Author Topic: Introducing DMEditor (now version 1.1a and open source!)  (Read 113092 times)

Offline Corvidae

Re: Introducing DMEditor (now version 1.1a and open source!)
« Reply #150 on: May 28, 2014, 11:57:42 AM »
The problem with trigger settings is that they vary wildly depending on conversion (and which type of conversion), physical layout of the kit, instrument layout, even the floor surface. Everyone's settings are different, so overwriting your tuned settings with someone else's can really screw things up and render the kit basically unplayable until it's set back up for your environment.

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2014, 01:53:41 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way...

I think by now we understand the repercussions of overwriting the kits/settings, but that should not be the excuse not to share them. There are instructions on how to back up your kit/trigger settings, load a new kit/triggersettings, and reload your kit/triggersettings if something goes wrong. Also, the disclaimer of "Do this at your own risk" could be added.

Think of it being similar to custom ROMS for cellphones. Sure they could brick your phone, but you do so at your own risk. It doesn't stop the people creating the ROMS from sharing them. I can't count how many ROMS i've loaded to my android.

I agree that someones settings may not work well with another's kit based on all the different variables, but if it gets them closer to what they desire their kit to sound like with some additional tweaking..why not share them out.

Having said that, I do not have any to share. I wish I did. I just work with the stock kits, but there's a lot to be desired there. I love Deedubs kit.

I don't know, it seems to me that sharing trigger settings/kits is looked down upon with the excuse of "everyone's settings are different".
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2014, 04:08:46 PM »
Only the physical trigger settings can be problematic. Kits are a completely different thing in that there should be no problems sharing those at all.

« Reply #153 on: May 27, 2015, 10:58:49 PM »
IFL

Offline iCe

Re: Introducing DMEditor (now version 1.1!)
« Reply #154 on: June 23, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »
You probably need to enable MIDI program changes on your module. Hit Utility, then MIDI (second button from the left under the display), then EXT (same button). Make sure "Prog Chng" is set to "RECEIVE" (should be OFF by default).

Once that's done, try relaunching DMEditor and see if that works.

Had that problem too and now it works fine! Thanks :)
Alesis DM10 Studio kit with 682drums mesh heads
Asus F551MAV-BING-SX1008B - Laptop

« Reply #155 on: September 06, 2015, 07:21:17 PM »
Corvidae - I'm under the assumption that DMEditor's purpose is for the user to add/remove user-made kits to/from your alesis, or potentially backup user-made kits to your computer from the alesis.
As such, please excuse me if this has been answered prior (or if its just a dumb set of questions):
1) To make this simple, let's say I have 2 user made kits (kit 100 and kit 101). Someone sends me 10 user-made kits via download (this for example). Can I use the DMEditor to add them onto the end of what I have (so kits 102 through 111)?

2) If so, how do I accomplish this?

3) Or simply, how do you accomplish the list of things above that I assumed that DMEditor's purpose is for?

I guess by answering #3, you'd be giving me a total walk through of how to use the program properly and, as such, I would know how to do #'s 1 and 2 above.

Sorry if any of this sounds confusing. Thanks for your help!

Offline rhysT

« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2015, 01:41:38 AM »
Corvidae - I'm under the assumption that DMEditor's purpose is for the user to add/remove user-made kits to/from your alesis, or potentially backup user-made kits to your computer from the alesis.
As such, please excuse me if this has been answered prior (or if its just a dumb set of questions):
1) To make this simple, let's say I have 2 user made kits (kit 100 and kit 101). Someone sends me 10 user-made kits via download (this for example). Can I use the DMEditor to add them onto the end of what I have (so kits 102 through 111)?

2) If so, how do I accomplish this?

3) Or simply, how do you accomplish the list of things above that I assumed that DMEditor's purpose is for?

I guess by answering #3, you'd be giving me a total walk through of how to use the program properly and, as such, I would know how to do #'s 1 and 2 above.

Sorry if any of this sounds confusing. Thanks for your help!

To keep this simple, let's say I'm "someone sending 10 user-made kits via download" and consider using DMEditor!
No doubt Corvidae has applied much time and effort trying to extract the DM10 kit and trigger settings to import them into DMEditor, but apparently Alesis have made it difficult to achieve. 
An alternate option is to keep track of preferred tweaks to the existing kits settings in a worksheet and they can be manually entered into DMEditor to share any revised kits. The included kit templare shows how many instrument settings there are for each kit, so if anyone is prepared to enter their custom settings into DMEditor then go for it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:45:14 AM by rhysT »

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »
Basically what rhysT said. ;)

Sharing one kit via text is okay, but 10 kits would be a long mess. If they're already in DMEditor, you could just share the .dmk file and anyone else could import it as whatever kit they wanted. Failing that, it should just be a matter of plugging in the numbers, saving the kit / instrument, and sending it to the module.

« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »
Not really sure the 2 above responses answered my set of questions. I guess the kits sent to me via the link above are just excel spreadsheet-style and I would have to enter them manually. If so, yeah I get that it would be arduous.

However, is there some sort of wiki to where I can understand DMeditor better, so I can use it to its full potential? Thanks.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2015, 06:32:42 PM »
Not really sure the 2 above responses answered my set of questions. I guess the kits sent to me via the link above are just excel spreadsheet-style and I would have to enter them manually. If so, yeah I get that it would be arduous.

However, is there some sort of wiki to where I can understand DMeditor better, so I can use it to its full potential? Thanks.

DMEditor is convenient for loading kit settings into DM10/8 modules after they've been entered manually. It's easy to use and allows settings to be stored for Kits 100 to 199 (via a drop-down list),

Regarding the DM10 revised kits in my worksheet, you can simply copy any of the listed kit numbers to the spare user kits above 100. Then change the instrument parameter settings for each kit's trigger inputs similar to the worksheet values and save the revised kit/s.

« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2015, 11:08:45 PM »

DMEditor is convenient for loading kit settings into DM10/8 modules after they've been entered manually. It's easy to use and allows settings to be stored for Kits 100 to 199 (via a drop-down list),

Regarding the DM10 revised kits in my worksheet, you can simply copy any of the listed kit numbers to the spare user kits above 100. Then change the instrument parameter settings for each kit's trigger inputs similar to the worksheet values and save the revised kit/s.

Right... that all makes sense. So - say I manually enter the kits you shared with me via worksheet, I would then be able to back them up as VST's onto my computer?

Also, when loading kits via DMeditor, is it an all-or-nothing dump, or are you able to pick and choose or add on to the end of already saved kits that are in the DM10?

I hope I'm being clear, and if not please ask me to elaborate. Thanks again - seriously not trying to be difficult lol.

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2015, 12:28:24 AM »
Right... that all makes sense. So - say I manually enter the kits you shared with me via worksheet, I would then be able to back them up as VST's onto my computer?

VSTs are a completely different beast, but yes. Once you have the data in DMEditor, you can save the data in either a full module file (includes all kits), an individual kit (including all instruments), or just a single instrument if you want. Back those files up and you can transfer / share them with others, or just save them if you decide to change them in the module and want to go back to the "known good" copy.

Also, when loading kits via DMeditor, is it an all-or-nothing dump, or are you able to pick and choose or add on to the end of already saved kits that are in the DM10?

As far as I recall (it _has_ been a while, after all), changing data in DMEditor only changes the data for that kit in the module, and only if you're in "online mode." If that's not checked, it won't send anything to the module at all. If you want to load a kit into a different slot on the module, just change it with the dropdown in the upper right corner to the destination, then load the .dmk file to send just that kit to the module.

Does that make sense?

« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2016, 02:20:40 PM »
DMEditorMac -- Mac version of DMEditor

I am a new member to this forum (well, a year old, but never posted anything.)

I have been working on a Mac version of DMEditor for the past year (on and off -- not full time). I simply name it DMEditorMac.

Last year, I have approached Corvidae if I can use his codes as a starting base, and he kindly agreed.

BTW, after digging into Corvidae codes, let me just say DMEditor is really a well written piece of software. I can only imagine the time and energy it took for him to code it up!

Originally, my porting strategy was to use the Mono framework and run DMEditor as is; that should be a quick port.

I quickly found out two big hurdles: (1) Mono's rendition of Windows UI looks awkward. There are a lot of places where it is not usable without lots of tweaking. (2) the MIDI APIs used in the Windows version has to be ported over to Mono's.

Since the retrofiting effort was going to be extensive, I decided to rewrite the entire UI interface using GTK#, on Mono, which looks and behave more like Mac. However, I was still able to use a lot of the core implementation by Corvidae (thankfully!).

I tried to bring as much functionality from the Windows version over to Mac as possible. The drum and kit files created in the Windows version should work in DMEditorMac as well (though not yet tested!).

Right now, I am asking for Mac beta testers. While I have tested it extensively, its always good to have someone else look at it and provide feedback. As I am doing this as a hobby (with full-time job, young kids, etc..it took me more than a year to get to this point!), I cannot guarantee fast response.

So, anyone interested in trying out DMEditorMac, please contact me.

After the beta testing phase, I will open source the codes so that other folks can build on it if they choose to. If I cannot address all the issues, I hope others can help move the ball forward.

