fun!

Luke

Offline H3RB

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 04:50:44 PM »
thanks guys, ive signed up to that site but still dont know where to start lol
been learning songs by ear so far. can any of you suggest good songs for a begginer?

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:50:33 AM »
Anything by Rush :P

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 08:54:50 AM »
thanks guys, ive signed up to that site but still dont know where to start lol
been learning songs by ear so far. can any of you suggest good songs for a begginer?

What do you like to listen to?  Try playing that. "Air drum" first, or with your kit turned down low.   Start with simple songs...  steady beat, not too many fills.   

It all depends on what type of music you like, and what type of music you want to play, imo.

Anything by Rush :P
Oh ya....  start with Tom Sawyer.  That's a good place to start.  Easy.   :o

Offline H3RB

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 10:10:59 AM »
lol well to be fair in the end i wanna be able to play metal... but obviously most of that is farrrrrrr out of my league at the min.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »
I find that if i play along with the type of music i like and once i get the idea  of  the song i then try to play it. I play by ear but i kinda need to be in that "type" of musical mood to play it. Just me. Good Luck and Have Fun!

Offline H3RB

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »
well ive kinda learnt a few songs by ear and watching vids of people doing covers.
i need some more cymbals tho cause atm i have a crash/ride/hi hat.
been trying to do some lessons off that site but still struggling a little. found a place round here that does drum lessons for £8 for half an hour which is quite cheap so thinking of having an hour or so a week.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:02:23 PM »
I dont know if this is a bad idea or not as I am just starting to learn to drum too.  But I will search for a song with 'GHWT' expert drums on you tube so I can learn how to play the song. 

If you dont have these games then all you need to know is red=Snare, Yellow=Hi-Hat, Orange=Crash or Ride, Blue=Toms, Green=Toms and the Purple straight line is the bass kick.

Offline Bobby@NEMS

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »
Yup.... kallan kinda hit a interesting note there.

The only reason I started playing drums....is Rock Band.  The oem game kit is kinda lame, but it works. The diferent lanes in the game are easy to follow if you know music (i've been playing instruments since I was 7)

Made my move up to a drum rocker by ION (essentially the DM5 non-pro) with a proprietary module. All the same Mideli parts you find on most kits out there. I've expanded significantly and have been wtching ALOT of YouTube vids and have a local drumming bud teaching me some stuff.

Rock Band has a wide variety of bands and styles, with difficulty levels teaching you basics and difficult licks. I know it sounds silly, but if you have a console, pick the game up. When a new song is realsed, i typically "sight read" it on Expert, especially if I know the song. You get a feel for the music and know how it should play. you can then take that principle and apply it right to your kit.

Also, If you have the DM5 already, you can get a GHWT midi adapter and use your kit with rhythm games, or pickup a standalone ION Drum module and just unplug your kit from the DM5 module.
Bobby D.

Offline H3RB

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 11:29:15 AM »
ive wanted to play drums since i was about 9 but never had the chance so when rock band/guitar hero came out i jumped on em straight away lol. they just made me want drums even more. so as soon as i got my own house i bought a kit, could only have an electronic kit cause next door are funny with noise.
i bought the dm5 pro kit and use it with rock band/guitar hero also and now i have the dm10 studio kit which im yet to try with guitar hero.
i probs used to play gh or rb about 5 hours a day lol