Author Topic: DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad  (Read 110528 times)

Offline Jacko

Re: DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2011, 06:33:20 AM »

Hey guys.  I have a DM10 Studio kit coming in an a Trigger I/O.

I want to add three more crashes and maybe another tom.

Here's my question:  Using this set up, can you play with the DM10 only, ie. no laptop with a VSTi software, and assign the crashes and extra tom?  What will happen to the preset kits?  Will you have dead "notes" for the extra pads and cymbals attached to I/O?

I hope this makes sense.  I'm a bit hungover.

My DM10 with Mesh Heads and Trigger I/O http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1436.0

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2011, 12:09:55 PM »
Here's my question:  Using this set up, can you play with the DM10 only, ie. no laptop with a VSTi software, and assign the crashes and extra tom?  What will happen to the preset kits?  Will you have dead "notes" for the extra pads and cymbals attached to I/O?
You do realize that this thread explains how to do what you just asked? Try reading the beginning of the thread and you will find your answer. I hope that helps.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »

I did.  Twice.  Need to pay attention next time, I guess. lol
My DM10 with Mesh Heads and Trigger I/O http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1436.0

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2011, 11:53:36 AM »

I did.  Twice.  Need to pay attention next time, I guess. lol
Well, I went back through the thread and I now realize that though the info is there to do what you want to do, it isn't set-up like a tutorial. So, if there is something that isn't made very clear, just let me know and I will see if I can explain it in more detail.

The short answer is Yes, you can connect the DM10 and the Trigger I/O together with a midi cable and add the extra crashes and toms you want to do. Nothing should change on the preset kits as far as the basic DM10 studio set-up is concerned. The midi notes that you will need to program your trigger I/O to are past the notes used for the DM10's inputs. Those note already have sounds assigned to them, but chances are you will want to assign different ones to it.

Once you get your DM10 set-up and you want to hear the sounds in those locations, hit the INST button and then F1. You should now be in a instrument select mode. Using the scroll wheel, scroll until you see "MIDI#37". That is the first midi note that you can access with the Trigger I/O. There are 34 additional midi notes you can use past MIDI#37. All of which have something assigned to it, but can easily be changed. Keep in mind, you will need to set the Trigger I/O to that midi number to play that instrument and make sure the your Trigger I/O and DM10 are on the same midi channel (channel 10). Out of the box they should already be set-up that way.

I hope that helps or at least gets you started.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »

Phil, thank you so much for explaining that way.  I now get it.  The DM10 came in and the I/O should be in next week. 

Offline Jacko

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2011, 09:36:11 PM »

I got the Trigger I/O this week and it's frickin' great!  I got it to work, Phil.

I set the extra tom and cymbals quite easily.  I was getting lots of cross talk at first, but with the manual I easily figured out how to adjust the gain and threshold.  I was able to assign some sounds that matched what I wanted them to do.  One cymbal acts as a cowbell, etc.

This rocks and it's so easy to set up.   

Happy camper.

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2011, 11:25:57 PM »
Hey Guys! It's been along time since I have come to visit. I really should hang out more, what an awesome place with so much good information.

Anyway so I broke my kick and ordered a replacement. Two days after ordering it I just couldn't stop drooling over the DM10 studio kit every time I went to look at the web site I ordered the kick from.

Like a kid in the candy store I broke down and ordered the whole kit! This thread confirms for me what I was hoping for, I already have the old USB kit with a trigger IO and now I am going to combine that old kit with the new one.

I'm very excited to finally get a real brain to work with. I had been using a laptop and SSD software which was ok but i'm sick of all the fooling around with the virtual midi in and outs and software tweaking, buffers for ASIO,, on and on.

I should have the new kit in a few days, I'll let you know how it goes. ----BZ

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2011, 08:28:22 AM »
I hope this isnt a stupid question, but I cant find the answer regardless.

What kinds of other sounds does the DM-10 have that you can assign to those extra spots?

I have a trigger i/o and am getting really tired of having to plug in my laptop in order to play.  That and with the software I bought, there are not any sounds that I would actually USE if I had more triggers avaliable.

You can only have so many toms and cymbals - Does the DM10 feature other percussion sounds - like bongo, tambourine, cowbells, gongs - that kind of stuff?