One other thing -- you will need to download the Mono framework in order to run DMEditorMac. This is because a commercial license is needed to create a self sufficient application, and I wasn't prepared to pay for it. This should not be a complicated task. I hope that will not deter general users. I will provide instructions.

Cheers!

Offline rhysT

« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2016, 06:57:35 PM »
Hi Bluesky,

Apparently there's fairly limited interest in the DMEditor as VSTIs are a logical alternative to the DM10 internal sounds.

Although if it could capture kit and instrument settings from the module, that may encourage users to share their custom kits more.

The attached DM10 Kit template worksheet indicates how many instrument settings to be entered or checked manually for each kit.

« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2016, 07:55:28 AM »
Bluesky - I would be very interested in trying the Mac version.

« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2016, 10:24:42 AM »
DMEditorMac -- Mac version of DMEditor

I am a new member to this forum (well, a year old, but never posted anything.)

I have been working on a Mac version of DMEditor for the past year (on and off -- not full time). I simply name it DMEditorMac.

Last year, I have approached Corvidae if I can use his codes as a starting base, and he kindly agreed.

BTW, after digging into Corvidae codes, let me just say DMEditor is really a well written piece of software. I can only imagine the time and energy it took for him to code it up!

Originally, my porting strategy was to use the Mono framework and run DMEditor as is; that should be a quick port.

I quickly found out two big hurdles: (1) Mono's rendition of Windows UI looks awkward. There are a lot of places where it is not usable without lots of tweaking. (2) the MIDI APIs used in the Windows version has to be ported over to Mono's.

Since the retrofiting effort was going to be extensive, I decided to rewrite the entire UI interface using GTK#, on Mono, which looks and behave more like Mac. However, I was still able to use a lot of the core implementation by Corvidae (thankfully!).

I tried to bring as much functionality from the Windows version over to Mac as possible. The drum and kit files created in the Windows version should work in DMEditorMac as well (though not yet tested!).

Right now, I am asking for Mac beta testers. While I have tested it extensively, its always good to have someone else look at it and provide feedback. As I am doing this as a hobby (with full-time job, young kids, etc..it took me more than a year to get to this point!), I cannot guarantee fast response.

So, anyone interested in trying out DMEditorMac, please contact me.

After the beta testing phase, I will open source the codes so that other folks can build on it if they choose to. If I cannot address all the issues, I hope others can help move the ball forward.

One other thing -- you will need to download the Mono framework in order to run DMEditorMac. This is because a commercial license is needed to create a self sufficient application, and I wasn't prepared to pay for it. This should not be a complicated task. I hope that will not deter general users. I will provide instructions.

Cheers!

Was the Mac version ever shared here?

Offline Corvidae

« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2016, 03:28:39 PM »
I'm not sure if it was ever completed. I haven't heard anything about it, either.

Offline URRR

« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2018, 05:53:38 AM »
Hi! Can someone share their DM-10 X Kit kits so they can be used? Thank you colleagues! yyefimov@gmail.com

Offline rhysT

« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2018, 04:28:10 PM »
You can check out my recently updated DM10 revised kits as explained here: http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4240.msg42481#msg42481

Unfortunately the original DM10 module doesn't allow individual kits to be loaded from an All Memory Sysex file.

For more info refer to: http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=947.0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 04:46:58 PM by rhysT »

Offline URRR

« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2018, 02:30:38 PM »
I'm ready to make a mirror of your DM-10. On my DM-10 there are no user settings and I can overwrite it with your settings.

« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2018, 12:47:03 PM »
Hi Everyone - I'm a little late to the game here, but when I download the archive from Codeplex, I am not seeing a .exe program. The original site with FAQs doesn't seem to be active anymore so any help is greatly appreciated! Is the program still available? I have put a pic below of what I see once I unzip. Ok nvm I can't put an image in...

« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2019, 06:23:18 PM »
@NovusCantus Did you figure it out? I'm trying to get it up but all I see is a bunch of files. Thanks man

« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2019, 05:52:20 PM »
Hi Everyone - I'm a little late to the game here, but when I download the archive from Codeplex, I am not seeing a .exe program. The original site with FAQs doesn't seem to be active anymore so any help is greatly appreciated! Is the program still available? I have put a pic below of what I see once I unzip. Ok nvm I can't put an image in...

Hi, did you solve it? I would also like it, I would also like it.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2019, 08:41:35 PM »

The DMEditor project started 7 years ago..The final version was 1.1a.Windows only.
A MAC version was never completed and it seems every new OS from Apple breaks everything so it would be tedious to maintain.
To make it simple I attached the final version.It includes Elektron C6 and a couple .syx files from one of the members here who has extensive knowledge using it.
I tested in Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 v1809 and it still functions properly.
I do not have an Original DM10 module , but there may be a few members that are still familiar with the editor.
Refer to these topics , which include the one you are currently in.

https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2365.150
https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4240.msg42481#msg42481

I recommend you back everything up before you begin.

