Author Topic: GEWA-DW G9 E-Drum Workstation (I want this!)  (Read 4016 times)

Offline JimmyB

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:15:15 PM by Hellfire »

Offline ChrisK

Re: I want this!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:46:54 PM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=LXgGf6Rc14Q

it's not a vst instruments style, no mic control multi channel, total memory for all kits is 4GB flash, not ram this limit possibility, the 128GB SD is only storage, they are using the same chips as Strike Module, dream. it's 16 bit (dream chip doesn't support 24 bit), it's slow and old.
Price are pretty high https://www.drum-tec.com/search?sSearch=gewa
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:20:09 PM by ChrisK »

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:17:33 PM »
Yep. I still want it.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 11:43:43 PM »

it's not a vst instruments style, no mic control multi channel, total memory for all kits is 4GB flash, not ram this limit possibility, the 128GB SD is only storage, they are using the same chips as Strike Module, dream. it's 16 bit (dream chip doesn't support 24 bit), it's slow and old.

Damn, $10,300 aussie dollars..

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 12:33:30 AM »

they are using the same chips as Strike Module, dream. it's 16 bit (dream chip doesn't support 24 bit), it's slow and old.

If they are using the same chip as the STRIKE module...it supports up to 24 bit, stereo.. 96 kHz...

"You can use the Strike Editor to automatically import samples and convert them into instruments (as long as it will not be used as a hi-hat instrument).
"Samples must be 16-bit  or 24-bit WAV  files with a sampling rate of 44.1, 48, or 96 kHz
 (we recommend using 48 kHz files, which is what the Strike Module uses). Samples can be mono or stereo."

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:35:29 AM by Chaser »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 11:48:50 AM »

I don't know where you are getting your info on the Strike chip set. I took apart my Strike when I got it and it is using an Analog Devices Blackfin Dual Core Embedded Processor. (it is in the same family as the embedded processor for the original DM10) I'll attached some of the specs (I can't post a pdf, limit of the forum software). The 200mb kit limit is a limit of the chip set. That would mean each kit is only 200mb in size.

DW is most likely touting 4 GB flash ram because that is the maximum size of a single kit. Yes, it may not be the same size as the Pearl mimic but that doesn't mean it's crap.

I would bet the 4GB is the Ram of the drum sound system and I highly doubt DW is using the same chip set as Strike solely. DW went out of their way to state it is a multi chip design. Nobody knows how this multi chip design operates. With that stated, I would be very cautious thinking it will have the same issues as the Strike.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:06:21 PM by Hellfire »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 05:59:22 PM »

After looking at their web site it looks as if they are going to have a more affordable kit option with the same module called the Studio 5:

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 06:17:19 PM by Hellfire »

Online Hellfire

Re: GEWA-DW G9 E-Drum Workstation (I want this!)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 06:16:01 PM »

I hope you don't mind, but I changed the title of your post to make it easier for people to know what the name of this new drum kit is.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 01:58:20 AM »

I don't know where you are getting your info on the Strike chip set. I took apart my Strike when I got it and it is using an Analog Devices Blackfin Dual Core Embedded Processor. (it is in the same family as the embedded processor for the original DM10) I'll attached some of the specs (I can't post a pdf, limit of the forum software). The 200mb kit limit is a limit of the chip set. That would mean each kit is only 200mb in size.

DW is most likely touting 4 GB flash ram because that is the maximum size of a single kit. Yes, it may not be the same size as the Pearl mimic but that doesn't mean it's crap.

I would bet the 4GB is the Ram of the drum sound system and I highly doubt DW is using the same chip set as Strike solely. DW went out of their way to state it is a multi chip design. Nobody knows how this multi chip design operates. With that stated, I would be very cautious thinking it will have the same issues as the Strike.

Strange I saw this before on their site, but it have been removed, maybe they changed after. From what I know from gewa is the 4gb flash contains all their kits ex 20 kits loaded, and the 128gb are sd storage (not playable kits), the flash allow them to avoid loading kit on each kits switch from what they explained.

Also what is the heck with the position sensing? That's is still pattend from Roland as I know, unless they don't released in US until it expired?

BTW I think their triggers and cymbal are re branded DTTI, did not like the surface and bottom construction.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:39:31 AM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 08:39:00 AM »
Strange I saw this before on their site, but it have been removed, maybe they changed after. From what I know from gewa is the 4gb flash contains all their kits ex 20 kits loaded, and the 128gb are sd storage (not playable kits), the flash allow them to avoid loading kit on each kits switch from what they explained.

