Author Topic: hello all! and any help gratefully received  (Read 1892 times)

hello all! and any help gratefully received
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:41:33 PM »
Hi to all you guys on this forum:) I very nearly trashed the idea of this because of the very quirky account activation process but hey I'm here now!

trip down memory lane time...
I have used electronics for about 35 years and came across an old piece of Alesis kit that I thought had gotten rid of- Alesis DM pro???
it still works and love the machine however the editing is just as painful as I remember !!

can anyone help with editing software? I remember sound diver / sound bridge but has long disappeared..
I know midi sound quest do various platforms ( I'm on Mac intel i5 running OS10.12.6 ) but cannot justify $300-400 for something I would hardly use..
any (non abusive) ideas would be gratefully received

Finster65

Offline Hellfire

Re: hello all! and any help gratefully received
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 08:34:23 PM »
Hi to all you guys on this forum:) I very nearly trashed the idea of this because of the very quirky account activation process but hey I'm here now!

trip down memory lane time...
I have used electronics for about 35 years and came across an old piece of Alesis kit that I thought had gotten rid of- Alesis DM pro???
it still works and love the machine however the editing is just as painful as I remember !!

can anyone help with editing software? I remember sound diver / sound bridge but has long disappeared..
I know midi sound quest do various platforms ( I'm on Mac intel i5 running OS10.12.6 ) but cannot justify $300-400 for something I would hardly use..
any (non abusive) ideas would be gratefully received

Finster65

Welcome to the forum Finster65. Sorry about the activation process. It's a little quirky to try to minimize the amount of spammers.

I almost said "Wow!" when I saw you've been in edrums for 35 years, until I looked at the calendar and realized I've been using some kind of edrum for 29/30ish years myself (1988 I start using a Yamaha DD5 with my acoustic kit). :P

Alesis DMpro...I had one of those back in '98 and yes the editing is very painful. The problem with sound bridge (and the rest of the software that came with it) was never updated to work with modern computers that I know of. I have read back in 2013 of someone getting sound bridge to work on Window 7. I think Mac Software is going to be a tough one.

Midi Quest 11 Essentials ($149.00) looks like the only option. I know the Alesis DM5 has a free editor but I don't know of a free editor for the DMPro. I wish I could help more.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:42:35 PM »
I still have all the software..both Win and Mac.
Emagic was purchased by Apple , then for the most part ended support at OS9..I believe you could run it in "Classic Mode" in earlier Tiger/Leopard.I can remember which version supported it...
In order to use SoundDiver I think you also needed a Emagic dongle , it's been years and I sold my old Mac/OS9/Opcode system a few years ago.
In the Windows version the CD must be present..I have all the Windows versions/ updates..but no CD so I couldn't install/test on Win10.

I did however have no problems with SoundBridge installation and creating an instrument and a project file in WIN 10.(screenshot attached)

As Hellfire mention about MidiQuest essentials for Mac...MidiQuest also released an iOS app.I have been using it for a while and they have their coders working on it and alot of updating in the past few months mainly to get Ram usage down so iPads other than the Pro could use it also.
It is free..except..you have to buy the modules.
Download from the App store.. test the DM Pro module.. FREE = wont save etc etc.
The DMPro module is an in app purchase ...$69.99

I have been trying to get them for years to do a DM10 module...even sent everything I had ..links to the editor from here..NRPN etc.
The last response I received was there wasn't enough interest/requests for it..maybe if DM10 owners start requesting it they may do one.
There must be 1,000's of modules out there.
...DM10 with the Ipad as an editor....

I can't remember if SoundBridge 3.0 only works if the DM Pro is the upgraded version 2.0

Sound_bridge_3.0.1d2 for WIN...works fine in WIN10..

Here is everything I have for Mac....you'll need an earlier OS...

SoundBridge_v30 for Mac ..it's a .hqx file..I think you use Stuffit/Expander..
Here are the links for SoundDiver(Mac)..they are all .img files
SoundDiver
http://www.macos9lives.com/downloads/public/SoundDiver/

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 08:38:06 AM »
hi chaser & hellfire thanks for the welcome & to you both for replying- I wasn't expecting anything at all so power to you both!

I have an old iMac which I may be able to partition and run some old software in classic mode as it were so thanks chaser.
from a history point of view I got started decades ago with a Casio electronic interface - can't rem the part no .. midi to an alesis sr16?
then moved to a Roland PM16 ? as the triggering was better. used on a hybrid pearl rack with acoustic kick snare and cymbals alongside Simmons hexaheads which I still have somewhere!
when the D4 came out I was in heaven as I could trigger with ddrum bugs and we used a lot of midi sequencing at the time.
I then upped the anti and bought a very second hand ddrum2 kit from Mel Gaynor the drummer with English band simple minds which I felt was better again regarding velocity curve. next was the ddrum4 which was also pretty cool. all on a rack with acoustic cymbals.
then the td8 came out and myself and an engineering friend of mine constructed an electronic kit c/w cymbals ( I think circular Roland cymbals were in development at the time so we made our own. all again on a purpose built rack on a drum riser on wheels! used this for about 5 years on the road and slowly replaced with Roland cymbals .. had the td8 on a rack draw alongside the dmpro for sequencing sound source..it was pretty cool.I kid you not - will upload some pics as id like all here to see them.
I won a Roland spds sample pad at a drum clinic and used that on and off tie I went into retirement (for all of 10 months!)

currently using a Yamaha oak custom kit with with a Roland tm2 and bt1 and pd8 pads.. discovered I still had the dmpro and fancied utilising it to create sounds to then trigger from the tm2.. I may just bin the idea and look at the Spd sx buy hey ho!
sorry for the life story but I thought some of this might be of interest!

found pics: hexaheads, ddrum2, drumlec (td8 copy kit)