If so, getting a DM10 to combine with my trigger i/O is certain for me.

Ok I can see why you don't always want to start your laptop. However, there is very simple and free software which can help you out here http://www.hydrogen-music.org.  You can create or import your own  libraries (as zip) and/or sounds(as .wav)  and a lot of the things you're looking for are available online. It's not as good as a dm10 module though.

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2011, 05:32:12 PM »
Hello, Just reading thru this thread and wondering if there was anyone who got their Performance pad to work (assigning different sounds to the pads) with the DM10? I started with the Pad and just recently got a dm10 studio kit I am a total novice with this midi stuff. I do have a merge box and IO trigger but damn if I can make it all work. Am I just wasting my time with the Performance Pad? Do I need Control Pad instead? I am very interested in expanding my kit and would appreciate any advice.

EDIT:
if anyone is interested I finally got it working.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 11:27:07 AM by strgzr »

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2011, 06:00:39 AM »
Hi guys,
Just wondering if any one could give me the heads up, I have a medeli/legacy dd508 hooked via midi to my dm10, I've all ready changed all the midi notes on the dd508 to start at 37 and go up from there. They trigger just fine and every things working how it sound sound but it seams that the external triggering is much much louder than on the dm10. Its very unbalanced to say the least. Do I have to adjust each trigger on the dd508 and turn them down or turn them up on the dm10 or is there another reason for this happening??
Also it seams that sensitivity is much lower on the dm10. 

Offline crime_fightin_bug

« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
Just wanted to add some info and advice for those using a Performance Pad. The MIDI notes are all hard-coded into the board, so you can't change them. My guess is that it wasn't really designed to be a MIDI trigger, since Alesis already had that covered with the Control Pad.

The easiest workaround is to first figure out what notes the Performance Pad is sending out (also the channel), then free up those notes on the "master" module (in your case, the DM10) if there are any conflicts.

Hope this helps somebody out.

Offline Conrad55

« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
OK I have a question, according to the Trigger zone input chart, Percussion1 is zoned out for Ride 2 and perc 1.

Does that mean I could a splitter there and add a crash to perc 1??

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2013, 12:39:24 PM »
Hi,
to everyone,
I'm new and I would like to expand my alesis dm10 with 2 extra crashes.
First of all I have used all the trigger input on my dm10;
I have bought an alesis trigger I/O and connect it to the dm10's module with a midi cable (ROLAND UM-ON USB) as shown in this post,but it seems that my dm10 didn't recognize the trigger I/O..
What can I do? The problem is the midi cable?
Thanks

Offline Trondster

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2013, 12:59:12 PM »
Use a standard MIDI cable - not a MIDI-USB cable.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2013, 07:45:38 PM »
Use a standard MIDI cable - not a MIDI-USB cable.

it works!!thanks!!  ;D

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2013, 05:38:08 PM »
Hello,

I have build my own ekit and bought these cymbals http://www.fieldelectronicdrums.com/cymbals.html and I use now the trigger IO with BDF2 on my computer. All cymbals are dual zone and are chockable (exept the splash). But I experience 2 negatives, the settings for the triggers in the IO are poor (especially to get the cymbals right) and every time setting up the computer is a pain. So I am thinking to expand with a DM 10 and I have a couple questions about that:

1. I found out that the DM 10 hihat is single zone. What if I plug the hihat cable in the IO, how will that work with the DM 10? Will it work as a dual zone?

2. Does the IO only use the sounds on the module, or is it possible to make adjustments to the sounds on the DM10?

Thanx!

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2013, 06:26:41 PM »
Hi,
I have another 2 questions for you:

- why when I connect the alesis trigger to the dm10 I can't choose all the sound of the dm10 for each trigger connected to the trigger i/o?

- why when I connect these 2 modules to ez drummer it doesn't see the trigger I/o but only the dm10? (I can only use a midi usb  cable to use ez drummer)

please help me!  ;D

Offline Trondster

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2013, 02:01:33 AM »
When you scroll past the "regular" instruments on the Dm10, you get to a list of MIDI instruments. These are the ones you trigger from the Trigger I/O.
Assign the desired sounds to these instruments, and set up the Trigger I/O to use these MIDI notes.

