Author Topic: Strike Volume Levels  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Iggford

Strike Volume Levels
« on: March 16, 2018, 10:40:02 AM »
Ok, I'm going to try to explain my question, as it sounds really confusing in my head.  I know what I'm trying to find out about, I'm just not sure of the right way to explain it. 

Does anyone know how the sliders on the front of the Strike module work in relation to the level settings in the kit editor?

Here's my situation:

I know that on the DM10, the default levels of each instrument are set in the kit editor.  I know that the mixer has no real bearing on the levels until you actually move one of the sliders.  I always kept mine at the bottom end, and adjusted them only if my default kit settings weren't quite right for the gig we were playing.  It did no good to dial in with the mixer, since those levels reset to default (based on the kit editor again) once the power is cycled on the module.

My question is, how does the Strike handle this?  If you set an instrument at, say a level of 75, does the mixer take that into consideration when the mixer levels are changed?  I know the Strike holds the mixer settings when the module is turned off (which I very much like), but I am having a hard time determining if they work together or are independent of each other.  I've been testing on the fly at band practice to find a suitable level for each pad.  I bumped up the level settings in the voice editor, and then balanced with the mixer.  Is it even necessary to do both?

Basically, is an instrument set to level 50 going to be the same volume as the same instrument set to level 99 if the mixer level for that pad is all the way up?

I can make adjustments at home and everything sounds fine, but it's always different when I'm hooked through the band's PA system.  So, I'm just trying to find out if anyone has any insight on the situation, and whether or not I'm wasting time messing with the level settings if I'm going to use the mixer to balance everything out anyway.  I'm starting to think the level settings in the editor are basically to balance the mix between the two layers, but I'm still unsure.  The manual hasn't been a whole lot of help on the issue, either!

Thanks once again for your help!

--
Shawn

Re: Strike Volume Levels
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »
Good question. I use the individual outputs, which are completely unaffected by the sliders, so I don't use the mixer. Or the Compression, or FX or that stuff.

I only mess with the sliders at home, and I"m not hooked up to my computer. They are still at the level I last left them when I turn it back on. Is that what you mean?

Offline Iggford

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 09:58:38 AM »
Good question. I use the individual outputs, which are completely unaffected by the sliders, so I don't use the mixer. Or the Compression, or FX or that stuff.

I only mess with the sliders at home, and I"m not hooked up to my computer. They are still at the level I last left them when I turn it back on. Is that what you mean?

Yes, that is exactly what I am referring to.  I love the fact that these settings are held between sessions.  I haven't used the individual outputs yet, though.  We will more than likely use them when we record our next album, but for rehearsasl and gigs using our PA system, so far all I've used is the Main Out.

I was able to test the volume levels, however, this weekend.  I did find that the specified volume level does play a part even if you use the mixer.  In my experience, a voice set to a level 99 and full volume on the mixer was still louder than a voice set to 50 and full mixer volume.

Using this information, I set all of my voices in the user kits I made to level 99.  Then, I set the mixer levels to get the best mix.  The only voices I had to alter after that were a couple of rim assignments that just needed to be quieter than they were.  Since head and rim are bound together in the mixer, I lowered the rim volumes as needed individually in the kit settings.

I feel like this gave me an excellent mix for the kit.  I bumped up the gain levels on my mixer channels out to the PA, so I was able to leave myself quite a bit of head room in the module in case I need it.  I still have some head room in the Strike mixer as well, allowing me to make quick changes on the fly if necessary. 

I'm excited to see how all of this plays out in my first gig with the new kit next Friday!

--
Shawn

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »
Wait... so the levels set on the module's onboard mixer hold their values after shutting down and powering back up?
That's crazy Awesome! I want that!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Iggford

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 09:39:21 AM »
They do!  I was very happy when I found out!  To me, it makes things a lot easier when it comes to setting up for rehearsals.  I imagine sound check will be easier, too.

It's the small things sometimes.....  ;D

--
Shawn

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 06:21:03 PM »
OH! Now I understand the question.

When you set the volumes in a kit, and save the kit, you'll have those volumes whenever you call up that kit. However, you can still change them, using the SLIDERS.

What I was talking about is using the individual outputs, which the sliders do NOT affect in any way. But the volumes SAVED in the kit will still be there. I only use one tom slider, so I premix the toms and save the kit. That way, they are the same when I set up again. Same with cymbals.