Well, if what you say is true about the 4gb flash containing all 20 kits, then you are correct that it would be like the Strike. 4000MB (which is 4GB) divide by 20 kits is 200MB per kit. If this is the case DW is dead in the water at the price there are asking. What I don't get is Gewa/DW stated: "up to 100 layers on a given instrument". I realize that not every instrument is going to be that deep with layers, but if an instrument has 100 layers I don't know how they would fit an entire drum kit in 200MB. Again, I'm assuming spec based on what you have stated.

Also what is the heck with the position sensing? That's is still pattend from Roland as I know, unless they don't released in US until it expired?

To be honest, we don't know if they are releasing in the USA this year. They could be waiting until next year (2019) which I believe is when that Roland patent expires.

Or they could be claiming a different position sensing. I'm guessing this is the case since they are calling it "HD" position sensing. I saw somewhere that Gewa/DW claims 5 millimeters of sensing. Roland does not have that kind of precision with PS. Maybe that's the loop hole?

BTW I think their triggers and cymbal are re branded DTTI, did not like the surface and bottom construction.

At this point (with the Roland patents going away) everything is going to come down to esthetics. The design doesn't look bad to me. I'm not "Wowed" by it, but it looks fine.

I'm not overly critical to the way kits look as long as the look good. The Gewa/DW kit (including the Studio 5 model) looks good to me.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 03:06:34 AM »

they are using the same chips as Strike Module, dream. it's 16 bit (dream chip doesn't support 24 bit), it's slow and old.

If they are using the same chip as the STRIKE module...it supports up to 24 bit, stereo.. 96 kHz...

"You can use the Strike Editor to automatically import samples and convert them into instruments (as long as it will not be used as a hi-hat instrument).
"Samples must be 16-bit  or 24-bit WAV  files with a sampling rate of 44.1, 48, or 96 kHz
 (we recommend using 48 kHz files, which is what the Strike Module uses). Samples can be mono or stereo."

This is the editor not the playback rate in strike, editor will convert it to 16 bits, try to imports 24 bit files in 96khz and see how much in native wav format size vs exported from the editor it will exceed 200mb in native wav.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 03:13:19 AM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 12:43:09 PM »

Well, if what you say is true about the 4gb flash containing all 20 kits, then you are correct that it would be like the Strike. 4000MB (which is 4GB) divide by 20 kits is 200MB per kit. If this is the case DW is dead in the water at the price there are asking. What I don't get is Gewa/DW stated: "up to 100 layers on a given instrument". I realize that not every instrument is going to be that deep with layers, but if an instrument has 100 layers I don't know how they would fit an entire drum kit in 200MB. Again, I'm assuming spec based on what you have stated.

To be honest, we don't know if they are releasing in the USA this year. They could be waiting until next year (2019) which I believe is when that Roland patent expires.

Or they could be claiming a different position sensing. I'm guessing this is the case since they are calling it "HD" position sensing. I saw somewhere that Gewa/DW claims 5 millimeters of sensing. Roland does not have that kind of precision with PS. Maybe that's the loop hole?

At this point (with the Roland patents going away) everything is going to come down to esthetics. The design doesn't look bad to me. I'm not "Wowed" by it, but it looks fine.

I'm not overly critical to the way kits look as long as the look good. The Gewa/DW kit (including the Studio 5 model) looks good to me.

The only module that are in the market using Flash and Sd cards for storage are strike and atv ad5, both using kits under 230mb per kits, I have the instruments size on ad5, they are about the same as the strike but in 24 bits natives.

Concerning position sensing, since they told will be released in fall, lets said, November, lately all module taken approx 1 years to be released from the initial announcement, I would not be surprised gewa could be released in Q1 2019, Europe first, and after like few month later, when Roland position sensing will be expired, will be released in Europe. You know how Roland use improved patents, see strike kit they sue them, it's like patenting a tuning range, but gewa added sens pitch tuning range, still the base pitch change in more subtle way. Roland could claim, we are using the 360 surface combination of center cone and mesh, sound change from direction based from the center cone position to the edge of the rim, adding more precise or less, still using the same base detection from center cone to rims.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:18:14 AM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 12:23:54 PM »
I have more information.

2gb are reserved for default preset\internal instruments, and 2gb for sound store, include mp3 and single shots wav files, (128sd cards is not active, only to store files to load into flash) This is really limited and nothing close to 2box, or any vst library, figure 10 kits can't reach more then 200mb total. a single vst kits is around 8GB per kits in native wav, and 3gb in vst format and require ssd drive or rotary drive.