With the Trigger I/O connected to the Dm10 you won't see two MIDI devices on your computer - only one. Map the Dm10 MIDI notes to the desired instruments, and map the "extra" MIDI notes from the Trigger I/O to the desired instruments.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2013, 04:46:13 AM »
hi,
thanks for answering,
when I scroll down the instrument on dm10 and I found the midi instrument (like midi #37) I can't choose the sound for each one..I don't know why..so I choose the sound directly from the trigger i/o but they are very limited...

Offline Trondster

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2013, 05:11:36 AM »
You can edit the sounds for each MIDI instrument in the A and B layer for each kit, just like the regular instruments. See if you can edit the sounds for a regular instrument for a kit and then try to change a MIDI instrument for the same kit.
On the Trigger I/O you change the MIDI notes, not the sounds. The Trigger I/O does not have any "sounds" as such - it makes MIDI signals; not sounds.

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2013, 07:47:05 PM »
Hi,
yes I know that the trigger i/o doesn't have sounds..  I have used the wrong words ;D
well on the dm10's module I can change the midi notes in every set for each pad conntected to it, but I can't do this for each pad connected to the trigger I/0..so I change the midi notes directly on the trigger I/o  (on the midi notes section) and they are very limited..
Is there any possibilities to choose more midi notes on the dm10's module for those pads?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2013, 10:53:19 PM »
Hi,
yes I know that the trigger i/o doesn't have sounds..  I have used the wrong words ;D
well on the dm10's module I can change the midi notes in every set for each pad conntected to it, but I can't do this for each pad connected to the trigger I/0..so I change the midi notes directly on the trigger I/o  (on the midi notes section) and they are very limited..
Is there any possibilities to choose more midi notes on the dm10's module for those pads?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you need to step back and first learn a little more about midi and how it works. I'm saying this because what you have written seems odd and doesn't correspond to what we know is doable.

First off, your Trigger I/O needs to be set to channel 10 if it isn't already. If you don't know how to change to the midi send channel of the Trigger I/O, you can find it in the manual.

The Trigger I/O can have any port's midi note changed. This isn't true on the DM10. Three of the trigger inputs on the DM10 are locked and can not have their midi notes changed.

The Trigger I/O (when used with the DM10) needs to have its midi notes for each port you use to be set to one of the following unused notes (Unused meaning not used by the DM10's trigger inputs):

MIDI#37
MIDI#39
MIDI#52
MIDI#54
MIDI#55
MIDI#56
MIDI#58
MIDI#62
MIDI#65 thru MIDI#91

Each one of those midi notes that I listed above can have any instrument of the DM10 assigned to it within the DM10 itself.

I hope that helps.

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2013, 10:09:29 AM »
Hi,

Im not seeing the reason you would need to change the MIDI notes on the DM10 itself anyway.  There is no reason for it, because on the DM10 each trigger input can be set to trigger a different sound.  The trigger I/O enables you to so easily change the Midi notes on each trigger because its just a piggyback system.  By that I mean it creates no sounds, just midi notes and needs to be used in correspondance with a module or VST.  You change the midi notes on the I/O to correspond with the Unused MIDI note in the DM10 module that you want to use.  There is no reason to change the MIDI notes on the DM10 itself

As far as when you connect the DM10 to EX drummer.  EX drummer does not need to recognize the Trigger I/O.  You trigger I/O is piggybacking off the DM10 anyway.  As long as the DM10 is recieving the MIDI notes from the trigger IO to produce that sound.  There is no reason for your VST to recognize the Trigger I/O itself.  Just The DM10.

Dude no offense, but hell fire is right.  You need to step back and read up on this stuff a little.  You are frustrating yourself and making yourself work to try and figure out things that just arent neccessary.  Not neccessary for the VST to recognize trigger I/O when used in correspondence with DM10 and not neccessary to change midi notes in DM10.  Now if you need to chance the Midi channel thats a different story.  So I would read your manuals and do a little research on what a Midi note actually does and how it works. 

« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2013, 08:02:02 AM »
I'm a Newbie!!  ;D
Anyway I have understood how to do this, and now I can assign every instrument to each extra pad!
Thanks for the help and for the patience!  :D

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2013, 09:22:27 AM »
hi everyone,
I have a question for you:
how many extra pad I can add to a dm8 module via midi with an alesis trigger i/0?
thanks!