FAQ
Settings changes in DMEditor don't take effect on the module!
Is DMEditor using the correct MIDI output port? You can check this under Tools -> Options.
Make sure DMEditor is in online mode (Tools -> Online Mode should be checked).

I can change settings, but the active kit doesn't change (including the shift to Kit 100 on program load)!
By default, the DM10 ignores kit change messages. You can change this through Utility -> MIDI (F2) -> Ext (F2) -> Prog Chng (should be set to 'RECEIVE')

I want to edit a kit between 0-99!
These are the base kits in the module; if you want to change them, be my guest. You're not supposed to, though.

What are the limitations of DMEditor?
Unfortunately, as the interface that Alesis has provided for controlling the DM-series modules is incomplete, there are several limitations that DMEditor must work around:
You are unable to save or rename kits from the PC side; that needs to be done on the module.
All save/rename functionality on the PC side relates only to the module/kit files themselves and will not show up on the module.
Any changes made on the module will not be reflected in DMEditor, as there is no way for the module to pass settings change messages back across the MIDI channel. This includes any sets you've already created, as well; you'll need to recreate them in DMEditor to be able to edit them.

I have the BlueJay soundset and want to use it! I can only select stock sounds.
When starting the program, create a new module file and tell it you want to load the BlueJay soundset. That should give you the proper instruments.

What's the difference between .dmi, .dmk, and .dmm files?
.dmi is a single instrument. .dmk is a full kit (including all the instruments). .dmm is a full module (includes all kits 100-199)

What do the checkboxes under the Tools menu do?
If the 'Online Mode' checkbox isn't checked, any changes you make won't be sent to the DM10, even though it may be connected. This can be used to change settings while plugged into the DM10 without changing the module.
'Auto-Kit Change' does exactly what it sound like; if this is checked, changing the active kit in DMEditor will change the kit on the DM10. If it's unchecked, you can switch to a different kit without changing the DM10's current kit.

« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2019, 04:08:08 AM »

The DMEditor project started 7 years ago..The final version was 1.1a.Windows only.
A MAC version was never completed and it seems every new OS from Apple breaks everything so it would be tedious to maintain.
To make it simple I attached the final version.It includes Elektron C6 and a couple .syx files from one of the members here who has extensive knowledge using it.
I tested in Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 v1809 and it still functions properly.
I do not have an Original DM10 module , but there may be a few members that are still familiar with the editor.
Refer to these topics , which include the one you are currently in.

https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2365.150
https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=4240.msg42481#msg42481

I recommend you back everything up before you begin.

FAQ
Settings changes in DMEditor don't take effect on the module!
Is DMEditor using the correct MIDI output port? You can check this under Tools -> Options.
Make sure DMEditor is in online mode (Tools -> Online Mode should be checked).

I can change settings, but the active kit doesn't change (including the shift to Kit 100 on program load)!
By default, the DM10 ignores kit change messages. You can change this through Utility -> MIDI (F2) -> Ext (F2) -> Prog Chng (should be set to 'RECEIVE')

I want to edit a kit between 0-99!
These are the base kits in the module; if you want to change them, be my guest. You're not supposed to, though.

What are the limitations of DMEditor?
Unfortunately, as the interface that Alesis has provided for controlling the DM-series modules is incomplete, there are several limitations that DMEditor must work around:
You are unable to save or rename kits from the PC side; that needs to be done on the module.
All save/rename functionality on the PC side relates only to the module/kit files themselves and will not show up on the module.
Any changes made on the module will not be reflected in DMEditor, as there is no way for the module to pass settings change messages back across the MIDI channel. This includes any sets you've already created, as well; you'll need to recreate them in DMEditor to be able to edit them.

I have the BlueJay soundset and want to use it! I can only select stock sounds.
When starting the program, create a new module file and tell it you want to load the BlueJay soundset. That should give you the proper instruments.

What's the difference between .dmi, .dmk, and .dmm files?
.dmi is a single instrument. .dmk is a full kit (including all the instruments). .dmm is a full module (includes all kits 100-199)

What do the checkboxes under the Tools menu do?
If the 'Online Mode' checkbox isn't checked, any changes you make won't be sent to the DM10, even though it may be connected. This can be used to change settings while plugged into the DM10 without changing the module.
'Auto-Kit Change' does exactly what it sound like; if this is checked, changing the active kit in DMEditor will change the kit on the DM10. If it's unchecked, you can switch to a different kit without changing the DM10's current kit.

Thank you so much, you helped me