It won't be much better in term of sound compare to strike but heavily more expensive.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:25:04 PM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 10:12:34 AM »
Was just looking at a couple videos from Musikmesse 2018 on this kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFJmeCeVEDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB5gFdvt8BE

I like how (in the first video) the cross stick sound is achieved by using velocity switching. This is something that the Alesis Strike can do as well to give you a virtual three zone snare. Believe or not this is also able to be done with the original Alesis DM10: {DM10} THREE ZONE SNARE (with one dual zone trigger!)

I think this is a great way to get a little more out of any edrum kit. I wish more manufactures would incorporate velocity switching in their module. Of course they really need to incorporate the switching midi as well so this can be used with VSTs. I think the only module that does the midi switching is the Alternate Mode DITI.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 12:35:17 PM »
I watched the bottom video when it first came out
After reviewing again I noticed in the video he mentions the cymbals are 3 zone with choke. (starting at 0:20 )
There are 2 inputs on the trigger box , but that the G9 only uses one and the other is for compatibility with other brands/modules.
The G9 module tech specs shows all the modules jacks are  1/4" TRRS.Including headphones, foot switch , mix in.. etc
When I originally read this when the site went online I thought this may have been a error/typo and eventually they would correct as I haven't ever seen any 1/4" TRRS cables/jacks etc.
The kit in the videos doesn't show any cables anywhere.I wonder if they are going to have a proprietary cable?

https://www.gewaelectronics.com/

Online Hellfire

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 01:09:32 PM »
I watched the bottom video when it first came out
After reviewing again I noticed in the video he mentions the cymbals are 3 zone with choke. (starting at 0:20 )
There are 2 inputs on the trigger box , but that the G9 only uses one and the other is for compatibility with other brands/modules.
The G9 module tech specs shows all the modules jacks are  1/4" TRRS.Including headphones, foot switch , mix in.. etc
When I originally read this when the site went online I thought this may have been a error/typo and eventually they would correct as I haven't ever seen any 1/4" TRRS cables/jacks etc.
The kit in the videos doesn't show any cables anywhere.I wonder if they are going to have a proprietary cable?

https://www.gewaelectronics.com/

As to the 1/4" TRRS. I've actually seen these before. No they are not common (the 1/8" TRRS is very common), but I don't know if I would call them proprietary. I have a feeling more and more manufactures are going to start using the TRRS connection. It's either that or the standard USB "A" type connector. The truth is, nobody really want multiple cables hanging from their trigger. I hate the two cable three zone set-up. I like the Yamaha/Simmons style single standard TRS three zone set-up better. It's much cleaner looking.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 08:31:55 PM »

I like how (in the first video) the cross stick sound is achieved by using velocity switching. This is something that the Alesis Strike can do as well to give you a virtual three zone snare. Believe or not this is also able to be done with the original Alesis DM10: {DM10} THREE ZONE SNARE (with one dual zone trigger!)

You can do this on Mimic and Roland as well, in mimic you can do this even with toms, using 3 articulation sound on snare\toms and you can assign 3 articulation sound on Crash and Ride, bell, bow and edge. Using Yamaha Ride, you are using one cable for 3 zone bell, bow and edge, you can use 2 full Yamaha 3 zone ride with MIMIC, or one 3 zone Roland, or countless ride with Roland style using 2 zone.

Ps: I don't like the interface of it, GUI rotary knobs are useless with touch screen, you need to double tap on each one always, to get the precise dialing fader, make much more longer to dial everything and countless double tape all the time.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:46:45 PM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 10:26:49 PM »

You can do this on Mimic and Roland as well, in mimic you can do this even with toms, using 3 articulation sound on snare\toms and you can assign 3 articulation sound on Crash and Ride, bell, bow and edge. Using Yamaha Ride, you are using one cable for 3 zone bell, bow and edge, you can use 2 full Yamaha 3 zone ride with MIMIC, or one 3 zone Roland, or countless ride with Roland style using 2 zone...

You can do velocity switching on pretty much every zone on the Strike (and the original DM10 for that matter). My whole reason for pointing this out is to show that this isn't a new idea and Alesis actually did this (i.e. the DM10 from 2009) long before it was a standard feature on high end modules. Unfortunately most users back then couldn't wrap their head around the benefit of this programing feature.